Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Donegal by Car best route

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,811 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sorry for confusion, I meant M1 -> N33 to Ardee -> N2 to Castleblayney

In my experience quicker is M1 (to Dundalk) -> N53 to Castleblayney

Both early on a weekday morning, exiting the M1 around 7AM...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

I've had the "pleasure" of the N53 recently and I would advise against it at ALL costs.
    I was trying to work out was it quicker to get from 'Blayney to the Ardee/M1 junction via the N2 or the N53.
    The N2 wins hands down for me, as on the N53 overtaking opportunities are very scarce. The N2 is far better surfaced (although the N53 is Ok, the bit of the A37 in NI lets it down badly) and getting a clear run is much easier over a much straighter road. I wouldn't let one bad experience of the N2 put you off.

RadioCity wrote:
    I wouldn't let one bad experience of the N2 put you off.

Fair enough. I'll probably try it again

The N53 is indeed not good, especially in the North. Very little opportunity for overtaking. Having said that, the road is usually very quite and M1 to Castleblayney only takes about 20 minutes. And on the M1 at that time in the morning, the cruise control is on at about 130km/h so the distance between the N33 and N53 exists is covered in about 10 minutes

It'll be hard to do N33 to Ardee and N2 to Castleblayney in just half an hour, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Took the exit for South dundalk on the way there, road was Ok.

On the way back got stuck in Castleblaney and took the road to Dundalk hard to pass on but gave me some more Motorway on the way back.

It'll be hard to do N33 to Ardee and N2 to Castleblayney in just half an hour, surely?

Without pushing it, you can get from the chapel in Castleblayney to the start of the Carrickmacross Bypass in just over 10 mins.
    I would imagine in 20 mins from there you would be well onto the N33 heading for the M1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I usually go to Newry via the M1/A1 and then across via Armagh to Aughnacloy and then up the A5 OR I use the the M1/N33/N2/A5 route.

I rarely use the N53 route - hate it!
    unkel wrote:
    Right. I tried the Ardee exit from the M1 a few weeks ago. As people said here, the road was perfect and brand new. Unfortunately it was also full of slow vehicles.
    I sometimes find that traffic appears to be travelling slowly there but I think it's partly psychological after spending a good few miles at motorway speeds. In fairness, most drivers move over as it's quite wide.

(PS - I'd hardly describe it as brand new, it's been there a few years! :))

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone know what the N2 to N3 road Kentstown to Navan is like?
    Heading up to Bundoran this weekend from Finglas and I don't want to sit on the M50 to get to the N3 exit.. was thinking of heading up the N2 and cutting across to Navan at Kentstown.. thoughts?

spockety wrote:
    Heading up to Bundoran this weekend from Finglas and I don't want to sit on the M50 to get to the N3 exit.. was thinking of heading up the N2 and cutting across to Navan at Kentstown.. thoughts?
    The R153? I think. It's generally OK. I don't recall being held up much on it but it's been a while since I've been on it. Turn off the N2 at Balrath Post Office.

I usually go to Newry via the M1/A1 and then across via Armagh to Aughnacloy and then up the A5 OR I use the the M1/N33/N2/A5 route

Heres one to try if youre adventurous:

The M1 from Dublin to Newry
    The A28 Newry to Armagh
    The A29 Armagh-Dungannon-Cookstown-Maghera
    The A6 Maghera to Derry.

That bit of the A28 has to be one of the most pleasant roads to travel on, unlike that bit from Aughnacloy to Armagh which just looks unfinished.

That route as a whole has very few bottlenecks or towns with ridiculous traffic arrangements (Castleblayney,Omagh, Aughnacloy), and whatever towns it does go through, the traffic moves quite freely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

RadioCity wrote:
    That route as a whole has very few bottlenecks or towns with ridiculous traffic arrangements (Castleblayney,Omagh, Aughnacloy), and whatever towns it does go through, the traffic moves quite freely.

The Castleblayney 2+1 bypass will be open in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

And not a minute too soon.

I usually go to Newry via the M1/A1 and then across via Armagh to Aughnacloy and then up the A5
    RadioCity wrote:
    The M1 from Dublin to Newry
    The A28 Newry to Armagh
    The A29 Armagh-Dungannon-Cookstown-Maghera
    The A6 Maghera to Derry.

Interesting options, thanks for the suggestions :)

I was thinking of M1 to Newry but haven't tried it yet. I probably will now!

What about M1/A1 to Belfast and then A6 to Derry. Outrageous option?

unkel wrote:
    What about M1/A1 to Belfast and then A6 to Derry. Outrageous option?
    Strictly for the masochists! (especially in winter with frost on the Glenshane Pass ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

spockety wrote:

Yeah this is the quickest way to Navan from Dublin, I live in Navan and work all over Dublin and take this route home 9 days out of ten. I would even go this way from Blanch or Mulhuddard back in to the 50 round to the N2 and no hold ups all the way to Navan. Although they are doing some roadworks at the moment just after the Ashbourne bypass (temp traffic lights and 20 minute delays) so I do have to jump off at the last exit and take to the back roads.

Originally posted by Wishbone Ash
    especially in winter with frost on the Glenshane Pass

What frost is this???

To be fair, if theres one road that will almost be guaranteed to be gritted or cleared of snow, it is that road.

I did Dublin - Letterkenny - Dublin today using different routes.

Outbound: M1/A1 to Newry, A28 to Aughnacloy, A5 to Strabane and N14/13 to Letterkenny.

151 miles - 3 Hours 14 minutes

Return: N13/14 to Strabane, A5 to Aughnacloy, N2 to Ardee, N33/M1 to Dublin.

146 miles - 3 hours 11 minutes

Much of a muchness really!

(34 mpg average)

Much of a muchness really!

What starting time on your journeys? What vehicle?

unkel wrote:
    What starting time on your journeys? What vehicle?
    (I should have stated that I was travelling from Rush, not the city centre.)

I was in the car. Left at 9.10am and back in Rush at 4.45pm.

In that case much of a muchness is right :)

No city centre traffic, no M50, no rush hour anywhere, not driving against any commuter flow on single carriageways

unkel wrote:
    In that case much of a muchness is right :)

No city centre traffic, no M50, no rush hour anywhere, not driving against any commuter flow on single carriageways
    Plenty of right lane hoggers though! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Another 10 to 15 mins (maybe even 45mins on Fridays) will be cut off the N2 rout when the C'Blayney bypass is open.

Advertisement