Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About the name Etaoin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

It could be étain Girls name (Et-tane )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ta%C3%ADn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

no etaoin is a girls name knew one a few years back. its pronounced eh-tayne afaik

+1.... My sister has a friend whose name is pronounced like that. Dunno bout the spelling, but I woulda thought they're the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Its actually pronounced "Rebecca".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

nioate00 wrote: »
    My name is Etaoin and it's pronounced "Aydeen". You might wonder how in god's name you can get "Aydeen" from Etaoin but Irish is a totally different language to English so therefore the same rules do not apply, including pronounciation.

In old Irish "Et" was pronounced "Ead" or "aid". "Aoin",even in modern Irish is pronounced "een", for example "Ceadaoin" (which means Wednesday) is pronounced "Cay-deen".

In saying that, not everyone pronounces it like that, some pronounce it "ay-tawn" or "ee-tain". Technically though the correct pronounciation is "Aydeen".

If you want to read more on it you could follow this wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ta%C3%ADn

Oh and btw: it's a female name!

No, "technically" Etaoin is pronounced like "et een" to an English speaker [sic].

You are right that it is supposed to be pronounced "Aydeen", but its spelt wrong (not your fault how it appears on your birth cert but my brothers name is spelt wrong too but at least he tells people the correct spelling).

One way to get the correct pronunciation is to spell it Étaoin, or Étaín.
    On the bright side at least you dont have the over anglicised Aideen.

ps anyone ever notice that "dear dree" is a common enough English name (Deirdre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

One cool thing about Etaoin is that the letters in it are the most common letters in English in order

Frequencies of the letters in the English language
    E 12.51%
    T 9.25
    A 8.04
    O 7.60
    I 7.26
    N 7.09

I wonder if she plays a lot of hangman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Agonist wrote: »
    One cool thing about Etaoin is that the letters in it are the most common letters in English in order

Frequencies of the letters in the English language
    E 12.51%
    T 9.25
    A 8.04
    O 7.60
    I 7.26
    N 7.09

I wonder if she plays a lot of hangman?

Shag you, Agonist! I was just about to post this very thing. :mad:

Codewords, FTW. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

I see you've got your answer so I can't really input. Other than to ask you why you couldn't just have asked your friend with that name? It wouldn't be rude or anything :p

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

InFront wrote: »
    I know someone with that name, was told to say it like "Hetchin". I'm pretty sure it's the same spelling.

On a related note, you know the weirdest name in the irish language? Tadhg.

It doesnt even resemble the sound, it's like spelling the word vase "kttz" :D . No offence anyone with that name:)

Have seen this name before mis pronounced as Etchenne
    ÉTIENNE Gender: Masculine
    Usage: French
    Pronounced: ay-TYEN
    French form of stephen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what i dont get is someone calling themselves emer but spelling it "eamhair"
    surely that'd be pronounced ah-wer...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

well that name is so commonly mispronounced,really grind my gears. Some ppl spell it one way but pronounce it the complete opposite. I would pretty much put money on it that it is said

phonetically
    ay-thaahhin (said quickly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

InFront wrote: »

On a related note, you know the weirdest name in the irish language? Tadhg.

It doesnt even resemble the sound, it's like spelling the word vase "kttz" :D . No offence anyone with that name:)

eh.. you pronounce Tadhg like t-eye-g! what way do you pronounce the name Tadhg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Karoma wrote: »
    Did they tell you they'd meet you outside Christ Church, by any chance?

oh god how I laughed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Eatin'. That does me.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Its actually pronounced "Rebecca".
    kudos for making me snot myself with suprize-laff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

The-Rigger wrote: »

Those are also the most used letters in the English language.

E T A O I N S

WYK

Advertisement