Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30km/h Speed Limit for Dublin City Centre

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

mackerski wrote:
    You didn't pay enough attention to step 1 of my approach (1 post up from yours). Though having said that, doing nothing is IMHO prefereable to doing things at random.

Traffic already is rerouted. The M50. The Port Tunnel. The new bridges on the river. How much more rerouting do you think is possible? At a certain point you have to start providing alternatives to the motor car and that's what this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Traffic already is rerouted. The M50. The Port Tunnel. The new bridges on the river. How much more rerouting do you think is possible? At a certain point you have to start providing alternatives to the motor car and that's what this is all about.

I rarely drive into town, and when I do I'd be happy to stay off these streets. In the real world, that isn't always practical, and the city isn't ready for all that traffic to go a different way.

There can be no transformation from these measures. For much of the day, traffic is already slower than 30km/h. We know what 5 lanes of parked cars look like, so we already know that you can't transform these streets just by erecting a roundy sign to make it official.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, it could make it easier to cycle and walk, no? And that would help drive the modal shift.

As regards re-routing traffic, what other rerouting do you think can happen? Perhaps you are an eastern bypass advocate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well, it could make it easier to cycle and walk, no? And that would help drive the modal shift.

As regards re-routing traffic, what other rerouting do you think can happen? Perhaps you are an eastern bypass advocate.

Whats stopping people walking and cycling isn't that they can't cross the quays or cycle up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

Well, it could make it easier to cycle and walk, no?

To use your own word, "no". Once again, we know this. Westmoreland street frequently has all lanes packed with cars doing under 30km/h. Pedestrian or bike-friendly it is not.
    As regards re-routing traffic, what other rerouting do you think can happen?

I don't know - but getting rid of some cars is still a prerequisite for being able to achieve any benefit from a further calming of the main arteries. You can either do this by rerouting (if you can find a route) or by imposing restrictions or discouragements to motor traffic. The latter is something that will need to happen, but it must be preceded by improvements in the overall public transport network (boosting the infrastructure for a few pockets of the suburbs won't cut it, it needs to be further-reaching than that).
    Perhaps you are an eastern bypass advocate.

Not especially. Perhaps it has a place, but with the current no-cars desired state of the port tunnel, it's hard to see an eastern bypass making that much difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I thought that the 30kmh limit was some sort of joke but today at Clare Hall shopping centre on the Malahide Road on the north side of Dublin all the signs have changed to 30kmh. My colleague was driving and we then tried to drive at that speed, it is or seems very slow. I take it that the Garda will be doing speed checks there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's weird. Are you sure they weren't startking roadworks there or something? That area wouldn't even be under the thumb of Dublin City Council, it would be Fingal County Council. And they're usually reasonable enough with their limits, they've a good few 60kphs and 80kphs around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Matamoros wrote:
    I thought that the 30kmh limit was some sort of joke....t is or seems very slow....

Well, its almost 19 mph. Of course you don't have to drive at the limit if its too fast for you. You could legally drive slower in that zone. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I just wanted to warn anyone going down there. The signs that have been put up are a mix of small sized official Kph signs and others which are larger with a 3 pasted over the previous number, it looks kosher to me. I drive a car for work but commute on a 1200cc bike so 30kmh is virtually stopped for me.

Advertisement