Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell or Apple???

Options
  • 26-07-2007 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I am looking to get a new laptop over the next few weeks. I cannot decide which to get. I like the Dell 1330 for size, but I'm thinking about an apple mac pro with leopard due out in October.

Do I get the Dell or wait for Apple to bring out leopard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

do you want a pc or a mac?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 WiiFallenAngel

I am not sure, I want something good for graphic design and games. A screen size of 13.3 to 15.4", lightweight and good battery life . I just don't know if I should get an Apple or Dell, I know the price is allot cheaper with dell, but I can get vat back so I could afford an apple.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am not sure, I want something good for graphic design and games. A screen size of 13.3 to 15.4", lightweight and good battery life . I just don't know if I should get an Apple or Dell, I know the price is allot cheaper with dell, but I can get vat back so I could afford an apple.

There isnt as big as a collect of Mac games as there is pc games

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mac's do look much nicer (i think) and there is also the handy option of being able to install xp or linux on them and use 3 operating systems.

If I had the money I would be very tempted by the macbooks...

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, I think I shall wait for the new Apple Mac Pro to come out. I can make do with the online games and go that little bit extra with the money. Well hope it comes out soon!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you had the money I'd go with the Mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

It all depends if you want a pc or mac, software can be limited for MAC use tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What kind of comparison is M1330 vs. MacBook Pro ? They're completely different kinds of laptops!?

Do you want a small laptop or a big laptop?
    Do you want high powered graphics, decent graphics, or integrated graphics?
    Do you mind OSX, or do you want XP or Vista?

Your question is sort of up in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Macs can support osx, xp and vista so your decision is a bit simpler.

What kind of comparison is M1330 vs. MacBook Pro ? They're completely different kinds of laptops!?...

Thought it was obvious. bling-bling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tech wrote:
    It all depends if you want a pc or mac, software can be limited for MAC use tough
    ahh quite on the contary, in 99% of cases there is a mac equivilant or better program than a windows one.

Cremo wrote:
    ahh quite on the contary, in 99% of cases there is a mac equivilant or better program than a windows one.

Help your bro out...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055125331

games are the 1% :D.

What kind of comparison is M1330 vs. MacBook Pro ? They're completely different kinds of laptops!?

Your question is sort of up in the air.

A. I said 13.3-15.4 that size range is between small and middle.

A. I want fairly good graphics for minimal amounts of graphic design, and to play some games too.

A. No I don't mind OSX at all, I like XP too, I wont touch Vista.

What I really want is something that is fast, lightweight, good battery life and is small to middle sized.

What might you suggest??

here's a video of half-life2 running under xp on a macbook.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRq_ddLJbs

have to admit this is news to me aswell, as i'm just a newly convert to macbook's aswell.

so anything <= graphics intensive (i know hl2 is more cpu intensive) than hl2 will work fine on a macbook, i would suggest 2gigs of ram though.

i have a new hard drive coming tomorrow which i'll be running bootcamp and installing an xp partition, i'll see if i can get hl2 up and running.

but for me portability was a major issue when buying my new macbook. then as long as it played half life 1 engined games, quakeworld, quake3 and UT for the odd college lan that goes on then i was sorted.

Cremo thanks for all that info, I think I would be very happy with a mac book. Thanks guys for all your suggestions, I shall get my laptop around October then. Let me know how half life 2 is Cremo!

Advertisement