Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOD on AB's Hmmmm...

Options
  • 14-08-2007 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Brian O'Driscoll has cranked up the pressure on New Zealand by suggesting the World Cup favourites have peaked too soon.

O'Driscoll, who will lead Ireland out against Scotland at Murrayfield on Saturday, knows his side face a potential quarter-final meeting with the All Blacks in France.

However, the talented Irish centre insists the world's No.1 side hold no fear for him - especially after spotting weaknesses to exploit during the Tri-Nations Series. He said: "I saw most of the game in which Australia beat New Zealand in Melbourne.

"The Aussies showed that day the longer you hang in the game, the more the All Blacks are there for the taking.

Form
    "It all comes down to taking your opportunities and Australia did that very well when they scored the match-winning try through Scott Staniforth.

"Perhaps New Zealand showed greater form last year than they have in this summer's Tri-Nations, but they could turn it back on come World Cup time."

First thing for O'Driscoll is the small matter of Saturday's warm-up game against the Scots. And having not played since aggravating a hamstring injury against Italy in March, O'Driscoll is raring to go.

He said: "It's been a long time since I've played any rugby. It'll be close to five months since I played a match.

Rusty
    "I'm thoroughly looking forward to it and the game can't come quick enough for me. "You always feel a bit rusty. You feel a bit rusty at the start of any season.

"I've been training with a rugby ball for close to a fortnight so it's obviously going to take a while to get back the same levels of hand-eye co-ordination.

"The fact I missed the end of last season means I've had a longer spell than most without that competitiveness. And it takes its time to come back."

BOD just warming it up a little....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Where's that taken from?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

And Ireland peaked last November

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

zabbo wrote:
    And Ireland peaked last November
    Ireland peaked?

Sorry, that was nasty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gutta

Hamo wrote:
    Brian O'Driscoll has cranked up the pressure on New Zealand by suggesting the World Cup favourites have peaked too soon.

What a feckin PILLOCK!

He'll be on the receiving end of their attentions at the bottom of the first ruck if they manage to get out of the pool and progress.

Is anybody else completely unimpressed by this guy's arrogance and plain stupidity, or is that just a prerequisite for the the modern game? The guy's an eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Eh ... What?

He's hardly said anything that other players haven't already said. He hasn't said the words "they've peaked too soon" it's a fairly boring interview. Most of it is about himself anyway!

He was probably frickin' asked by the interviewer if he thought they'd peaked too soon!

People are so bloody quick to put faith in these interviews and jump down people's throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ireland peaked?

Sorry, that was nasty...

and the AB's weren't at their peak when France got whipped twice at home as well ;)

Regarding the article, it's pretty run of the mill stuff which has been popping up in various places.

zabbo wrote:
    and the AB's weren't at their peak when France got whipped twice at home as well ;)
    You didn't know we let them win to get them thinking they were the best team in the world? :eek:

Everybody knows that! It's Laporte's big plan! :D

Oh and I forgot, back on topic: I also think BOD is a pillock and a media whore who adores himself. Furthermore, I think Darcy is twice the player he is.

BOD was good back in 2000 when nobody knew who he was. Then it all went up to his head unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Did it now?

Have you ever watched him play since 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Thought this was released last week...

carlowboy wrote:
    Have you ever watched him play since 2000?
    Yes, and that is why I said what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Oh and I forgot, back on topic: I also think BOD is a pillock and a media whore who adores himself. Furthermore, I think Darcy is twice the player he is.

BOD was good back in 2000 when nobody knew who he was. Then it all went up to his head unfortunately...
    And I think you don't know that much about Rugby. You sound like an angry teenager watching a soap opera not a genuine Rugby fan.

And I think you don't know that much about Rugby. You sound like an angry teenager watching a soap opera not a genuine Rugby fan.
    And your opinion has absolutely no affect on my life! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

And your opinion has absolutely no affect on my life! ;)
    And who's life does your opinion have an effect on?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

and the pair of you better get back on topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hey Ruggie, no coming in from the side! ;)

Even if you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

As captain of the Irish team BOD has to keep saying this kind of stuff. Lads wake up this isnt just arrogance for the sake of it!

People have to be convinced that the ABs are beatable. Otherwise no-one will beat them. Too many games are lost before they even kick off due to lack of belief / defeatism. You ask any player / coach the same questions and you'll get the same answers.

As for Stefanos comments about BOD since 2000, he obviously didnt see that Toulouse QF in the HC! Yeah that one. Or even seen a single recent Leinster game for that matter? Dont be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

We savages in Munster reckon he's a bit of a ponce and does love himself too much but in fairness there's nothing too inflamatory or untrue in his interview.
    Was a great player ,massive tackler and worker with many the flash of brilliance hopefully he can produce a spark or 2 again. Must agree with Steffano a little , his star is definitely on the wane tho. Would be dropped from the All Blacks team if they had him.

ok i'm off into hiding

buck65 wrote:
    We savages in Munster reckon he's a bit of a ponce and does love himself too much but in fairness there's nothing too inflamatory or untrue in his interview.
    Was a great player ,massive tackler and worker with many the flash of brilliance hopefully he can produce a spark or 2 again. Must agree with Steffano a little , his star is definitely on the wane tho. Would be dropped from the All Blacks team if they had him.

ok i'm off into hiding

all i'll say is who wouldn't be a bit of a ponce if you were that good at rugby and were considered one of the best players in the world.:D

• Advertisement

Good point Peter Clohessy went a bit that way too:D

buck65 wrote:
    Good point Peter Clohessy went a bit that way too:D
    true, didn't he open a cocktail bar...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The irony of a Munster man talking about someone loving themselves too much...

To be fair to BOD, he's learned a hell of a lot in the last 5 years about dealing with the media. They take every little quote and soundbyte, take it out of context, twist it, blow it up, shake it down, and suddenly you find yourself in the newspapers saying how you're great and everyone else is sh!t.

This isn't exactly in your face kinda stuff:

"Perhaps New Zealand showed greater form last year than they have in this summer's Tri-Nations, but they could turn it back on come World Cup time."

Oh god, they have me defending BOD...

I stand by what I said. I know the majority of Irish people love BOD and think he's the best player in the world and all that but I have my opinion and it will only change if he has a stormer of a World Cup and gets Ireland in the last 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Ireland peaked?

Agree with your scepticism Steffano - this Ireland team has improved a lot even since then and should be even better in the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

ALH-06 wrote:
    As captain of the Irish team BOD has to keep saying this kind of stuff. Lads wake up this isnt just arrogance for the sake of it!

People have to be convinced that the ABs are beatable. Otherwise no-one will beat them. Too many games are lost before they even kick off due to lack of belief / defeatism. You ask any player / coach the same questions and you'll get the same answers.

Couldn't agree more. He didn't say they had peaked just that they could be beaten. Too many teams go in against the ABs thinking they will lose and when they get close start packing themselves on the back (the fact that the ABs never do this is a good guide). I remember the English doing a lap of honour after loosing a game. Don't know if BOD is arrogant but if you don't think you can win don't turn up..

buck65 wrote:
    Would be dropped from the All Blacks team if they had him.

Thats a larf. The one place the AB could use a little help is in the centre. Who do the precious blacks have to oust him?

That whole "BOD would be on the AB Team" conversation is really starting to frustrate me...

Firstly, are the AB Gods or something? They're just another team from another country! Is it such an honor to think one of your players would be good enough to be on their team? Is Ireland in a different league or something? Be proud of the fact that he's on your national squad (the highest level there is) and that he can compete with the best the world has to offer! Don't be proud of the fact that some other country would select him in their squad!

You'd never hear a French man say "Jauzion is so good that he could be on the AB team". But you'll hear him say "Jauzion is the best centre in the world" alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

Steffano, the jealousy coming through in your comments is sickening. Accept the fact that he is the best player this country has going into this years world cup and when people say he'd walk into the All Blacks should be interpreted as he'd walk onto any team in the world. And Jauzion would not get into the All Blacks team, nor the Irish team for that matter.

• Advertisement

Do any of you guys think big Mal should have been left behind for this world cup and give the likes of T Hogan a bit of experience? I think Mal's best days are well gone and his good days are now few and far between - nothing against the guy but way too many miles on the clock.

Advertisement