Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus unions 48hr Strike next Tueday/Wednesday

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I'm flying outon the first leg of my honeymoon next Tuesday morning, wih British Airways via London to Miami. The DUB-LHR leg of it is operated by Aer Lingus. :-( I have a further seperate flight later in the day with American Airlines.

British Airways have not been informed of any Aer Lingus strike next Tuesday. If I miss the later flight from Miami, it'll cost me ablody fortune to get replacement tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Red Alert wrote:
    Aer Lingus is a private company
    mickoneill wrote:
    Agreed. Aer Lingus is a private company now
    It may not be a state company but it could hardly be described as a "private company" if it has shareholders or could it?. :confused:

(I'm open to correction - apologies for being pedantic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can be a private company if a number of ways! Publicly listed, private share ownership, family ownership, trust ownership and prolly a few others

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

O'Leary offered to operate some critical EI routes during the strike next week using Ryanair pilots and aircraft. He made the offer on The Last Word saying that they have a few spare aircraft mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Patrickof wrote:
    O'Leary offered to operate some critical EI routes during the strike next week using Ryanair pilots and aircraft. He made the offer on The Last Word saying that they have a few spare aircraft mid week.

O'Leary for President!

He's having a good week, must be chuckling into his breakfast roll at the sorry state of AL and the government.

Is there any state,semi-state or former semi-state sector where the unions have not been threatening all-out jihad in the last few years?

Teachers? tick
    Nurses? tick
    ESB? tick
    Irish Rail? tick
    Aer Lingus? tick
    Gardai? tick
    Hospital consultants? tick
    Eircom? tick

etc, etc - you get the picture. All the time while these union dinosaurs fail to realise that the world has changed utterly since 1975, our competitiveness goes down the tubes, the customers get screwed and this useless government does nothing.

bah, rant over :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

While not defending the AL unions in any way for their disgraceful behaviour, I would make the point that this is the same Ryanair who increased frequency and cut fares on Shannon-Gatwick to push Easyjet off the route and then reduced the frequency to one flight a day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

O'Leary for President!

He's having a good week, must be chuckling into his breakfast roll at the sorry state of AL and the government.

Is there any state,semi-state or former semi-state sector where the unions have not been threatening all-out jihad in the last few years?

Teachers? tick
    Nurses? tick
    ESB? tick
    Irish Rail? tick
    Aer Lingus? tick
    Gardai? tick
    Hospital consultants? tick
    Eircom? tick

etc, etc - you get the picture. All the time while these union dinosaurs fail to realise that the world has changed utterly since 1975, our competitiveness goes down the tubes, the customers get screwed and this useless government does nothing.

bah, rant over :mad:

In fairness the unions will attempt it if they think they can get something out of it, they seem to have the vast majority of the public on their side as well (not me). I too have worked for MNCs, my last job went to India, what did I do, I moved cities and got another job. I hate all these groups that go about striking left right and center. I used to have a lot of respect for the nurses until their last strike, as far as I'm concerned now they can fu*k off. :(

I'd love to know what O'Learys real angle is in all of this, i'd say he is struggling to contain the laughter ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

In fairness the unions will attempt it if they think they can get something out of it,

I'd say all they're getting at the moment is bad PR. They're not going to get anything good. Aer Lingus moved to Belfast because they can make more money there. By going on strike (and making less money) the unions aren't doing Irish customers or pilots any favours.
    they seem to have the vast majority of the public on their side as well (not me).

Not me either. I wouldn't agree that the vast majority of the public is on their side.
    I too have worked for MNCs, my last job went to India, what did I do, I moved cities and got another job.

Me too. And you can be sure that the MNCs coming from America and elsewhere don't pay us the same rate as our peers in America.
    I'd love to know what O'Learys real angle is in all of this, i'd say he is struggling to contain the laughter ;)

His job is to get Ryanair in the news and get more publicity. He's good at it and he's right to do it. As long as you don't think he's doing it for the good of Irish customers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

His job is to get Ryanair in the news and get more publicity. He's good at it and he's right to do it. As long as you don't think he's doing it for the good of Irish customers. :D

Really looking forward to see how this whole thing pans out. I mightn't agree/like everything that O'Leary has said/done over the previous years, but I really admire his attitude and focus. I like it when he winds the government up too, good to keep them on their toes :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

At least with Mick it's all out in the open. He's in it for the money for himself and ryanair - and his antics (which Mannion branded as monty-python-esque) this morning are all a means to that end.

Now look at the Aer Lingus/Aer Rianta/Government triangle - Aer Lingus and Aer Rianta don't piss each other off. The government doesn't want to make a decision or have an opinion which as a shareholder it actually should be interested enough to make.

Advertisement