Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncer trouble

Options
  • 31-07-2007 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I was out on saturday night in the centre, and i had a bit of trouble with a bouncer...

basically i was in a very busy pub and needed some fresh air so i went outside with a friend. on the way out the bouncer asked me to leave my drink inside, so i left it inside the porch beside another drink and the bouncer and went outside. Out of the corner of my eye i then saw the bouncer holding my drink with his fingers in the glass! now i should have gone over to him at the time, but i didnt as i got distracted by friends arriving.

I was just about to walk through the door back to the pub, when i decided to ask the bouncer had he moved my drink "or seen anyone" take it. He then told me "you are not coming back in here"!!! to which i was very surprised! so i asked him why? The reply i got was "I asked you to leave your drink inside and you didn't" Again i was surprised and pointed out that i had left it in the porch beside another drink. Either way at this point he was becoming stubborn and refused to let me back in.

Now the way i see it, i left my drink in the porch in front of his eyes, and if that wasn't considered an appropiate place to leave my drink, he should have said it at the time to me, rather than refusing me re-entry, and i also think there wouldnt have been a problem if i hadn't asked about my drink, i was practically in the door when i asked.

I was quite upset by the situation as all my friends were inside and i have also never been treated like that or thrown out of anywhere, and this bouncer had treated me like a criminal or a piece of dirt on his shoe and not for doing anything wrong, but for doing exactly what he asked of me:confused:

I wasnt even allowed go back inside then. My boyfriend then came out and tried to reason with him. The bouncer then said I could go back in if i apologised, i asked my boyfriend "apologise for what?" and apparently i had been rude to him on the way out... lies lies lies.
    On the way out he asked me to leave my drink inside, i did, without saying a word to him and went outside! I am not a rude person, and would not dare to say anything to someone who hadn't done anything to deserve it.

Now i do understand bouncers have a very tough job, but surely this guy was unfair and rude himself? what do ye think? this is a pub i like very much but i have really been put off now after that experience. anyway just thought i would get it out of my system:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Get his number, report him, go on air with your local radio station, and complain to management. Behaviour like that shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Unless you report him or arrange an appointment with the management of the establishment you will get no satisfaction here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bouncer in "Unreasonabe Attitude Towards Drinker" shocker:eek:

did you not know, that when you enter a Pub/Club/wine bar/disco/Bistro or whatever swanky name they come up with next to charge you €10 for alcoholic orange squash, you are obliged to leave your civil liberties outside:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some bouncers are dicks. Not much you can do except avoid that place again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Name the place..its not libelous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As Ned has said, you need to ring up or call in and see management to report this guy's actions. It won't resolve itself unless you do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cailinor

Aw i am definitely complaining! If it's okay to name the place, i will! <snip>
    god i feel a lot better now i got it off my chest:p my rage is slowly disappearing, maybe i should report it before i lose it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

You've done the right thing coming on the internet about it. forget about ringing the management of the establishment as that would be silly. Instead come on to boards where you'll get several joke replies, some questionable legal advice and generally stupid replies.

And I predict at some point someone will raise the point that you probably haven't told the full story. Oh and someone will moan that this should be in the Dublin forum. I love AH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Bouncer in "Unreasonabe Attitude Towards Drinker" shocker:eek:

LOL... What I thought when I saw the OP.

Have to say tho I've been out in London alot and whilst some of the bouncers are serious I have yet to encounter your typical Dublinesque bouncer. In fact even the serious ones are polite and I've yet to find one with a chip on his shoulder.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

ned78 wrote:
    go on air with your local radio station

I can understand complaining to management but going on radio is just retarded tbh. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

OP you haven't told the full story and this should be in the Dublin forum. (Yay I got to do it for once!)

To be honest I wouldn't go near the place again just because of the questionable hygene practices.

Hygene rule one: Put your finger in each drink.
    Hygene rule two: Over charge! The price will cover up rule 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cailinor

sorry about this being in the wrong forum, i really only started using this boards lark yesterday, and still getting the hang of it:) very addictive!

no you're totally right though about <snip>, it's definitely not a place where procedures are strictly adhered to;P but i kinda like the way it's so laid back, just drink from bottles in future!

and whats this about not telling the full story?

Cailinor wrote:
    sorry about this being in the wrong forum, i really only started using this boards lark yesterday, and still getting the hang of it:) very addictive!

no you're totally right though about <snip>, it's definitely not a place where procedures are strictly adhered to;P but i kinda like the way it's so laid back, just drink from bottles in future!

and whats this about not telling the full story?

TBH,there's more than one poxy pub in town(Dublin town..thats where i live).Some places have staff with bad attitudes and others have knobhead bouncers,to say nothing of teh price of drinks.These kips need to get it through their heads that the customer pays the wages of the staff.Write to the owner and complain,you'll feel a lot better if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

muletide wrote:
    Unless you report him or arrange an appointment with the management of the establishment you will get no satisfaction here

Go to a radio station because a bouncer refused re-entry into a pub, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like a monkey on a power trip.

Tbh, Irish people need to wizen up with regards to what they're prepared to tolerate. It's not like there's a shortage of pubs in Ireland, if they treat you like **** in one, take your business to somewhere where they treat you right.

Generally speaking, most bars aren't too bad these days anyway. The last place I had trouble in was Flannery's. It was pissing rain that night and the bouncers did that stupid artificial queuing thing anyway (you know when it's not that busy inside but they make people wait so the place can look like the happening place to be). Got to the front of the queue eventually only to be told "ID? Actually you're too drunk, get out" (I'm a 2-3 pints a night person). It's been a long time since I faced that level of ignorance. Rang the people I knew who had gone in before me and we all went and took our money elsewhere.
    Degsy wrote:
    TBH,there's more than one poxy pub in town(Dublin town..thats where i live).

Edit: Ah, pretty much beat me to it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

skywalker wrote:
    Go to a radio station because a bouncer refused re-entry into a pub, are you serious?

It would certainly get the lines buzzing hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cailinor wrote:
    My boyfriend then came out and tried to reason with him.
    LOL. Reason with a Bouncer?? :D

Can't be done!

The fact of the matter is some Bouncers are dicks. If they've made their minds up there's no point in arguing with them. And if you complain it's useless as the management won't do anything about as they'll just take sides with the Bouncer and rightly so to a certain degree. The Bouncer will just say that you were an abusive drunk and there'd be no way for you to prove otherwise.

The only thing you can do in these situation is vote with your feet and never go there again.

I was in a bar in town a couple of weeks ago (don't really like the place anyway) for a friend's wife's birthday. Another mate and his wife arrived a bit later on and was refused entry for wearing trainers :rolleyes: despite two of us that were already in there were wearing trainers too.

It was obvious that the bouncer had taken a dislike to my friend for some reason and no amount of "reasoning" was going to change his mind even though the other Bouncer on the door seemed quite embarrassed by his colleague's behaviour.
    The most annoying thing was that the bar was bleedin empty!! So anyway we just left and certainly won't be going back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I started a similar thread some time ago about how I was treated in a pub in Belfast by bouncers. Just reading your thread rekindled the evil, bloodthirsty, vengeful rage I felt.

I HATE THE CNUTS :mad:

Not all bouncers are bad but a lot of them have this ridiculous superiority complex which they use to destroy peoples' nights out. They will get their comeuppance someday.

In my particular case, I was pretty regular in this bar so I spoke to the manager who knew my face and we often chatted. He was angry at the bouncers behaviour and said it was bang out of order. He then pulled me a pint on the house and brought over the head bouncer and said "this guy's had a hard time from one of the bouncers - make sure it doesn't happen again". That felt good.

Damn them to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Another bouncer on a power trip, wanting punters to grovel to him, so he can prove to himself how much power he holds.
    Ireland desperately needs some control/licensing of security staff.
    I saw a guy been knocked out one night for having a drink on the dance floor.
    He was carried off in a stretcher motionless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

HarryD wrote:
    Ireland desperately needs some control/licensing of security staff.

Em, it does, but the PSA, the guys who look after it, have been left grossly understaffed and over worked.

I have sat my course, passed, recieved my I.D, which as of April all door staff should be wearing and will be waiting roughly a year to receive my licence proper due to issues with workload.

If you want to help out the e-mail your local T.D to let them know about the matter. If enough people do it the relevant people and departments will receive more funding and we can sort the scene out quicker.

Once again i will just have to sit here and say that not all bouncers are like that, but needless to say the guy in the OP's story sounds like a right cnut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

OP you haven't told the full story and this should be in the Dublin forum. (Yay I got to do it for once!).
    I also do readings and Tarot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Dragan wrote:
    I have sat my course, passed, recieved my I.D, which as of April all door staff should be wearing and will be waiting roughly a year to receive my licence proper due to issues with workload.

Do the bouncers have to wear it so that its visible or do they just have to carry it in their pocket?

cooperguy wrote:
    Do the bouncers have to wear it so that its visible or do they just have to carry it in their pocket?

As far as i am aware, right now we just need to have it on us. But when asked we need to be able to display it.

It contains an ID number, which can then be checked with the relevant group ( ISTA ) if you would like to make a complaint. Obviously it does not have our name on it as that would lead to lots of problems with known scum who you really don't want knowing your name! It will also have a picture of the doorman, to ensure that badge and that staff member match.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dragan wrote:
    I have sat my course
    When the Bouncers are doing their exams do they use regular pens or crayons?

BaZmO* wrote:
    When the Bouncers are doing their exams do they use regular pens or crayons?

Some use crayons, we also allow them to use circles of paper and safety scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Complain to the manager... Dunno if it'll do you any good, though. I believe they usually side with the bouncer. If he doesn't listen to you then find another pub, sister!

Some managers do listen. I remember a few weeks back, a new bar was getting off its feet in Cork and invited people along through a forum that I was on. The day after it opened, someone complained on the forum that the bouncer wouldn't let them in because they were wearing an earring and there was uproar. The guy in questioned received an apology and an assurance that the bouncer in question wouldn't be working on the door again.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Sigh, more security slating.

I got into a taxi the other day, and do you know what?? He wouldn't stfu! He honest to God wouldn't let me sit in silence to process the day's thoughts. What an a$shole!! I tried to get my girlfriend to talk to him in order to get him be quiet, but there was no winning!

In the end we paid him and went on, and yes we will be getting a taxi again soon. Probably the same one.

connundrum wrote:
    In the end we paid him and went on, and yes we will be getting a taxi again soon. Probably the same one.

I'm impressed. No honestly. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Stark wrote:
    I'm impressed. No honestly. Sorry if it sounded sarcastic.

As am I.

Advertisement