Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is it done in civilised cities?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

HonalD - Agree about the abusing of the flexibility

I was nearly run over crossing the NCR at Phibsboro by some muppet who took the green ahead light as a left turn light. The idiot had the cheek to shout at me to get off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

I find it irritating that there might be a green left-turn arrow (for example) that goes amber, then red, and immediately the green light for all directions turns on. What's the point of that? Can it not just go straight from green-arrow+red-light to green-light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

AndrewMc - there are 2 safety timings at traffic signals in general, the amber time (prepare to stop) and the all-red time (when all signals are showing red). The green for other approaches should not come on immediately as there should be a safety delay of 1-2 seconds in general. This compensates for Irish drivers continuously using the amber as a "put the foot down and keep going" time and then breaking the red lights.

Does this make sense?

HonalD wrote:
    Does this make sense?

Not really.. it implies that left turning traffic must stop for two seconds, while the lights "work to rule"

I find the Lights in the UK much easier to follow.

[rant] as for "brain dead" timings, well there are a few in Tallaght that drive me mad. Why go through the effort of installing mag-loop sensors in the road and then not use them!! :mad:

[/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Sorry dolanbaker, the "flashing amber" left turn arrow flashes continuously until a pedestrian presses the button and then the sequence for traffic is amber-red-flashing amber again!

All drivers need to do is check at the "flashing amber" left turn signal that no pedestrians want to cross, proceed with caution and obey any further signs and lines in place.

I think it would be unfair to single out any one area for bad timings - it is down to the level of maintenance and finance available whether the loops are repaired and/or working efficiently!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement