Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About the name Etaoin

Options
  • 28-07-2007 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm going to visit Ireland in a couple of weeks, where I will see many people whom I met online. Among those people, there is a person named Etaoin, and the thing is: I'm not sure how this name is pronounced or whether it is exclusively a female name or not. I did some searches online but couldn't confirm my findings.

I would be very thankful if you can help me; how is the name Etaoin pronounced? Is it exclusively a female name?

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Hate to piss on your parade, but I think Etaoin mislead you about their gender so I hope you like the back door.

Etaoin is pronounced Ethan

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did they tell you they'd meet you outside Christ Church, by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

could be Rozie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Etaoin - (AY-deen) from Old Irish et "jealousy". Legendary heroine surpassed all other women in beauty and gentleness.

http://southernirish.com/node/230

Hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

no etaoin is a girls name knew one a few years back. its pronounced eh-tayne afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Is not the bastardised anglicisation of Eithne?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

It's pronounced "Et-tane", but with less emphasis on the emphasis on the "t" sound than is suggested there. It is a girl's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OP, it's Irish/Gaelic for hermaphrodite or trans-sexual.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nephew wrote:
    Hate to piss on your parade, but I think Etaoin mislead you about their gender so I hope you like the back door.

Etaoin is pronounced Ethan

don't tell etaine doyle formerly head of comreg, she won't be at all happy.

It's a really well known girls name as far as I am concerned, it's just the OPs spelling that is off.

It's definitely Irish though, not an anglicised version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I know someone with that name, was told to say it like "Hetchin". I'm pretty sure it's the same spelling.

On a related note, you know the weirdest name in the irish language? Tadhg.

It doesnt even resemble the sound, it's like spelling the word vase "kttz" :D . No offence anyone with that name:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it makes sense in the Irish language

damn furrners

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

InFront wrote:
    I know someone with that name, was told to say it like "Hetchin". I'm pretty sure it's the same spelling.

It doesnt even resemble the sound, it's like spelling the word vase "kttz" :D . No offence anyone with that name:)

They told you wrong, it's pretty much pronounced as it is spelt, this person must not like their name and wants it to sound different or something.

tadhg is perfectly normal to me at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I've never seen a name spelt like that before. I'm sure the person who owns the name won't mind if you ask him/her how to pronounce it. My guess would be et-ay-on

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

I know a girl with that name and its pronounced 'et-tane'.
    The name Tadhg is spelled exactly exactly how it sounds, it's an irish name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Like "Elaine", except with a "t" instead of the "l".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Etain Doyle

I know someone else by that name, but she spells it the Irish way: Étaín ... not a common name, but not unheard of.

The original was a figure from Irish mythology ... see here.

If on the other hand this person does in fact spell it Etaoin, they may be using an internet nick (see The_Rigger's post above) ... after which, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Etaoin - (AY-deen) from Old Irish et "jealousy". Legendary heroine surpassed all other women in beauty and gentleness.

http://southernirish.com/node/230

Hmmm...

Or they may be using the proper name... see my post ^^ there!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Apologies, Irish Wolf, didn't see your post, and have never seen it spelled with the "o" before! All the better news for the OP though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

InFront wrote:

Sadhbh tends to wreck people's heads more as names go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

InFront wrote:

I'd have said that Gobnait was a strong contender for that title tbh. It sounds like a noise a pig would make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

embee wrote:
    I'd have said that Gobnait was a strong contender for that title tbh. It sounds like a noise a pig would make.

Depends what you were doing to the pig:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Foreigners also have a lot of trouble with Siobhan and Aoife. It's funny how it looks so normal to us but when you try to see it through their eyes it's like, hunh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

embee wrote:

Quite a lot of Irish names sound or look like animal noises. There's a reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Closest I could find was listed here. http://www.namenerds.com/irish/irisham.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭b_beep

Tis indeed pronounced 'Aideen', is Old Irish but has been bastardised by the Irish themselves by a 'say as you see' attitude, leading to folks being called 'eh-táin' which isn't a name of any history or meaning, just ignorance......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that is the worst name I have ever heard
    it's probably a bloke

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nioate00

My name is Etaoin and it's pronounced "Aydeen". You might wonder how in god's name you can get "Aydeen" from Etaoin but Irish is a totally different language to English so therefore the same rules do not apply, including pronounciation.

In old Irish "Et" was pronounced "Ead" or "aid". "Aoin",even in modern Irish is pronounced "een", for example "Ceadaoin" (which means Wednesday) is pronounced "Cay-deen".

In saying that, not everyone pronounces it like that, some pronounce it "ay-tawn" or "ee-tain". Technically though the correct pronounciation is "Aydeen".

If you want to read more on it you could follow this wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ta%C3%ADn

Oh and btw: it's a female name!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Google search? :D

Nice name anyway.

Welcome to boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

Guess it depends on how the person themsevles pronounces it as i knew a girl who pronounced it
    Like "Elaine", except with a "t" instead of the "l".

Advertisement