Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK to Letterkenny

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Kevoh

Thanks Olordy. Will do when I come hse hunting.

I've a general question on exchange rates. Will I get a better rate if I exchange my GBPs to Euros in Letterkenny? Or should I change them at Derry post offices/travel agents?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Ignore the travel agents and the post office. You'll get a better exchange rate in a bureau de change. Nearly all businesses in Donegal accept sterling (except coins) and give the going rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kevoh wrote:
    I agree with Seanies, quality of family life seems better in the smaller towns.

Telford Eh, When Ilived in the U.K. (London,) I had friends in Telford. A lovely part of England.

Strange old world, my youngestt sister & hubbie are moving to Letterkenny as they are now both retired. They have bought a new house between Letterkenny and Lifford up on a height overlooking everything, against my advice natually as I wanted them to settle in Ballybofey, but that is life.

I really wish you every happiness in your move. Despite my negative comments about the big L Town. You have made some great contacts via the North-West forum which is a real positive, and long may it last. :) .

P. :cool:

Yes Paddy, I've made some good contacts here. I owe you all a round once I've settled (and been paid!). Thank you and everyone here for their input and good wishes.

The hardest part of moving may be the drive from Telford. The maps calculate 10 hrs! for a 350 mile journey. I've driven the Dublin to LK route over and over again in my mind, using wikipedia to get descriptions of all the roads (Dublin Port tunnel, M1, N33, N2, A5, A38, N13, N14, N13 again). Hope it will be as simple as that & well sign posted. However it will be a good experience to drive nr places I've read about.

Kevoh wrote:
    (Dublin Port tunnel, M1, N33, N2, A5, A38, N13, N14, N13 again).
    Kevoh that route is correct until you get to Lifford from Strabane by the A38.
    The next road is the N14 out of Lifford to Letterkenny. This then joins the N13 for the dual carriageway. At the end of the dual carriageway, you are back on the N14 at the Clanree Hotel.

• Advertisement

Tht's true, I shouldn't rely on my memory!

Well... I've been in Lk almost a week now, the drive from Dublin was pretty straight forward, no much traffic. It took almost 3hrs, with one stop at Strabane.

Having driven around the town, it's bigger than I thought it would be. Work has been keeping me busy. Nevertheless, I have been successful in finding a house to rent, openned a bank account, applied for a PPS number.

I've made a few friends, all from work, once I've settled in a few weeks after my family arrive, I'll try a night out with a few of my colleagues.

Thanks to all of you for the good tips. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

hi, welcome to donegal, at least the weather has been good for you settling in..wont be long now til you have the accent

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

shiibata wrote: »
    hi, welcome to donegal, at least the weather has been good for you settling in..wont be long now til you have the accent
    Wait till someone tells him - "howl your horses" :D

muffler wrote: »
    Wait till someone tells him - "howl your horses" :D

Now that you are here, the rose tinted specs may begin to fade, but if you need some re- assurance that Donegal is the best place in the world to live.

I can tell you why , even though I am probably the most critical Donegal poster on this forum .

Welcome to Donegal, and I wish you and your's every happiness :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Do tell Paddy, do tell!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Do tell Paddy, do tell!

Do tell what :confused: You live here you explain how wonderful we are :).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I presume, tell why you think Donegal is the best place in the world to live?

*shrug*

byte wrote: »
    I presume, tell why you think Donegal is the best place in the world to live?

*shrug*

I know that some of my previous threads have knocked my home County, but if you do not understand my right to do that , then you do not understand my right to freedom of of speech ;), and my right as a native to be critical if I wish , I now live at home simply because it is where I belong !.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Once again this is being dragged off topic.

Paddy20 I have told you before and I am telling you now for the last time - THERE IS NO FREE SPEECH HERE. I cant make it any simpler than that. Now take this as a yellow card. If this goes off topic again its going to a red card with a much longer duration than the last one.

If you feel aggrieved in any way then you should start a thread in feedback - but be warned , dont start it here.

Now with that said can we get this back on topic again please.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Paddy20 wrote: »
    Now that you are here, the rose tinted specs may begin to fade, but if you need some re- assurance that Donegal is the best place in the world to live.

I can tell you why , even though I am probably the most critical Donegal poster on this forum .

Welcome to Donegal, and I wish you and your's every happiness :)

That was nearly positive Paddy!:rolleyes:

Kevoh good luck and best wishes.

Keep in touch, your views will be valued., like all posters here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

whilst sticking to the topic,

Kevoh, has anyone introduced you to the 4 Lanterns (I hope it is still there) after a feed of drink.

nanook wrote: »
    whilst sticking to the topic,

Kevoh, has anyone introduced you to the 4 Lanterns (I hope it is still there) after a feed of drink.
    Nooooooooooooooooooo.

Good luck Kevoh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Welcome Kevoh. Hope you enjoy the craic in Donegal. Remember, there's more to the county than Letterkenny. :cool:

I finally got Broadband! It surely took a while, can't get DSL so ended up with wireless, which has been reliable so far. That marks the end to stealing unsecured wifi from my car! (drive to Long lane for those interested)

I've enjoyed my first few weeks. I've not been intro'ed to 4 Lanterns, whatever that is. However, I've managed a night out last weekend at Voodoo via Cavern, with a friend. (Some of the girls can really dance! :)

No Donegal accent yet, I've had a bit of trouble understanding some of the fast talk some of you have, but I'm getting used to it. May I add that I've found most of you to be a bit shy, quiet and reserved. While most in England consider me quiet, many here find me to be very talkative.

Well, the hard part seems to be over as we all settle. We've experienced some culture shock, but nothing was unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Kevoh wrote: »
    I finally got Broadband! It surely took a while, can't get DSL so ended up with wireless, which has been reliable so far. That marks the end to stealing unsecured wifi from my car! (drive to Long lane for those interested)

I've enjoyed my first few weeks. I've not been intro'ed to 4 Lanterns, whatever that is. However, I've managed a night out last weekend at Voodoo via Cavern, with a friend. (Some of the girls can really dance! :)

No Donegal accent yet, I've had a bit of trouble understanding some of the fast talk some of you have, but I'm getting used to it. May I add that I've found most of you to be a bit shy, quiet and reserved. While most in England consider me quiet, many here find me to be very talkative.

Well, the hard part seems to be over as we all settle. We've experienced some culture shock, but nothing was unexpected.

its great to hear youve settled in ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Kevoh wrote: »
    I've enjoyed my first few weeks. I've not been intro'ed to 4 Lanterns, whatever that is

Its a fine dining experience where a friendly waiter will come to your table and take your order!

May I recommend the crab claws, smoked salmon and you gotta try the roast duck!;):D

Just joking!

It's an institution in Letterkenny, Sligo, Donegal Town, Buncrana, Dundalk and a few other places!

Just what you need after a few pints!

Gillie wrote: »
    Its a fine dining experience where a friendly waiter will come to your table and take your order!

May I recommend the crab claws, smoked salmon and you gotta try the roast duck!;):D

Just joking!

It's an institution in Letterkenny, Sligo, Donegal Town, Buncrana, Dundalk and a few other places!

Just what you need after a few pints!

Mmmmmmm. Chilli crab. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

smashey wrote: »
    Mmmmmmm. Chilli crab. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

smashey come on you would be lucky to get a chilli chip.

I think I saw 4 lanterns as I was driving past the theatre today, I'll check it out sometime soon, say hi if u see someone smiling even when it's gloomy.

regob wrote: »
    smashey come on you would be lucky to get a chilli chip.
    Hey, a man can dream.

Advertisement