Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK to Letterkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Slash_irl2

And This is my new account. It replaces my last one, which for reasons I am unallowed to disclose because of the charter, was banned. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Slash_irl2 wrote:

And why does the subject of Derry keep comming up?.. its in a different region not to mention a different country!

1/2 hour drive is a different region? North West? Have you looked at the national spatial strategy? Neither Govt. agrees with you.

If you live in Stillorgan or Swords is that a different region from Dublin city centre? Further away than Derry is to Lk though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slash_irl2 wrote:
    And This is my new account. It replaces my last one, which for reasons I am unallowed to disclose because of the charter, was banned. :p
    If only people would be this kind too me more often. Both accounts are now forum banned and a site ban will follow for any repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Slash_irl2 wrote:
    Yeah, the amount of funny looks my father got when he got his new car was well... alot :p

You clearly have never driven through a small village in Donegal and had half of its inhabitants drop their jaws and stare at your car ;)

And why does the subject of Derry keep comming up?.. its in a different region not to mention a different country!
    Well I presume your father must have purchased the bat mobile or something.

And the whole cityside of Derry is in a bit of Inishowen that was lopped off and stuck onto the former County Coleraine for political reasons. There's nowhere in Inishowen that can't get to Derry quicker than Letterkenny. Just because it's in a different political jurisdiction doesn't mean that the hinterland stops at the border. And that works in both directions - how many Derry cars would you see at the weekend in Letterkenny, especially around Christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Kevoh

Apologies for being so quiet while many of you contributed to this thread. Today, I received my verbal offer from Pramerica (as many of you guessed) and I start on the first week of October.

The hard work begins now, as I have to find a place to live (is daft.ie the place to search?), move my stuff etc

Thank you all for your replies, I'll definately have more Q's for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Daft may be helpful but there are a lot of estate agents in Letterkenny who would have a lot more properties in their book. Have a look here.

There was something about a fella in Lk who started a property site on the web too, it was in the local press. Something like 1,500 properties, to buy and rent. Without free advertising:D could have been Donegal properties or some name like that. Worth googling I'd say.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Thanks all. I have some more specific q's about lk.

Education: I have a 4 yr old. Which are the best state pre-schools and primary schools in Lk?

Heating and cooking: From what I've seen on the property websites, the main method of heating is oil fired. What about cooking? Is it better to leave behind our gas cooker in the UK as it uses mains LPG?

Kevoh wrote:

Education: I have a 4 yr old. Which are the best state pre-schools and primary schools in Lk?

Heating and cooking: From what I've seen on the property websites, the main method of heating is oil fired. What about cooking? Is it better to leave behind our gas cooker in the UK as it uses mains LPG?

Oil fired central heating is certainly the most comon method for heating. Town gas isn't available. Most people have an electric oven with a gas (bottled) hob. I know nothing about the schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Most people usually send their kids to the nearest school to them. Would think all the schools are much the same, although a school out in the country would have less in the class so the teacher probably can spend more time with individuals.

• Advertisement

shiibata wrote:
    Most people usually send their kids to the nearest school to them. Would think all the schools are much the same, although a school out in the country would have less in the class so the teacher probably can spend more time with individuals.

Then again they are 2 or 3 teacher scholls for junior infants to 6th class. They have to divide their energies between 3/4 different classes.

Bigger schools tend to have one teacher per class. 1 per maybe 24 to 30 kids. Maybe not as individual but all being taught the same thing.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Then again they are 2 or 3 teacher scholls for junior infants to 6th class. They have to divide their energies between 3/4 different classes.

Bigger schools tend to have one teacher per class. 1 per maybe 24 to 30 kids. Maybe not as individual but all being taught the same thing.

24-30, usually nearer the 30 mark..Mine are at a 3 teacher school My oldest just started 4th class and there are 21 in whole classroom.(4,5&6)
    The wee man just started 2nd and have 23 (1,2 & 3)
    The other room has baby and high infants and its less tan 20 I think

shiibata wrote:
    24-30, usually nearer the 30 mark..Mine are at a 3 teacher school My oldest just started 4th class and there are 21 in whole classroom.(4,5&6)
    The wee man just started 2nd and have 23 (1,2 & 3)
    The other room has baby and high infants and its less tan 20 I think

So the teacher has to spread her attention and teaching around 3 different classes! Eg. the teacher will be getting the 2nd class ready for first communion and will be spending time on that year, whereas one teacher with one class can devote all her attention to that particular class.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both types. Some small schools may only have 3 or 4 kids in 6th class and when they go to secondary lose those friends. Where as there's less chance if there's is 24 to 30 in a class of losing all those friends.

Very valuable info I'm getting from the 2 of you.

You mentioned communion. From the citizens info website, I've read that most schools are controlled by the Roman Catholic church and I would expect that this would apply to all schools in Letterkenny. am I correct?

I also read that "Children do not have to attend religion classes and you may choose to withdraw your child from such classes if you wish." I am sure the school/classmates do not take it personally when parents withdraw their kids from religion classes. My wife and I have decided teach the little one about all religions and she can choose the one (or none) she wants when she grows up. I've also read elsewhere that religion no longer plays a major role in day to day life as it used to and less than 45% attended regular services.

Seanies32 wrote:
    So the teacher has to spread her attention and teaching around 3 different classes! Eg. the teacher will be getting the 2nd class ready for first communion and will be spending time on that year, whereas one teacher with one class can devote all her attention to that particular class.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both types. Some small schools may only have 3 or 4 kids in 6th class and when they go to secondary lose those friends. Where as there's less chance if there's is 24 to 30 in a class of losing all those friends.

All at our kids primary school go to the one secondary school but right enough if your living in the country around LK, I see kids going to Raphoe(royal), convent, eunans, tec and even some going to Ballinamore irish school and some will probably lose their friends.

Kevoh wrote:

You mentioned communion. From the citizens info website, I've read that most schools are controlled by the Roman Catholic church and I would expect that this would apply to all schools in Letterkenny. am I correct?

I also read that "Children do not have to attend religion classes and you may choose to withdraw your child from such classes if you wish." I am sure the school/classmates do not take it personally when parents withdraw their kids from religion classes. My wife and I have decided teach the little one about all religions and she can choose the one (or none) she wants when she grows up. I've also read elsewhere that religion no longer plays a major role in day to day life as it used to and less than 45% attended regular services.

I have heard of kids not attending religion classes due to the same reason as yourselves. That should be no problem.
    The 45% you mention, I would think is being a tad generous. I would think it lower.
    Would not be 100% sure on all the primary schools in LK, only work there.
    Good luck in your quest any how.

PS Where is Pramerica? Is it up past hospital on the left

shiibata wrote:
    PS Where is Pramerica? Is it up past hospital on the left

Yep, at the office park on Windyhall road. It goes by the name Pramerica Financial, I later searched and found the sign on the web.

I've only been there once in late July for an all day interview/meet the people session b4 returning to the UK. Will be coming back to Lk later on this month to look for a place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Kevoh wrote:

As you say oil heating is installed in the vast majority of properties though there are some in Letterkenny with LPG tanks. However there is no reason why any gas cooker could not be used with bottled gas with a few modifications, thats if you have plenty of spare room on the lorry:) You may find a cooker will be left behind by the previous occupant in any case.

Schools are less of an issue here than in England when deciding on where to live, perhaps because there are no league tables. We're experiencing a bit of a baby boom at the moment though so expect things to get a bit crowded before long.

sesswhat wrote:
    We're experiencing a bit of a baby boom at the moment though so expect things to get a bit crowded before long.

Cripes:eek: take it easy on mrs.sesswhat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

shiibata wrote:
    Cripes:eek: take it easy on mrs.sesswhat

Too late:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kevoh wrote:
    VYou mentioned communion. From the citizens info website, I've read that most schools are controlled by the Roman Catholic church and I would expect that this would apply to all schools in Letterkenny. am I correct?

You're in for a bit of a shock kevoh if you think the Remote Control Church controls anything other than a toy car these days.

If you want the best primary education for you child then send your child to a Gaelscoil that teaches everything through the Irish language. There's an advantage in smaller class size and motivational teaching aspects. I know it sounds alien to you but my kid has Nigerian classmates in Gaelscoil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

Kevoh wrote:

Kevoh,

Your best bet for a school is most likely the Educate Together national school in Ballyraine. It's a truly multi-denominational school which has opened recently. Stepping out of religion class won't be a problem.

More details on the school and ethos at http://www.educatetogether.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭georgie59

Hi, Just thought I'd add my 2c worth.
    All the schools are not run by the Catholic church some are run by the Church of Ireland which is the Anglican chucrh in Ireland Opting out of the religion class wouldn't be a problem as there any many kids from different religions in the schools.
    I live 40 miles from Lk and my kids go to a 2 teacher school They love it and the school is imo fare more like a family to them they all get on well and are welcoming to any new kids.
    Visit the schools when you are over looking for a house most of them will welcome a visit after checking first of course
    Good luck with the move and don't think you'l regret it lovely country side for cycling easier pace of life with the irish and their easy way of going

Thank you all for assisting us in our move a lot easier. As we wait for our written contracts, we are clearing our hse of all the junk we have accumulated during the last 6 yrs. And yes, it's a lot.

Educate together seems like a very nice school.

I'll probably be in Lk looking for accomodation in a few weeks. I'm looking at staying at a B&B for 2 days.
    Of all the Letting agencies I've looked,

no advertising here please

Kevoh wrote:
    no advertising here please
    Apologies, I just wanted to know which B&B and agencies are better.

Kevoh wrote:
    Apologies, I just wanted to know which B&B and agencies are better.

Just make sure the B&B is registered and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Kevoh wrote:
    Hi, I'm Kev, currently living and working in IT in rural Shropshire, England.

I'm mulling over a job offer (I'll accept it) to work in Letterkenny. From what I've read so far, Letterkenny seems to be the kind of location we want since it's in a rural county, but with enough modern amenities.

We like the houses that we have seen on sale and their much lower prices compared to Dublin or the UK in general.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say about the town, esp. in comparision to other places in the UK. Some British expats have told me not to expect the level of development that we find in the UK, in regards to general infrastructure e.g. digital TV, broadband, public transport, roads, education etc

Kevoh,

Donegal is no paradise, and having lived in the U.K. for 30 years before returning home. I would suggest that you consider all options open to you as a job offer is not as important as family, security and your future in an environment that you know more about ?..

P. :cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Kevoh,

Donegal is no paradise, and having lived in the U.K. for 30 years before returning home. I would suggest that you consider all options open to you as a job offer is not as important as family, security and your future in an environment that you know more about ?..

P. :cool:

Ah trust P. to come up with the negatives! :rolleyes:

He's right though, there are disadvantages though I do think the OP is aware of them!

Seriously, his future in an environment he knows more about? Jaysus, if that was the case nobody would go anywhere :confused:

Life for your kids will be good here. That's why I moved back from Dublin. The OP will know what I mean. Of course he will miss family members he is leaving, but its not as big a deal as it used to be with airline and boat prices these days!

Seanies32 wrote:
    Ah trust P. to come up with the negatives! :rolleyes:

He's right though, there are disadvantages though I do think the OP is aware of them!

Seriously, his future in an environment he knows more about? Jaysus, if that was the case nobody would go anywhere :confused:

Life for your kids will be good here. That's why I moved back from Dublin. The OP will know what I mean. Of course he will miss family members he is leaving, but its not as big a deal as it used to be with airline and boat prices these days!

I agree with Seanies, quality of family life seems better in the smaller towns. If you have millions, one can enjoy the best of both world, million dollar mansion in the city, a nice cozy country house for the weekend.

I love new places, that's why I moved to Telford, where I've lived for 6 yrs. We don't have family in Telford, just friends. We'll miss my wife's side of the family, but we only see them 3/4 times every year, even tho' most live only 90 miles away. My side of the family is scattered around the world, UK, Kenya, USA etc we meet once every 2-3 yrs, so...

We are almost ready for the move now, In 2 weeks I shall be there, wife and daughter follow 2 weeks later. I've been in contact with a few Pramericans, some from the UK originally and they seem happy.

I'll be in touch asking for pubs, clubs etc in Lk. I like the look of new leisure centre from the pics I saw from Damian Blake's website (nice EOS 5D btw). It's time to dust off my lowly 350D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Welcome to Letterkenny! It's a big transition for you and your family, but I'm pretty sure it'll work out - I think Letterkenny has got everything you need for a great quality of life.

If you have any hassle with accomodation, PM me, I may be able to help you out, on house side of things.

Advertisement