Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon-Heathrow discussion [merged]

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Full article from the Zaminer...they honestly expect people to swallow this crap???

Dublin Airport Authority failed to tell Shannon of Aer Lingus plan

By Harry McGee, Political Editor
    DUBLIN Airport Authority did not inform Shannon Airport Authority that Aer Lingus was seriously considering transferring all its Heathrow slots to Belfast even though it became fully aware of the situation in June.

In a development that is likely to add to tensions between the Dublin Authority (DAA) and its Shannon subsidiary (SAA); a spokesman for DAA told the Irish Examiner this weekend that the DAA first learnt of the proposed move on June 13.

The spokesman confirmed that while the DAA knew that there was a strong likelihood that Aer Lingus would cease its Shannon to Heathrow service, it did not pass on that information to the SAA at that time.
    However, he defended the decision not to pass on the information to the SAA on the grounds that the information was imparted to the DAA on the basis of the strictest confidentiality.

On June 13, a senior official from the Department of Transport contacted the DAA, which has responsibility for Shannon Airport, seeking information about passenger load, or the number of passengers using the Shannon to Heathrow route.

The transport official was told that the Shannon to Heathrow service was performing reasonably well, and that its passenger load had increased because of the withdrawal of two competing services offered by Easyjet and Ryanair.

This official included this in a “Note for the Minister’s Information” drafted later on the same day. That was the memo outlining the probable and imminent loss of Shannon’s Heathrow slots that the assistant secretary of the department John Murphy did not forward to the new minister, Noel Dempsey, after he took up his position on June 14.

The DAA spokesman acknowledged the official from Transport explained the context of the call to the official from the airport authority, and it was made clear Aer Lingus was contemplating a Belfast base that would result in the transfer of all Shannon Airport’s Heathrow slots.

It was also made clear to the DAA official that a final decision had not been taken and that a new Belfast hub was one of a range of options open to it. DAA would not disclose the identity of its official, how senior he or she was, or who else within DAA senior management was informed.

It came on a weekend when 4,000 people rallied in Limerick to protest at the end of the Heathrow link. In addition, European Minister Dick Roche last night raised the prospect of a civil servant resigning over the failure to inform Mr Dempsey.

Speaking on RTÉ’s The Week In Politics, Mr Roche said: “The minister was very mild on the department. If I was in his position I would have been incandescent with rage.”

Like Mr Dempsey, authorities in Shannon did not learn about the fate of the Heathrow service until six weeks later, the day the announcement was made by Aer Lingus on August 6.

No SAA official was available for comment yesterday but it is likely the authority will bring the matter up with the DAA and discuss it at its next board meeting.

If it had been made aware at an earlier date, it may have been in a better position to negotiate with other airlines.

There have been tensions in the past between the DAA and Shannon and Cork airports. The DAA has responsibility for all three airports but both airports have their own authorities since late 2004. However, full autonomy has yet to be transferred.

While the DAA will argue it was not in a position to inform its of such a serious development, the fact that it knew for six weeks will lead to claims that it does not have the best interests of Shannon at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its not getting any better...

Aer Lingus raised concerns over transatlantic flights

SENIOR management at Aer Lingus raised concerns about the future of its transatlantic flights from Shannon in communications with the Department of Transport, it has emerged.

The airline’s deputy chief executive Niall Walsh warned the introduction of new security measures for transatlantic flights could risk their viability.

A document obtained by the Irish Examiner quotes from an email sent from John Murphy, assistant secretary in charge of aviation at the Department of Transport, to the department’s secretary general Julie O’Neill on July 27.

In it Mr Murphy refers to information received from the airline. He said: “N Walsh (Niall Walsh, deputy chief executive of Aer Lingus) commented that the capacity of Shannon Airport to ensure no increase in charges is crucial. Shannon have advised that introduction of full US customs and border facilities at Shannon will involve an increase of charges 10-15 per passenger.

“US carriers will benefit from reductions in charges on the US side but at JFK, Aer Lingus will not, unless they relocate to a domestic terminal and as they are committed to T4 in JFK to 2015, this would cost them €10 million. We will follow this up with the Dublin Airport Authority.”

Mr Murphy did preface his comments to Ms O’Neill by saying he had indicated “our” concern about impact of loss of the Shannon-Heathrow service, from an aviation and regional policy perspective and that the department would raise that with Dermot Mannion.

“I also set out the importance of managing the transition of Shannon Airport to enable it to operate competitively in an open skies regime, the efforts made by DAA/SAA to date and the State aids constraints on providing financial support to the airport. I emphasised the importance of the commitment of Aer Lingus to Shannon.”

Last night, Aer Lingus said it would not be commenting on the contents of the email except to reaffirm its commitment to the transatlantic flights from Shannon for the immediate future.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Transport said: “The department are currently in talks on new pre-clearance checks at the airport and what the implications would be. At this stage we are only in negotiations and there are no indications as to what the charges would be.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I can see from the above article- their "concern" over raised charges due to new facilities will be a good excuse for them to take a hike out of Shannon completely!

Latest story:
    Management at Shannon Airport is to hold an emergency meeting tomorrow to discuss the news that the Dublin Airport Authority knew in advance of the Aer Lingus decision to end Shannon-Heathrow services.

Reports this morning say the DAA was informed of the plan in June by an official at the Department of Transport.

However, it never told the Shannon Airport Authority because the information was provided in the strictest confidence.

The DAA still controls Shannon Airport, but the SAA manages the facility.

The Atlantic Connectivity Alliance, which was set up to oppose the Aer Lingus plan, says it is furious at the latest move as the information could have helped Shannon Airport to secure alternative services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm severely pissed off over this whole mess now...3 groups have to go.

1. Dermot Mannion (Who "Made an executive decision" in his own words) is worthy of a group on his own. I was against this and for it, but now I've decided the share price just doens't f**king matter anymore. I was shouting it at the time...AL should NEVER have been privatised!!

2. That twit at the dept of Transport who didn't see fit to pass on the F*ing note.

and

3. Every single member of the board of Shannon Airport Autohrity. If they gave a **** at all they'd have services available for people boarding and disembarking from flights...breakfast for example which doens't become available until 10pm at the earliest is an absolute f**king joke.

I'm also pissed off with the government, but the war at parliamentary party level is enough to satisfy me on that one!!

Pissed Off
    Ninty:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Do you really believe the message wasn't passed up?

The ACA application for slots has been rejected, what was to be expected
    The Atlantic Connectivity Alliance today received confirmation that its application for slots at Heathrow has been rejected by Airport Co-Ordination Limited, the authority responsible for slot allocation at all major UK airports.

Astraeus Airlines submitted the application two weeks ago on behalf of the action group.

Expressing disappointment with the latest development, Mayor of Clare and Alliance member Cllr Patricia McCarthy said: “The application for slots was an option the Alliance felt had to be pursued, as part of its ongoing efforts to retain services between Shannon International Airport and London Heathrow.

“Regrettably, we accept that the door has been firmly closed on this application and we would like to express our gratitude to Astraeus Airlines for its support.

“However, the Alliance will continue to emphasise the importance of maintaining quality and permanent connectivity between the west of Ireland and Heathrow.

Advertisement
    “The Atlantic Connectivity Alliance still requires explanation from Government as to why these slots were not protected as put forward in the prospectus for the privatisation of Aer Lingus.”

The Mayor stated that, in her opinion, Aer Lingus' financial argument for moving its Heathrow slots from Shannon to its new base in Belfast did not stand up.

"Aer Lingus anticipates carrying 500,000 passengers on its Belfast routes within the first 12 months of operation,” she said.

“Yet, it is abandoning Shannon Airport where it carried 320,000 passengers each year on its Heathrow route alone.

“The Alliance will continue to impress upon the Irish Government, as shareholders in the airline, to raise questions over the commercial viability of Aer Lingus' proposed move.”

John Brassil, chairman of the Atlantic Connectivity Alliance added: “The Irish Government must now work towards ensuring quality connectivity to an international hub ahead of January 14 next, when the Aer Lingus service from Shannon to Heathrow is scheduled to cease.

“The Alliance will continue to support ongoing efforts by the Shannon Airport Authority to promote incentives aimed at attracting new airlines into Shannon from strategic European hubs.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Is there a possibility that anyone in Limerick will vote Fianna Fail in the next Local or General election, If I was Taoiseach I would do something to reduce the negative impact from the midwest, maybe remove the ammount of TD seats in the area?

But then that would have to be decided by and Independent commission :rolleyes:

Can I request my Income tax does go to Berties pay increase?

Ba3tard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Right now, i think we're fcuked! it's been how many days? and what has changed? Fcuk all! Get this government out!

Fina Fail? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Man this is the hardest Limerick has been hit in years

Also confused on Fina Fail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

1huge1 wrote: »
    Man this is the hardest Limerick has been hit in years

Also confused on Fina Fail?

Post edited, The emphasis was supposed to be on the Fail (without a Fada)but in my ignorance I misspelled Fianna and with it the sarcasm was lost, ah well. :o

Right now, i think we're fcuked! it's been how many days? and what has changed? Fcuk all! Get this government out!

Fina Fail? :confused:

My guess is it'll be between 1500-1550 days before a general election is called.

If you have a problem with independent commissions, then I suggest you should write a letter to the Taoiseach recommending that he should pick his salary hiself on a whim or that all constituencies should be 3 seater in 2012 to ensure Fianna Fáil get a mojority...how's that for sarcasm.

Get used to the government, the majority voted not to remove Fianna Fáil as the main government party....the government DOES NOT set constituency boundaries, or it's own payroll....these things are the job of independent bodies to decide. And while you may say they didn't have to accept it...(I'm assuming here) it was a take it or leave it recommendation.

So people like the DPP with an ever increeasing workload and judges (who are needed) would quite easily pick up jobs in the private sector at a higher rate. See Tom Parlon for a practical example of this.

So before you go criticising "Bertie giving himself a pay rise" (Which he didn't...I don't agree with the scale of it though...who NEEDS that much money) think about the 7 University Presidents who DID gvie themselves a pay rise from approx €220k to approx €400k last year...where were all of you then.

Anyhow...on topic...The Shannon issue is a total farce at this stage and I don't know what to think of the whole disaster. Looks like Paris to Oz

Why did you get rid of your ogra fianna fail sig ninty9er? Getting hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

1huge1

what has that to do with the discusion. please stay on topic

1huge1 wrote: »
    Why did you get rid of your ogra fianna fail sig ninty9er? Getting hassle?

It has nothing to do with the discussion, but I will answer.

The remote server and forum which it was sourced have been removed temporarily for upgrde and the image is no longer available.

Happy;)

Edit: No I haven't been getting any hassle. Thanks for your concern huge

Sorry didnt mean any offence by it, back on topic (sorry about that squid)

I've been hearing a lot lately (on the limerick blogger for instance) that demphsy is doing this learner licence to draw attention away from shannon, while I find it a bit hard to believe, timing wise it sould make sense because he had no reason to come out with it all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you have been hearing it from the comment then as I have never said it on limerick blogger. actually not really posting there as I am in ligo at the moment . but then there you go.

There is a pres release from clare co co PR company stating that some company is auctioning off heathrow slots

will see if i can dig it out later

Ya its coming from comments, I didnt mean it was in your article.

Also interesting is your latest story on the blogger aobut a slot for sale, but something like the government is 'allowed' to buy it

Seems like the issue is now dying down.

Some slots of the sale of GB Airways to Easyjet have become available in LHR. All have been sold now though I think. Continental got 2 slot pairs, along with Singapore airlines and one or two others.

Cityjet to make decision as to wheter they will operate a route in next short while.

Advertisement