Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland team to play Scotland

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Hermy wrote:
    Considering what Italy did to Scotland in their previous encounter, if we really are to be taken seriously as World Cup contenders, surely nothing short of convincing victory against the Scots is acceptable.

Aside from the three freakish early intercept tries there was nothing between Italy and Scotland that day.
    Hermy wrote:
    I understand that the Irish selection is not 'normal' but why are the Scots such a threat to us?

Because the Scottish team it is a much better balanced side than the one we faced in the 6 Nations. The backrow looks exceptionally strong, they have picked a much better half back combination and have one or two dangerous backs to boot. Sure it is not a world class XV but they will be no mugs. I would say that to come away with any sort of a win would be a good days work for what is essentially a B team.

Also it's not like we humped them with our first choice XI in the 6 Nations is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I reckon that Eddies only playing Bowe to give him his last chance saloon. If Duffy plays halfway decent at all he'll prob be going. Add to that the fact that we have Horgan, Trimble and Hickey on the wings with Girve unmoveable and Murphy definitely ahead of Bowe. If Duffy has a mare and Bowe plays well though Eddie might think of bringing Bowe as backup winger and using Trimble primarily as backup centre.

Good to see Jerry Flannery back in. Hope he plays a stormer and gets himself in there ahead of Best he's a much better player IMO. Also is he ever going to give Glesson a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Considering we just about beat them during the 6 Nations with a full strength squad and now playing them with a completely mixed up squad kinda scares me. I dont think EOS should be trying this whole mix and match approach now he had time to that during the summer what we need now is the full squad out and get a good victory over the Scots to give the team a good confident win heading into the RWC. Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

In two minds about all of this really. I'm not in favour of playing the first team at all, cos if we lose ROG and/or BOD our world cup is effectively over. However, neither do I want the squad to suffer a morale-sapping defeat to Scotland; and seeing as we hockeyed them by er, one point in the 6n we'll be doing well to repeat that with this mess of a team. The Scots are nowhere near as bad as people think, and Lamont will love having a run at Duffy and Bowe.

I'm also keen to see Flannery play well, he's great to watch, but he's nowhere near as good in the scrum as Best, and that's why he's not in the first XV

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

TBH I think that a defeat would not have too big an impact on morale.

Whatever way he decides is best to prepare the team for the RWC, and I have full confidence that EOS will make the right calls. He has a fine line to tread in the next four games between keeping the boys match fit and wrapping key players up in cotton wool.

I will be holding my breath each time BOD goes into contact this weekend, but what can you do, he hasn't played since March and needs all the game time he can get between now and the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hippo wrote:
    I'm also keen to see Flannery play well, he's great to watch, but he's nowhere near as good in the scrum as Best, and that's why he's not in the first XV

I wonder how this rumour got started?

A front row of McGovern, Flannery and Buckley destroyed Ulster's first choice front row of Young, Best and Best in Ravenhill in March.

Flannery hasn't started for Ireland because he never got fully fit due to injuries all last season, he was even rested for Munster when he was available despite Sheahan's poor form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Does anyone know if this match is being shown on terrestrial TV at all? Apologies if this was already mentioned, I only skimmed the thread...

NotWormBoy wrote:
    Does anyone know if this match is being shown on terrestrial TV at all? Apologies if this was already mentioned, I only skimmed the thread...

Definately on BBC One, I think it is on on RTE also but I have not been able to confirm this so far.

**EDIT ** Just read Daveirl's Rugby on TV thread and it is defo on RTE too ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Downtime wrote:
    Yeah - mistake there from irish Rugby - he is a Blackrock player and was UCD player.

Interesting to see that Shane Byrne will be back with Blackrock next season.
    im afraid your are incorrect there and irishrigby.ie is right, O Driscoll had renewed his acquaintences with UCD again this year and had left blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Hippo wrote:
    I wonder how this rumour got started?

Don't know about a rumour but I heard Paul Wallace say the same thing on The Last Word on Today FM some months back. And he's from Munster so don't wave THAT flag ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Anyone who listens to Paul Wallace will quickly conclude he'll say whatever comes into his head, regardless of his accuracy. He seems like a decent sort, but I don't particularly rate him as a pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I've also wondered about the emphasis put on R Best's scrummaging. I'm not saying he isn't a better scrummager, but I don't see the evidence that he significantly improves the Irish scrum.

The Irish scrum with Best in it has pretty much been the same as the Irish scrum over the past couple of years i.e. holds up fine against Scotland, Wales etc, and then comes under pressure against Italy/France/stronger scrummaging nations. The most pleasing scrummaging performance recently was against England, when we dominated every facet of play, and they had a weak TH.

The scrum against Australia last Autumn was very disappointing.

The Irish scrums performance in Argentina was heartening, but bear in mind that the Argie TH and hooker weren't of the highest calibre. S Best (and even T Buckley's cameos) takes most of the praise rather than B Young or Flannery, as there is no question Ayerza is a tough opponent.

There's no doubt R Best is a fine hooker, but for me its Flannery every time. Whatever we might lose in the scrum I believe is outweighed by his contribution in the loose and his throwing technique (which I think is the best of the NH hookers). I also would play N Best at 6, as I think his aggression and counter-rucking gives us an element we lack without him. Again Easterby is a very good player, but I think N Best gives this Irish side more.

Oh and tarfhead, Paul Wallace made his Leinster loyalty clear around the time of the HC semi-final :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Bugler, I agree about Flannery. I would certainly rate him ahead of Best. The irish scrum will win Ireland any matches anyway. Steady clean ball is all that's required.

Flannery's worth in the loose and open play should be more important than Best's scrumming.

Also, N Best should be an impact player. Come on in the last 20 min to smash and ruck tired oppo legs off the park. I have yet to see him keep up that intensity that he has for 80 min. Not sure he can but as a super sub, yes.

Advertisement