Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC DVR Reviews / Questions / Help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i though that "dvd" button was for Dvd Recorders only and not for standard DVD Player controls!?

Hmm the codes in the manual seem to be for DVD players...

does DVD player/recorder not mean both???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Eamo71 wrote:
    Hi all,

Anyone having any trouble tuning in your DVD player to the UPC remote. I have tried the codes provided and the other option in the manual and to no avail.
    My DVD is a Toshiba SD360E.

Thanks,

E71

It definitely works with DVD players and not just DVD recorders.

Have you tried doing the search funnction where the box looks up the code for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

murpho999 wrote:
    It definitely works with DVD players and not just DVD recorders.

Have you tried doing the search funnction where the box looks up the code for you?

yes it says the UPC button should flash but mine doesn;t. I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ok seeing as mine finally arrived the other day though not without problems (check 'another irate customer' thread) here is my review.

Its a bit higher than a standard dvd player but not quite as wide. It looks ok, has a sometimes handy display for the channel and the program being watched.
    Quality seems good, I cant detect any difference between recorded and live transmissions. Normal 'pixelating' occurs on fast moving pics though.
    The main guide is quite good, comes faster than the old pace box ie, it never shows that 'gathering data' message that used to show. You can scroll down through the channels much faster. In fact you can now hold the 'down' button and it will continously scroll. (pace box didn't - very annoying you had to keep pressing on and off the button)
    Setting a prog to record via the guide is very easy. Little more complex to set a prog manually though.
    Choosing and watching your programmes is a breeze. When you've come straight from using the old video for many years it's reminiscent of using CD's for the first time without the joys of rewinding etc. Brill.
    Remote control works nice. Works with my TV straight out the box as well!
    Connections wise, there is two scart outputs (well I presume they are both outputs, there doesn't seem to be any provision for inputting some kind of video.
    Sound - there is the digital coax socket (no optical - there's another few quid I had to spend in Maplins for a small converter box!) and standard analogue phono outputs.
    There are two other sockets - an ethernet socket and a usb 'A' female socket. These dont seem to have any function. I tried connecting the ethernet to my modem but there didn't seem to be any result. (connecting to my PC(Mac) the ip address showed in my connection settings but I couldn't connect or do anything with it. I'd like to know if anyone has found the usb to useful for anything.
    I dont have a standalone DVD recorder so I made a test recording with the scart output to my Mac (via a digital camera in 'pass through mode') and burnt a DVD. This works ok (aside from the writing to PC hd which can take a lot of space and the encoding to dvd time), and is of course in real time and has gone through an analogue connection. It would be kind of handy to output the actual mpeg 2 files to archive or edit on a PC. I even (shh! dont tell NTL!) took out the hard drive and connected it to my Mac and a PC running windows. It showed up under connected devices but wouldn't appear as a readable volume.
    Bugs/Cons wise - some of the programmes I've recorded don't show the programme info. Like I've The 4400 from Saturday on Sky 2 which showed info and then The 4400 from Wed which doesn't show any info.
    Yes as others have said it's a bit annoying you cant record material from the buffer. My mates Philips HD recorder has a neat thing where you can look at the buffer as a timeline type thing, choose in/out points and then save to HD. Also it just keeps buffering whatever channel you choose. UPC model doesn't or resets even if you go to the guide.
    All in all I'm reasonably happy although never having used the Sky+ box it all depends on everyone's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Simon201 wrote:
    There are two other sockets - an ethernet socket and a usb 'A' female socket. These dont seem to have any function. I tried connecting the ethernet to my modem but there didn't seem to be any result. (connecting to my PC(Mac) the ip address showed in my connection settings but I couldn't connect or do anything with it. I'd like to know if anyone has found the usb to useful for anything.
    The box has a built-in cable modem. If you connect a PC to the Ethernet socket, you'll get an IP address allocated to it by DHCP (192.168.100.x) and if you point your browser at 192.168.100.1 you'll get into the cable modem's status page. Not much to see, since if you don't have BB set up through it then it won't have connected, but an interesting way to idle away a few minutes :) You can see information regarding the IP and MAC addresses of the cable modem and the box itself in page 2 of the Diagnostics menu (Main Menu | Settings | Diagnostics).

I've not tried the USB port, but I'd imagine it's also for the cable modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

If I turn mine upside down, I can cook eggs! This thing is a mini furnace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I got wangled to go back to NTL (I have UK Sky+) with the news of this new DVR. It suits me to have a DVR utilising an EPG for Irish channels.
    They wrote off my previous outstanding bill, 3 months @ 9.99 for Digital select + 3 months free Setanta package + free install

Setup was a breeze, took about 5 minutes.

Box looks okay, display at front showing channel and programme is quite nifty.

The software and epg is about 1 billion times better than the previous, utterly horrible NTL Pace box.
    EPG loads quickly, navigating is not the crossfingers and pray it doesn't freeze horror it was before.
    You can 'zoom' into the EPG increasing the fonts size as as ever the NTL EPG has very small font size.
    You can specify to browse through EPG by channel (which Sky doesn't allow) I like that.

Channel you are viewing is shown in top right corner, not that damn City Channel.

Downside is only one recording at a time and series link is a big miss for this box.
    You cannot specify a a point in your recording which you would like to start viewing unlike Sky+
    Recordings screen doewsn't indicate status of programme - viewed or not.
    Your recorded programmes cannot be sorted in anyway unlike Sky+ and there is no multi-copy function for copying to DVD.
    There's not much to set settings-wise, simple subtitles on or off systemwide, language, TV screen size, RGB/Standard, volume.
    DVR settings are basic, pad the beginning and/or end of programme or not.
    Manual recording is straightforward and you can specify the usual.

Browsing the EPG and general speediness of the system is hugely improved - I don't think I've ever come across a worse STB than the old NTL Pace one.

Remote is very good.

You can specify favourite channels as before to minimise browsing the epg while viewing.
    A small graphic to the left of the EPG shows you signal strength for the particular channel you're browsing.
    A loss is the ability to go beyond now and next whilst browing the epg watching TV.

Overall, a much better system than before, a decent enough DVR.

Big losers to Sky+ are the series link, dual recording, and limited now/next info and 7.50€ monthly charge for DVR functions (Sky+ just got rid of that charge...)

The box itself seems a little hot underneath where the vents are, I haven't heard a fan at all and don't know if it has one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

delah wrote:
    A small graphic to the left of the EPG shows you signal strength for the particular channel you're browsing.
    :confused::confused:
    Do you mean the little blue bar to the right of the now/next mini-guide? If so, that's an indicator of how far you are time wise through the program you're watching, not the signal strength. There's also an indicator there that the program has subtitles or not, and there's space for an icon that represents whether a program has dual-language sound (not that that ever happens here AFAIK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Alun wrote:
    :confused::confused:
    Do you mean the little blue bar to the right of the now/next mini-guide? If so, that's an indicator of how far you are time wise through the program you're watching, not the signal strength. There's also an indicator there that the program has subtitles or not, and there's space for an icon that represents whether a program has dual-language sound (not that that ever happens here AFAIK).

really? I just assumed to be honest, well that's erm, sorta cool;)

Ta for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Actually, Tax man or DingDong, do either of you guys know where we can log bugs / issues found? or could you guys' note it to someone?
    the one thing that really bugs me, and it's noted above, is when you go to change the channels, if you don't do it fast enought, it reverts back to 101!! WHY? (on a side note: I freaking HATE RTE1!! most stupid channel ever, i mean we back our TV license, but yet we are subjected to Ad's everywhere, and sub-par programmes they've bought in, and even worse Irish made shows!)
    If you enter one or 2 digits and decide "actually, na, i'll stay watching what's on now".., surely it should stay on the channel you were just watching? PLUS, it seems like it's set to about 2 or so seconds to accept a channel input, this needs to be increased, at least another second to second and a half of what it's currently set at!...

cheers guys... hope you can help!

I reckon you'll need to get in touch with Thompson to answer those sort of questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

rockal wrote:
    If I turn mine upside down, I can cook eggs! This thing is a mini furnace.

:eek: What sort of wattage are we talking about this thing consuming when it's powered on (or off)? I'm a bit eco-conscious and an ESB bill watcher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rebska

Have those of you missing Nick Jr managed to get it back? Half the reason I want this thing is to record Wonder Pets!

Already wasted a day waiting for installer - four phone calls between 11 and 5, all the time being assured the engineer would "definitely be there." At 6:25, I was told definitely not and offered an appointment six days later and that a team manager "should" call me back in a day or so to tell me if the installation charge would be waived. Still waiting on that call. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to wait for the HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Rebska wrote:

HD box.....wonder if that means 'Hardly Deliverable' in NTL language!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Rebska wrote:
    Have those of you missing Nick Jr managed to get it back? Half the reason I want this thing is to record Wonder Pets!

Already wasted a day waiting for installer - four phone calls between 11 and 5, all the time being assured the engineer would "definitely be there." At 6:25, I was told definitely not and offered an appointment six days later and that a team manager "should" call me back in a day or so to tell me if the installation charge would be waived. Still waiting on that call. :rolleyes:

Nick Jr is working fine now. Sorry to hear about them messing up your appointment. Don't know what they are playing at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DonegalKid

Hi,

I recieved the UPC box this weekend and after 24 hours it was finally activated.

One or 2 questions though and excuse me if these have already been asked - but I'm new to DVR tech and have no experience of the equivalent SKY box either.
    I was recording a film earlier and it seemed to work just fine - that is it was recording it and I can see it used some space. However when I try to replay the movie now, it's asking me to hit the green button and enter a pin, telling me the program is locked?!?! Is this some sort of copy protection ? Or am I just missing something completely obvious.

Thanks,
    D

The default pin on the box is 4 zeros. I think if you change the age on the parental control to 18 it should then stop asking for pin numbers.

If you haven't already been here alreadyLinky for DVR manual

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DonegalKid

Thank you for that. The installer who visited had only installed 1 unit previsously and failed to mention anything about Pin's!

Thanks again

No worries. The pdf is the only source of a manual atm. None are given out with the installation.(cause it's in dutch:rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Can someone, if they have the time post some pictures of the NTL PVR.....?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Nev

I just got my DVR on saturday and have to say i am fairly happy with it. Listings come up quickly, the city channel is gone at last and the remote is much more responsive. Box is big but no massive no bigger than the sky box of course the old ntl pace box was nice but to be honest, it was pace entry level box and a heap of junk.

Of course it is still ntl you have to deal with that is the problem since they were ment to install the box on wednesday and i sat at home from 9 am to 5 pm doing nothing, i rang every hour after 1(since he was meant to be here between 9 - 1). I was told hes on is way and that they sent him a message but sure enough he didnt come. Anyways it took him less then 5 minutes on saturday to come in hook it up and leave and it was working quite good i thought, unlike sky 2 wires dont have to go into the back.

I do have a problem though i can set up the remote to work with my amp ? has anyone tried ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

batman2000 wrote:
    Can someone, if they have the time post some pictures of the NTL PVR.....?

Look at post #48

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055114158&page=3

Nev wrote:
    I do have a problem though i can set up the remote to work with my amp ? has anyone tried ?

The manual only gives codes for TVs VCRs and DVD player/recorders. I'd say it'll only do those tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

ok, wow, i have been waiting for this for ages and wasn't sure when it was out!!

a couple of questions, the pace box i have in my sitting room runs off a different account(in another house) to all the other boxes in my house, like it has all the movie and sports channels and the rest have the basic package. would i be able to keep the card that is in the box that has all the movies and stick it in the dvr box or would i have to have the box set up in the other house with the full acount and then bring it to my house??

How big is the hard drive and what type is it, i.e. sata or ide??

And, can u transfer recorded shows from the dvr to your computer??

allen175 wrote:
    ok, wow, i have been waiting for this for ages and wasn't sure when it was out!!

a couple of questions, the pace box i have in my sitting room runs off a different account(in another house) to all the other boxes in my house, like it has all the movie and sports channels and the rest have the basic package. would i be able to keep the card that is in the box that has all the movies and stick it in the dvr box or would i have to have the box set up in the other house with the full acount and then bring it to my house??

How big is the hard drive and what type is it, i.e. sata or ide??

And, can u transfer recorded shows from the dvr to your computer??

No card and box are paired and will not work in any other stb. Just get the dvr installed in the house that's linked to the box you want upgraded. Try to explain that you want it put on a/c "a" but installed in house "b".....well you can guess the rest. They could just turn around and say no it's goes to the address matched on the boxes a/c. Nothing stopping you then bringing to another house

160gb

Output to other devices is via scart lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

well if i own the other house and pay the bill for it there is nothing stopping me from taking it!

thanks for the speedy reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Just got one of the DVRs and all looks well, however I can't seem to figure what could be a real annoyance. When changing channels from one with proper widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio to one with the old 4:3 ratio the TV changes from wide to a 4:3 square in the midde of the screen. Now I know this is probabley correct but our Phillips 32" CRT has a picture setting called "SUPERZOOM" which stretches the 4:3 picture a bit at either side, chops a tiny bit off the top and bottom and zooms a bit, works very well for 4:3 pictures to fill the widescreen screen.

Now with the old NTL digibox if the TV was set to SUPERSOOM it would stay there with all 4:3 channels switch to WIDESCREEN when the channel broadcast a wide picture.

The new DVR switches the TV between wide and 4:3 with every channel change. This is REALLY annoying and no amount of changing the picture format in the setting menu makes any difference.

Any suggestions welcome.

allen175 wrote:
    well if i own the other house and pay the bill for it there is nothing stopping me from taking it!

thanks for the speedy reply!!

Yeah there's nothing saying the box has to stay where it was installed. Just to save your head being wrecked(just read some of the normal installation horror stories) on other threads and you soon know what I mean. Just let them go to house A, hook it up and when it's up and running take it to house B. If anything goes wrong with it and you need a service call\box replacement just bring it back to house A.

Glad to help.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

quenching wrote:
    Just got one of the DVRs and all looks well, however I can't seem to figure what could be a real annoyance. When changing channels from one with proper widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio to one with the old 4:3 ratio the TV changes from wide to a 4:3 square in the midde of the screen. Now I know this is probabley correct but our Phillips 32" CRT has a picture setting called "SUPERZOOM" which stretches the 4:3 picture a bit at either side, chops a tiny bit off the top and bottom and zooms a bit, works very well for 4:3 pictures to fill the widescreen screen.

Now with the old NTL digibox if the TV was set to SUPERSOOM it would stay there with all 4:3 channels switch to WIDESCREEN when the channel broadcast a wide picture.

The new DVR switches the TV between wide and 4:3 with every channel change. This is REALLY annoying and no amount of changing the picture format in the setting menu makes any difference.

Any suggestions welcome.

there's been threads on here about this before and it seems to be a particular problem with Philips TVs - I had problems with the old Pace box and its still a bit tempramental with Sky+.

try changing channel to one of the analog channels and setting it to Superzoom (called Superwide on my telly) then change back to the AV channel that the NTL box is connected to. It seems that if the telly isn't receiving the Widescreen flag, it reverts to whatever ratio it was last manually set to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

there should be an option to turn off "scart control"... i'm not 100% would need to check when i got home, but that should also sort the problem...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement