Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing ideas on roads / signage etc.

Options
  • 06-08-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Most Irish people are very widely-travelled by now especially with our access to budget airlines etc. At the risk of having this thread try to embrace TOO many aspects of transport, I was wondering what aspects of transport om other countries do you feel we would beefit from here ?

I'm talking about roads/street, urban or rural, public transport in general , street furniture, signage in general, other things that struck you as being god or at least better than what we have etc. ?

Especially in terms of urbanisation, Ireland is playing catch up compared to many other European countries especially, and let's face it, we don't always make the best decisions etc. so just wondering what areas of "best practice" that others have noticed in other places that we would do well to import here ?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jrar wrote:
    Most Irish people are very widely-travelled by now especially with our access to budget airlines etc. At the risk of having this thread try to embrace TOO many aspects of transport, I was wondering what aspects of transport om other countries do you feel we would beefit from here ?

I'm talking about roads/street, urban or rural, public transport in general , street furniture, signage in general, other things that struck you as being god or at least better than what we have etc. ?

Especially in terms of urbanisation, Ireland is playing catch up compared to many other European countries especially, and let's face it, we don't always make the best decisions etc. so just wondering what areas of "best practice" that others have noticed in other places that we would do well to import here ?

First things first. Engineers/contractors/planner and any one involved in roads planning, design and construction needs to understand what they are doing and everything that is done is checked as detailed as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

jrar wrote:
    ...so just wondering what areas of "best practice" that others have noticed in other places that we would do well to import here ?

Two words: grade separation. Not just on road junctions, but also where metro/tram lines cross major roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Start with the basics first. Get name plates up on all named roads so we know where we are and then put up proper direction signs so we can figure where we are going. I don't know how visitors manage around here. You have a lovely new road with good signs then next junciton and it's pot luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I know all our cities are old, but I must say, I like the way the Canadian and US cities all have a lampost at each junction, right at the junction with the street name on it. It's so much handier.

Just thinking this today, in Toronto, the TTC puts bus stops AT traffic lights, so when everyone's onboard and the light goes green we're all away together. Many's the time in Ireland, the light goes green and the bus stops across the junction at a bus stop, messing things up for everyone. Also in Toronto, in 1989 every bus stop had a phone number on it and you could call it and it would tell you when the bus would be passing. Imagine that happening here, oh the silliness of that thought!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

In Australia if you're parking along the side of the road, you have to face the direction the traffic is going.
    I've been stuck behind many cars here as they see a spot across the road that they can get into (as long as they wait 5 mins for the traffic on the other side to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Ensure that traffic lights can be seen by all traffic using the road. Fit low level lights aimed towards car drivers as in France and Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ich_verschwinde

tampopo wrote:
    Yeah, I know all our cities are old, but I must say, I like the way the Canadian and US cities all have a lampost at each junction, right at the junction with the street name on it. It's so much handier.

I firstly agree that this would be a great addition to streets here, (the street name signs here are not very visable) and I have also noticed that in the US cities, for a one way street, there is a sign directly below the street name sign with an arrow pointing in the permitted direction of that street. Here in Ireland, if there's a no entry sign, you don't enter, and if there isn't well then might be allowed through.;)

also, on motorways/DC's, i think the large overhead signs (approaching an exit) are kind of lacking here.. they have them on the M50(below), and the N25 in Cork but i havent really seen them elsewhere.. but they make a clear indication of the next exit etc. Why not make them standard on every DC??

1140006807.47483675.phphFKPPr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

they make a clear indication of the next exit etc.
    It's a shame the Irish version is so confusing. To many drivers, the pictured sign suggests that someone heading for the N4 needs to be in the right lane. The signs on the N7 between Belgard and Naas are particularly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

good thread.

Few small things.

I'm a motorbike user i know a small miniorty but ive travelled accross Europe and have seen some impressive roads and infrastructure. So when traversing accross Scandanavia you have to travel on a lot of bridges which can be up high, but the difference with bridges over there is that they have wind breakers. Wind breakers are exactly what it says on the tin.On a bike you are most vulnerable to winds so wind breaker on a bridge or on any open space saves u from been suddenly thrown accross the road into oncoming traffic.Handy.

Another one which ive seen slowly coming in here is that extra grip on road surfaces at the junction to roundabouts and is also at traffic lights. Again as a biker we need all he grip on the road that we can get. I think it should be on all bends here on irelan. it shows drivers that a bend is ahead and on bad weather it assists in braking

When i was in scotland i used to see signage on the side of roads that said something like 2 this road is privately maintained by murphy ltd. If u see some defect with this road please contact 086-44----.

I know that might be a bit far fetched for Ireland but i think we should strive for it anyway.

I have a few more but cant think of them.

Roads in ireland are improving but i think too slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

steve-o wrote:
    It's a shame the Irish version is so confusing. To many drivers, the pictured sign suggests that someone heading for the N4 needs to be in the right lane. The signs on the N7 between Belgard and Naas are particularly bad.
    The NRA has realised the error of their ways and are currently replacing the misleading gantry signs with proper ones that don't deceive!

Before:
    normal_gantry3.JPG

After:
    normal_DSC00106.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Such a simple thing too.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

As I suspected, a lot of dissatisfaction with the Irish "model" !! Keep them coming and I'll try to collate the particular pet hates etc.

My own suggestions for improvements would include :

A simple uniform sign indicating a village or town, meaning start of built-up 50 kph limit, and rid the countryside of the plethora of signs on approaches to villages on N-roads especially !
    A simple uniform sign at the other end of the village/town preferably with a line through it indicating that the restricted speed limit area has ended etc. While we're at it, is there any way that town and village boundaries could be meaningful i.e. Mounthrath southbound on the N7 has the town sign almost 2 miles out from the actual town area !

All roadside signs (and traffic lights) to be a sensible height with unrestricted views, preferably on non-round poles to prevent weather conditions (or human hands) from re-directing them !

If approach signs for most roundabouts carry a distance advance warning plate underneath, why can't we do likewise for Yield and Stop signs especially on smaller country roads ? How many times have you rounded a bend in this country only to find yourself almost on top of a T-junction with no prior warning ?

As much as possible, at crossroads and major T-juncs, the use of traffic islands (low-level French-style ones with reflective trim are superb) and separator lanes

The payment of a reward to whoever can track down the culprits for why every traffic island that DOES exist has a sea of gravel and litter around it. Whilst we're waiting to catch the perpetrators, is there any chance that our army of council workers across the country could perhaps tidy up ?

Understanding that it is perfectly acceptable to show distances which are not exact km amounts e.g 4.6 kms is a valid distance if that's how far it is to somewhere from where the signpost is mounted !

All direction/warning signs made of proper grade reflective material

On the section of N7 recently between Newlands X and Naas in a thunderstorm - road just wasn't draining off and spray was everywhere. Same experience on other stretches of motorway in the recent past - now that we have the makings of a m-way network, is it time to introduce a lower wet weather speed limit so that we limit the possibility of pile-ups etc. ?

The issuance of glasses to all workers in the roads section of our co. cos. - it may not be a pre-requisite to be blind to work there but judging by the number of badly-placed and obscured signs on our roads, it certainly would appear to give you a headstart on the other candidates !!

Needless to say, I have loads more but I just wanted to get some idea of the depth of frustration out there at our inability to implement or execute some of the simpler things which would make life easier for all road (and rail) users

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

murphaph wrote:
    The NRA has realised the error of their ways and are currently replacing the misleading gantry signs with proper ones that don't deceive!

Hallelujah. That really bugged me. Hope they refit the Naas Road too, might help move traffic out of the middle lane.

Regarding other potential imports, I would like to see a bit more discipline when it comes to marking the centre line. Road markings in Spain for one seem much more engineered. If it is not safe to overtake (taking curvature, sightlines, speed limits etc. into account) then why don't we spend the few euro extra for a solid white line? Here I have also seen examples of "No Overtaking" signs both sides of the roads with a dashed line in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

murphaph wrote:

Before:
    normal_gantry3.JPG

After:
    normal_DSC00106.JPG

Isn't there a DoE "manual" on the design of these overhead fantry signs and why don't the NRA implement it?

The only problem with the revised signage is that the route number and the junction number isn't as clear as the old signage,

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

This is the normal way for an upcoming off slip to be signed in the UK (borrowed from Highway Code online) :

Hallelujah. Here I have also seen examples of "No Overtaking" signs both sides of the roads with a dashed line in the middle.

Ah yes, the old Irish contradictory road markings situation.

Laziness or incompetence ? - take your pick

This is actually the same as our standard apart from different font/bilingual. We copied ours straight from theirs but I've never seen it implemented 100% correctly. In actual fact, I think there's a lot to be said for the N31 exit sign pictured above, but if it's a better design then it should be in our signs manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Well, there are certainly far more solid lines these days than there used to be - lots more country roads with markings down the middle at all at all for one thing!

However, a complete survey and analysis of some kind would be very good, combined with setting proper speed limits related to the road condition. But that would cost a fortune - I'd rather see decent water and sewage treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Ah yes but how many people are killed by bad water in Ireland"?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

One thing I saw in Mainz in Germany that was good was that all bus stops had an integrated bin on them. It was part of the design of the stops.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the best things are usually the simple little things !

Mind you, there was a time in Dublin when every bus-stop seemed to have a bin attached but then the move towards free-standing bins became the norm and you don't see it much anymore.

These bins were actually integrated into the design of the bus stop structure. There were two poles in the ground which widened out to accomodate the bin.

They weren't too big so I suppose they'd need regular emptying which DCC most likely wouldn't do. I walked past two massive public bins along the Dodder in Ballsbridge this morning, both of them overflowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Something simple, when traffic lights are about to change to green, do what they do in the UK (and probably everywhere else too), have the lights switch from red to red & amber, then green... Gives people a chance to get ready to take off...

Is it me or are people ridiculously slow taking off from traffic lights, especially where the lights are only green for a very short while...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

Is it me or are people ridiculously slow taking off from traffic lights, especially where the lights are only green for a very short while...

eg : leaving Dublin Airport at the Airport rounabout? I'd guarantee no more than 8 vehicles can legally get through these lights in each of the 3 lanes.

I think that the amber light "wakes" motorists up as it is the brightest light of the 3 colours used-and that has nothing to do with how powerful the bulb is...
    But then not many places has traffic light sequences as complicated as some in the Republic of Ireland. At "short" green lights ones concentration does tend to slip away.

As I understand it, Ireland follows an American model with traffic instruction and the UK follows the European. In the States the lights go directly to green, most of Europe it is red amber then green. Other instances of this are the yellow diamond warning signs where the rest of Europe has the white triangles with red edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

What about being able to turn left at a red light if the way is clear? Thats something else that could be handy to start over here

cooperguy wrote:
    What about being able to turn left at a red light if the way is clear? Thats something else that could be handy to start over here
    Yeah, the states allows "right on red" at most junctions. Germany has adopted a system that was prevalent across the DDR before unification. It's called the Gruenpfeil or 'green arrow' and is dead simple: At junctions where it's safe to do so, a small green arrow is tacked onto the side of the red light and indicates right turning is allowed.

gruenpfeil.gif

The above pic also shows a clever addition in the event of the lights failing-a yield sign. A trip up north also reveals simple things like 'part time signals' which only switch on when traffic is heavy enough to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I think the recent method here of doing that is better, a flashing amber arrow for left-turn (incidentally these usually also have a yield sign). That also allows orange and red as well if left-turns have to be stopped just for the pedestrian sequence.

Admittedly it means that motorists turning left are *always* given a
    "proceed with caution" type signal, even when there's no traffic on the cross-road approaching from right, but sure that's no harm - there might well be pedestrians crossing on red man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Red & amber wouldn't work here - or, at least, there'd be a rather nasty period of adaptation when drivers would have to learn to actually stop on red not red+x seconds. Problem is that the ones offending often aren't the ones who get hurt.

Wet weather speed limit - the danger of knocking the speed limit down by say 20km/h, French style, on main roads in the wet is that it implies that the reduced speed limit is safe, it may not be. Better to properly educate/train drivers and have strict enforcement of tailgating and improper use of lights.

Last year I drove from Sydney to Cairns and every 2+1 / 2+2 stretch had very prominent signs:

KEEP LEFT
    UNLESS OVERTAKING

Can I order about 50,000 of those for over here please?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    Yeah, the states allows "right on red" at most junctions. Germany has adopted a system that was prevalent across the DDR before unification. It's called the Gruenpfeil or 'green arrow' and is dead simple: At junctions where it's safe to do so, a small green arrow is tacked onto the side of the red light and indicates right turning is allowed.

gruenpfeil.gif

The above pic also shows a clever addition in the event of the lights failing-a yield sign. A trip up north also reveals simple things like 'part time signals' which only switch on when traffic is heavy enough to warrant it.

I was in Germany when that was being introduced, around 2000 IIRC. There were loads of posters up on billboards about the introduction of it.

I know people in Ireland who watch the lights in the other direction so they can go when it turns red, instead of waiting untill their light goes green. I have also seen many people blatantly running lights after they turn red.

It's a wonder they don't meet each other.

Advertisement