Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple v Pc

Options
  • 18-07-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I would like to buy a laptop, I need it for writing essays for college, using email, my iPod and watching dvds. Which is better a dell laptop or the apple inotebook.

Thanks

Louise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Either, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You ask a million different people, you'll get a million different replies.

The short answer is neither are better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dell all the way ;) but at some point in my life i'll probbly buy an apple just to see what all the hype is about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

A cheap dell would be a good buy. (see bargain alerts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346)

Otherwise, if you have an extra bit of money to spend, I'd go for a macbook. I used a dell laptop for two years and thought it was good...that was until I bought myself a macbook...best grand I ever spent.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

BennyMini wrote:
    Hi,
    I would like to buy a laptop, I need it for writing essays for college, using email, my iPod and watching dvds. Which is better a dell laptop or the apple inotebook.

Thanks

Louise
    dont buy an apple, for what you are doing with it a basic dell will do. apples are way overpriced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

dont buy an apple, for what you are doing with it a basic dell will do. apples are way overpriced

I found that while Dell etc. have wider product ranges, Apple systems compare favourable for price when comparing similar spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

BennyMini wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks

Louise

Kinda depends on your budget a bit, but if I were you I'd go for a MacBook.

Great value for money, especially with the educational discount. Great array of software which comes with the machine, solid and intuitive operating system, almos virus free, a doddle to join networks.

hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Apple notebooks start at € 1049 and are core 2 duo with 80GB hard drive and 1 GB of memory

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=520F94DC&node=home/macbook/macbook

Similar Core 2 Duo specs to be had here for as little as €799 , from the likes of Toshiba , Acer , HP etc.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.aspx?bn=10011

Macs are definitely overpriced for what they are , theres no special hardware involved , just OSX and some software ,
    No matter what you want to do on a pc , there is free downloadable software that will do the job. Save your money and get a pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can use either so its a matter of personal choice.

I've just bought a Dell, mainly because it was much cheaper than a Mac for a spec that could play games. 17"/7900GS etc. I'd probably buy a Mac next time just to be different. I'd use either happily though. A Mac is more bling perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭need assistance

Have had various different dell laptops over the last ten years, must have spent half my time on them being asked if it was okay to tell microsoft about an error. Have converted to mac, different computer experience. Plus if you're pushed you can run windows on macs. :)

• Advertisement

Have had various different dell laptops over the last ten years, must have spent half my time on them being asked if it was okay to tell microsoft about an error. Have converted to mac, different computer experience. Plus if you're pushed you can run windows on macs. :)

You are well named my friend. Fixing PC errors is not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

apples overpriced, buy a nice cheap second hand laptop, should pick up a grand one for 400 - 500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

mathias wrote:
    Apple notebooks start at € 1049 and are core 2 duo with 80GB hard drive and 1 GB of memory

The O.P. says she wants it for college so is able to get educational discount, so actually they start at €986.15 to be exact. Or about €850 from the refurb store depending on specs.
    No matter what you want to do on a pc , there is free downloadable software that will do the job.

The same can be said for Macs to be honest. Check out versiontracker for instance.

I don't agree about their products being overpriced. If you want a trouble free, virus free, intuitive OS & machine in which things pretty much "just work" out of the box, well the price differential is a small premium I'm prepared to pay, and for productivity and peace of mind, it's worth it for me.

Of course your opinion may be different mathias. You seem to have had a few Vista issues judging from your posts, but there again you're probably technical and don't mind having to deal with them. I prefer to spend my time using a system rather than tinkering with it.

Apple v Pc: it's a tiresome argument, pretty much like Nikon v Canon in the camera universe.

hughchal wrote:
    T...Apple v Pc: it's a tiresome argument, pretty much like Nikon v Canon in the camera universe.

Well not quite but as annoying.

Buy the one you want. At this point there really isn't much difference once you get used to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

If you want a trouble free, virus free, intuitive OS & machine in which things pretty much "just work" out of the box,

In my opinion , and experience I might add , there is no such thing , all computers will give trouble , and a little bit of technical knowledge is a requirement , regardless of what flavour you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, I'm not interested in a Mac vs. PC debate and it doesn't look like the original poster is either.

They both have their merits, they both have their downsides.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement