Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland team to play Scotland

Options
  • 07-08-2007 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

A bit of a mix and match as we expected

15 - Geordan Murphy Leicester (48)
    14 - Brian Carney Clonakilty/Munster (2)
    13 - Brian O’Driscoll Captain UCD/Leinster (74)
    12 - Gavin Duffy Galwegians/Connacht (6)
    11 - Tommy Bowe Belfast Harlequins/Ulster (9)
    10 - Paddy Wallace Ballymena/Ulster (4)
    9 - Isaac Boss Ballymena/Ulster (8)

1 - Bryan Young Ballymena/Ulster (7)
    2 - Jerry Flannery Shannon/Munster (15)
    3 - Simon Best Belfast Harlequins/Ulster (18)
    4 - Malcolm O’Kelly St.Mary’s College/Leinster (85)
    5 - Paul O’Connell Young Munster/Munster (43)
    6 - Neil Best Belfast Harlequins/Ulster (12)
    7 - Stephen Ferris Dungannon/Ulster (3)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip Clontarf/Leinster (2)
    Replacements:
    16 - Rory Best Belfast Harlequins/Ulster (12)
    17 - John Hayes Bruff/Munster (73)
    18 - Alan Quinlan Shannon/Munster (24)
    19 - Keith Gleeson St.Mary’s College/Leinster (26)
    20 - Eoin Reddan Wasps (2)
    21 - Ronan O’Gara Cork Constitution/Munster (71)
    22 - Shane Horgan Lansdowne/Leinster (55)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It's stronger than I expected - I thought EOS would leave most of the main guys out. I'm glad that the need for gametime for the likes of POC and BOD is being followed though.

Quinlan being used as lock cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

15 Rory Lamont (Sale Sharks)
    14 Sean Lamont (Northampton Saints)
    13 Rob Dewey (Ulster Rugby)
    12 Andrew Henderson (Glasgow Warriors)
    11 Simon Webster (Edinburgh Rugby)

10 Chris Paterson (Gloucester)
    9 Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby)

1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh Rugby)
    2 Ross Ford (Glasgow Warriors)
    3 Euan Murray (Northampton Saints)
    4 Nathan Hines (Perpignan)
    5 Jim Hamilton (Leicester Tigers)
    6 Jason White (Sale Sharks) CAPTAIN
    8 Simon Taylor (Stade Francais)
    7 Allister Hogg (Edinburgh Rugby)

Substitutes

16 Fergus Thomson (Glasgow Warriors)
    17 Craig Smith (Edinburgh Rugby)
    18 Scott MacLeod (Llanelli Scarlets)
    19 Kelly Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
    20 Chris Cusiter (Perpignan)
    21 Dan Parks (Glasgow Warriors)
    22 Hugo Southwell (Edinburgh Rugby)
    Good line up for Scotland. I still think Ireland should nick this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

bugler wrote:
    It's stronger than I expected - I thought EOS would leave most of the main guys out.

He has...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Well for 'most' read 'all'. I didn't expect the likes of Flannery, N Best, POC and BOD to figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

bugler wrote:
    Quinlan being used as lock cover too.
    I bet I'm not the only one who read that differently the first time? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Somehow i dont think we are going to win by much with that line up....Happy though that Murphy's starting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Whats with O'Driscoll being shown as a UCD/Leinster player, I always thought he was a blackrock man, not that it matters at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

He could be playing BOD,so as to get an expert opinion on Duffy as a 1st centre or else just for BOD to give him some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

shoutman wrote:
    Whats with O'Driscoll being shown as a UCD/Leinster player, I always thought he was a blackrock man, not that it matters at all.

Yeah - mistake there from irish Rugby - he is a Blackrock player and was UCD player.

Interesting to see that Shane Byrne will be back with Blackrock next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Is this game on tv at the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yes, it's on RTE2

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Stev_o wrote:
    Somehow i dont think we are going to win by much with that line up....Happy though that Murphy's starting

As long as he is not playing against France! He always does something retarded to give a try away when we play them.

Was watching the reaching for glory dvd at the weekend. His lack of a tackle on Ibanez for the 6 Nations game earlier this year was appalling. Fantastic player, but prone to serious blunders.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wish EOS would try Trimble out in the centre. I think he should be the one who slots in for an injured BOD/Darcy, rather than taking Horgan and Darcy out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I have a minor gripe. Why is it that whenever someone posts an Irish team they post the clubs the players used to play for? What is the point? I hardly think Brian O'Driscoll is going to play for UCD again or that ROG will play at 10 for Cork Con, it's pointless and gets on my nerves.

Back on topic, I'll be very interested to see how the new front and back row combinations work out.

Other than a good showing in the scrum against Argentina I don't see Simon Best as anything other than a sub in the RWC so it will be interesting to see if his performance earns him a spot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sangre wrote:
    Wish EOS would try Trimble out in the centre. I think he should be the one who slots in for an injured BOD/Darcy, rather than taking Horgan and Darcy out of position.

Think that he may have played if it were not for the fact that BOD badly needs all the match practice he can get between now and RWC time.

Should be a tight game the Scots lineup definately looks stronger on paper than the 6 Nations lineup. Will probably be a score in it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

theKramer wrote:
    As long as he is not playing against France! He always does something retarded to give a try away when we play them.

Was watching the reaching for glory dvd at the weekend. His lack of a tackle on Ibanez for the 6 Nations game earlier this year was appalling. Fantastic player, but prone to serious blunders.......

He is a great player and i hate when every remembers that tackle yes it was bad but no one remembers the great turn over he manged 15 minutes later when the french WERE going to get a try so in my books the try he let in would makes no difference because Girve wouldnt have made the turnover when murphy did

I hope they don't bring ROG on as a sub, the Scots will be just itching to give him a kicking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Read in the paper saturday (times I think) that G Murphy is in the last chance saloon and needs a good game at least to cement his squad place!

Good to see Carney get another chance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Glad Carney is in , looking good for his inclusion in squad -- does anyone else think Bowe is pedestrian , and shouldn't be near the squad -- i know if i was a Scottish winger who i'd prefer to mark -- O'gara should be wrapped up in cotton wool till we play Argentina , not even used as sub

One positive about this selection is that we'll get to see if Paddy Wallace is up to being the replacement 10. Seeing as it's not his primary position and that his kicking game is patchy at best it will be interesting.

He can't be any worse than Staunton....or can he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Stev_o wrote:
    He is a great player and i hate when every remembers that tackle yes it was bad but no one remembers the great turn over he manged 15 minutes later when the french WERE going to get a try so in my books the try he let in would makes no difference because Girve wouldnt have made the turnover when murphy did

You're right, Girv would have made the tackle that Murphy missed in the lead-up to it.

Must be Murphy's last chance saloon. He hasn't played well for us since before the last World Cup.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Reddan not starting again? EOS is playing a dodgy game here, reckon Reddan shades Boss at the mo. interesting backrow. Fairly dynamic, hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I'd say Redden should start the next warm-up....if there is one of course!

thebaz wrote:
    Glad Carney is in , looking good for his inclusion in squad -- does anyone else think Bowe is pedestrian , and shouldn't be near the squad -- i know if i was a Scottish winger who i'd prefer to mark -- O'gara should be wrapped up in cotton wool till we play Argentina , not even used as sub

Agreed, Bowe is a mystifying choice, slow and anything but penetrative, EOS must love him. I think we'll do well to be within a score of Scotland, it's a messy looking backline. Hope I'm wrong, I want the team on a good run going into the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I hope Carney and Gavin Duffy have stormers and play themselves onto WC bench, and that Boss has a mare and that Redden comes on, and also has a stormer, as I think he could be a great first 9, let alone a better sub than boss..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

carlowboy wrote:
    I'd say Redden should start the next warm-up....if there is one of course!

The next one is against Italy at Ravenhil, I heard that that is going to be a runout for the first XV though, so it is unlikely that Reddan will feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I bet I'm not the only one who read that differently the first time? :)
    LOL hefty_langer! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hippo wrote:
    I think we'll do well to be within a score of Scotland

Considering what Italy did to Scotland in their previous encounter, if we really are to be taken seriously as World Cup contenders, surely nothing short of convincing victory against the Scots is acceptable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but that's not in any way a 'normal' team, and against any kind of organised international unit they might find it difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I understand that the Irish selection is not 'normal' but why are the Scots such a threat to us?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement