Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dempsey or Murphy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Murphy well booked his spot today but if I were EOS I might chance playing him on the wing.

Is it just me or has Murphy gotten fatter/bigger since the 6 Nations? Could be a combination of the new toight jersey and his beard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The hint of gingerness to his beard has given him some serious confidence his high ball takes today were just amazing was like watching a GAA match the way he played. To be honest that match will just go down as a match for murphy since honestly he was the only one to get into it from the start. He proved his point today as a great fullback lets see what EOS has in mind for him in the RWC he could slip into the XV somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

With out doubt the best irish player by far against Scotland, well disserved selection on the RWC squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well he booked his place today. Perhaps he was reading this forum during the week:)
    Murphy was always going to the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Geordan Murphy
    Yeah I could never see Eddie leaving him behind. He played excellent though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Geordan Murphy
    Murphy dodgy under a high ball eh? :D Now that he has reminded everyone of his undoubted talents as a footballer, he needs to kick on and perform to the same level in every game, the way D'Arcy and O'Driscoll do for example. Could have a big role to play in the world cup if Horgan doesn't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

Geordan Murphy
    Murphy made one great take and the percentage of people favouring Dempsey over Murphy has fallen from 80% to a little under 70%. I will admit that Murphy played well today, but he did nothing that Dempsey wouldn't have done. There was never any doubt that Murphy would be travelling to France!

BTW for all you Murphy fans, who only see his "flashes of brilliance" please remember it was Scotland that Ireland played on Saturday, where did they finish in the 6 nations this year????? and lets not forget some of Murphy's "wonderful" passes that didn't go to hand, in particular one to Carney that would have been a definite try in the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Lads, 4 years ago Murphy was pretty much recognised as one of the best attacking fullbacks in the game. Granted that was 4 years ago. Murphy offers a lot more in attack than Dempsey and is as solid as Dempsey in defense.

Dempsey will start for Ireland during the world cup and rightly so, he had an excellent season last season, but I feel that if Murphy can get a decent run in our group games he will become the incumbant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Dempsey for sure, Having Geordy as backup isn't a bad option, and he deffo has the creative skills to make an impact, he's really pulled it back formwise since the 6nations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Geordan Murphy
    Linford wrote:
    Murphy made one great take and the percentage of people favouring Dempsey over Murphy has fallen from 80% to a little under 70%. I will admit that Murphy played well today, but he did nothing that Dempsey wouldn't have done. There was never any doubt that Murphy would be travelling to France!

BTW for all you Murphy fans, who only see his "flashes of brilliance" please remember it was Scotland that Ireland played on Saturday, where did they finish in the 6 nations this year????? and lets not forget some of Murphy's "wonderful" passes that didn't go to hand, in particular one to Carney that would have been a definite try in the first half.

Oh a missed pass surprised that EOS didn't haul him off straight away. Can you not be a least a little pleased that one of the most talented footballers in the Irish squad is showing good form a few weeks before the start of the world cup.

I don't think that many people would say that he deserves to be starting ahead of Girv on the basis of one game, but a fully fit and in form GM is a fantastic weapon to have coming off the bench during the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 marco_syco

Everyone seems to be a tad simplistic in the comparisons between Murphy and Dempsey, its not as cut and dry as solid player versus mercurial genius. Anyone who watched leinster and the 6 nations this year knows that dempsey is scoring hatfuls of tries, hes playin the best rugby of his life and is always in the right place at the right time as well as being rock solid defensively. However, murphy does have a cool head under pressure, hes come up with the goods on numerous occasions in big games in europe for leinster and for ireland. He has the odd howler but he can also turn the game on its head in a second
    I think with the current first choice ireland backline dempsey has to start because simply theres enough creative genius in there already, and enough different ways to attack, we need safety to go with the high risk strategy, however if shaggy is out murphy has to play on the wing ahead of trimble because we'll be more in need of his genius missing out on shaggys many skills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Geordan Murphy
    Fair Play to Turnstyles he played very well in the Scottish game his first decent full international in quite a while. Here are some examples of his bad play in recent years but if he keeps playing like last weekend will be happy to bring him on.
    How many intercepts has he thrown away in the last 2 years he threw one about 2 mins after he that missed that tackle -he actually missed 2 tackles in that sequence that led to their first try. Against France 2 years ago he threw an intercept, fell over when the ball came near him waving the french through and also made an attempted tackle on Rougerie that made Ryan lamb look like the Chiropractor In the AI's he twiced butchered a 2 on 1 5ms from the tryline when he threw the ball either over the wingers head or behind him when a simple pass would have led to a try. Glaws only scored 1 try in the GP final who gave them the pass again?

As for Girv - who made the first break against England in Croke park inside Wilko or broke from just outside his 22 against the BOKs last November? When have you seen him miss a simple one on one tackle when he has been last man?

Girv first by a long shot but if Murphy shows he can make a tackle then he can play against the minnows ;) Seriously play like last Sat against decent opposition and he will be push Girv again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Geordan Murphy
    Luckycharm wrote:
    When have you seen him miss a simple one on one tackle when he has been last man?

Not that I'm disagreeing with your entire post, but yeah I can. Also during the French game in Croker. Harinordoquy just walked past him. The reason it wasn't exposed (so much) was because the tackle was much further out and the cover was close enough. But he still missed the tackle one v one as the last man.

And from the resulting play, France had a 4 on 1, and who saved Ireland from a try by intercepting the pass? Murphy.

Personally, I'd pick Dempsey at FB and now that Horgan is injured - give Murphy a shot at playing on the wing, like at Leicster. I'd rate him higher than Trimble or Carney currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You'd think the way this debate is going that Dempsey can't even run forward. Does nobody watch him at Leinster or Ireland? A great finisher.

Imo, Murphy has a lot of work to do before he gets ahead of Trimble in the pecking order.

Geordan Murphy
    GreenHell wrote:
    Snipped....

Murphy offers a lot more in attack than Dempsey and is as solid as Dempsey in defense.

QUOTE]

LOL at the bit in bold

Geordan Murphy
    marco_polo wrote:
    Oh a missed pass surprised that EOS didn't haul him off straight away. Can you not be a least a little pleased that one of the most talented footballers in the Irish squad is showing good form a few weeks before the start of the world cup.

I don't think that many people would say that he deserves to be starting ahead of Girv on the basis of one game, but a fully fit and in form GM is a fantastic weapon to have coming off the bench during the RWC.

I am pleased that our probable sub fullback and possible starter on the wing, in the absence of Horgan, is playing well. My point was that the Murphy fans can only see his flashes of brilliance and I was pointing out the bits where he was not so brilliant. The "missed pass" has been a common feature of Murphy's in both International and club rugby, just lucky it wasn't intercepted...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Geordan Murphy
    Sangre wrote:
    Murphy was always going to the world cup

I never really doubted that to be honest. I meant with that performance he silenced any people who might have questioned his inclusion. As Hook said not bringing Murphy to the World Cup would be like throwing Van Gough out the window and using a plasterer... I hope Murphy does get to play but just not at full-back. Dempsey, while not infalliable in defence, is clearly the more comforting option if a French player has a one-on-one situation with our full-back at a critical stage during their World Cup match

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

GreenHell wrote:
    Lads, 4 years ago Murphy was pretty much recognised as one of the best attacking fullbacks in the game. Granted that was 4 years ago. Murphy offers a lot more in attack than Dempsey and is as solid as Dempsey in defense.

Dempsey will start for Ireland during the world cup and rightly so, he had an excellent season last season, but I feel that if Murphy can get a decent run in our group games he will become the incumbant again.

^^
    What he said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Geordan Murphy
    pred racer wrote:
    ^^
    What he said!

I really should report you for trolling :rolleyes:

Advertisement