Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing ideas on roads / signage etc.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Victor - The Limerick councils use that cyclist/pedestrian sign here too. They also have used the mandatory "cycle lane" (i.e. cyclists only) sign not just for the start of a cycle lane (or end with a plate underneath), but to warn motorists of cyclists merging into traffic. That should be a yellow diamond warning sign with the bicycle instead (presumably with an arrow plate below denoting the direction cyclists are merging from?)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

Victor wrote:
    The sign is the wrong way around.
    The signs on Stillorgan Park are the same and contradict the markings on the ground (bikes to the right). Regardless of whether they are legal or not, it's just plain stupid having conflicting signs/markings. My suspicion was that someone ordered the wrong signs and they used them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

spacetweek wrote:
    To be clear, I don't think it'll "do" at all - I'm also annoyed by obscured signs, missing signs, and misleading signs.

The part that was an over reaction was saying our signage is third-world. It's messy, but only average at worst. For example, Spain's is much more messy than ours, due to frequent overhauls where they don't remove all the old signs, and the increasing tendancy towards regional government and its associated pointless road renumbering.

Also, albeit unevenly, I think I can see signs of progress (no pun). I went to Waterford county recently and never got lost once, even on back roads. Whether N or R, I found signage to be easy to follow and pretty clear - and I wasn't using a map. Surely this small part of the country can't be an exception?

Eh? You mean apart from all the gantries we have on the N7, M50, N2 Ashbourne etc.? Yes these are not perfect, but the NRA seems to be slowly replacing them with better versions (e.g. here.)

I think you'll find that in the the rich regions of Spain, such as Catalonia, signage is simply stupendous. Even the tiniest village is signposted with amazing clarity, road surfaces are impeccable and junctions are a breeze to navigate.

What I will do in the next while is take pictures of the signs on Barcelona's ring roads and I'll challenge you to tell me that Ireland shouldn't have these signs on its 2 lane duallers, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

I agree with a lot of people that mentioned the US/ Canadian system of putting the street names on display at every junction (where possible) - I'm a bad driver at the best of times but I'm in LA at the moment and it's a pleasure getting around...

I suppose it's not really practical with our little twisty turning streets... such a shame that we can't redesign half of all Irish towns

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bazzy wrote:
    In the uk recently i noticed they have "HUMP" instead of ramp much better IMHO
    From flikr. It had the flikrati giggling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement