Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenn Gould's 25th Anniversary.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Pianist2891

Argh, no it isn't Hofmann. It will come to me. I can nearly picture the story in my head but can't think of the pianist in question. And I'm too lazy to go check!

Hammerklavier is okay, not as bad as the Appassionata. There are about 5 Beethoven sonatas that I love, the rest I could live without. Same with Mozart Piano sonatas. AND Schubert! Haydn there are about 10 that I absolutely adore!

Damn it, who is that pianist in the after dinner story??!??

EDIT: Yes that was the reason I signed up to boards.ie ===== to aggravate my RSI and have ready made lecture-notes for next wednesday!! How will I communicate emoticons and smiley faces to the audience though?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

EDIT: Yes that was the reason I signed up to boards.ie ===== to aggravate my RSI and have ready made lecture-notes for next wednesday!! How will I communicate emoticons and smiley faces to the audience though?!
    Cardboard cutouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

/reads from printout in monotone voice for what is obviously time she's even looked at the page,
    /smiles waaay to broadly, appears crazy,
    /continues reading in monotone voice

So close...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

banquo wrote:
    So close...

Er...sorry?

• Advertisement

Aha, when I posted that yesterday I was under the impression that the concert was today, when further research has revealed that it is in fact on on wednesday.

Its not an isolated attention to detail. I just missed an exam there last wednesday becauseI thought it was on the following day, so now have to spend a year repeating it externally. Wouldn't mind except that it's only first year and the easiest damn thing, not even music-related. Another year of being the oldest non-mature student in first year [I'm 22] awaits.

But it does mean that I can afford to go to concerts like this for a year, which is a reasonable upside.

Just a quick message to say I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you who participated in this most stimulating of discussions tonight!!:)

Do come and say hello afterwards, and I will probably be too terrified to check the boards for feedback after the lecture recital, but I suppose its inevitable anyway!!

And no clapping between movements of the concerto! :D

Don't be terrified! At this stage, we're (you, me, Banquo and Doshea3) sort of the boards.ie Classical group, so I doubt anyone's going to have anything negative to say.

Best of luck tonight; I'm really looking forward to it, and to meeting you afterwards.

Best of luck tonight Pianist, I'm really looking forward to this. And you have to let us buy you a drink afterward :D

/returns to ironing tux

banquo wrote:
    Best of luck tonight Pianist, I'm really looking forward to this. And you have to let us buy you a drink afterward :D

/returns to ironing tux

Bfft!* You'll make me feel underdressed!

*Yes, it's a word...

• Advertisement

I'll make you a deal; if you go casual then so will I. Im strapped for time today so but not getting formalwear ready I can save hours!

banquo wrote:
    I'll make you a deal; if you go casual then so will I. Im strapped for time today so but not getting formalwear ready I can save hours!

Well, I'll likely be wearing jeans and a shirt. Are you getting a train from Maynooth, btw?

Jeans and a shirt it is! Yeah I've to go out to meet a potential landlady so I'll be getting a train in from there. The 18:35 from maynooth will do nicely. Meet you at the station? I'll be the one in a blue shirt, jeans, and needing a haircut. It's all neat and bowl-y and just looks wrong. Basically I look like a spa. Just look for the spa lol.

banquo wrote:
    Jeans and a shirt it is! Yeah I've to go out to meet a potential landlady so I'll be getting a train in from there. The 18:35 from maynooth will do nicely. Meet you at the station? I'll be the one in a blue shirt, jeans, and needing a haircut. It's all neat and bowl-y and just looks wrong. Basically I look like a spa. Just look for the spa lol.

I'll be the one running into the train station at the last second. See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Good luck Pianist2891! I'm looking forward to tonight.

By the way, what am I to call you pair, Banquo and Mad Hatter? You may call me Dave, as few of my friends refer to me as Doshea3. ;) I doubt I'll be able to stay around long afterwards I'm afraid as I must be back to Drumcondra earlyish, but I'll certainly stay for a chat.

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: I'll be wearing a white/brown/blue striped shirt and grey trousers if you want to spot me. Dark hair and semi-rimless glasses also, just in case everyone copies my fashion sense. ;)

Doshea3 wrote:
    Good luck Pianist2891! I'm looking forward to tonight.

By the way, what am I to call you pair, Banquo and Mad Hatter? You may call me Dave, as few of my friends refer to me as Doshea3. ;) I doubt I'll be able to stay around long afterwards I'm afraid as I must be back to Drumcondra earlyish, but I'll certainly stay for a chat.

Looking forward to it!

EDIT: I'll be wearing a white/brown/blue striped shirt and grey trousers if you want to spot me. Dark hair and semi-rimless glasses also, just in case everyone copies my fashion sense. ;)

My name's Bren. I'll very likely be wearing a hat, with jeans and a shirt.

Turns out that I missed my train to Maynooth, so I'll just be at the concert.

Bren, were you in Dixit Dominus a few months ago?

I have puff, fair/light brown hair, wearing a suit jacket, jeans, striped blue shirt, look of contempt for everyone around me.

Edit: Name is Rob.

banquo wrote:
    Turns out that I missed my train to Maynooth, so I'll just be at the concert.

Bren, were you in Dixit Dominus a few months ago?

Er...I was at it...wasn't in it, though.

Heh, you missed your train, I've missed my dinner. Ah well...

Bloody good tbh. Genuinely enjoyed that.

sings/
    DOWN-town...:D

Dave: You. Me. Johann. Organ.

Really enjoyed it.

Congratulations again, Pianist2891. Sorry for surprising you with the e-mail thing.

Also, was great to meet everyone! (and Orlando Gibbons)

• Advertisement

It was just terrific meeting you all, and I'm sorry for not picking up on your identities faster!! Orlando Gibbons thought it was a good evening all around, everyone seemed to be in a good mood afterwards, and the overall atmosphere was most un-field-room-nch-concert like which was nice!!

I posted some thoughts on my website...last night's lecture was probably the most difficult thing I've ever done! And now that its over, I look forward to more lectures, where people start singing Downtown unprompted! I do think Glenn would have approved!

Is everyone still keen on the Piano Circle idea?

Downtown! That was brilliant. Forgot to tell you I enjoyed your singing, Pianist2891. ;)

On picking up on our identities, I'm surprised you didn't notice us earlier, what with us laughing constantly at the musical in-jokes nobody else got. Your reaction to the word "boards" was quite funny, though—"Oh no, these are the musicians!" It was a great lecture, and I really enjoyed it. Don't forget to let us know about your next one. Sorry I couldn't afford a CD, I'll get one the next time.

Bren and Rob, delighted to meet you both, had a great night with you two. Must meet again at some concerts. (Berlioz on the 7th, Rob? Still fancy going somewhere afterwards? Looking forward to it already. ;) )

Rob: You. Me. Organ. Absolutely. :D I'll send you a message over the weekend, have to check when we'd have a quiet few minutes in the church. Bring your own Bach!

EDIT: Still keen on Piano Circle!

Yeah looking forward to Berlioz, def up for a drink afterwards/before/during.

Looking forward to it. I'll probably be getting the bus up from Glendalough that evening so I hope I'm there in time. I'll check the approximate journey time, but I should be up in time for the start of the concert. I'll meet you out on the steps at some stage before the concert, and if not in the same place at the interval.

Checked nch.ie and all the cheap red balcony tickets are gone. Best bet is the choir balcony (sit at the edge, though, where the sound is better) with student rate of €8.50 (I think) or some of the front stalls seats (all the side ones are gone) which are upwards of €16.

P.S. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yftk_cnbwKQ. Gould playing Beethoven's fifth concerto. Watch out for the hilarious gestures like I said last night. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Radio 4 (for whom I am self-appointed agitator-in-chief) put out a program on Gould's radio documentary work on Saturday. It's on the web until next Sat at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archivehour/.

I actually met and spoke to Piers Plowright when he was recording that documentary with Michael for BBC 4. Its very well put together, and Piers actually gave a brilliant talk on his own views on the radio docs of GG in September last year.

Advertisement