Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Donegal by Car best route

Options
  • 23-07-2007 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am going to Ballybofey to be precise next week and looking to find the quickest way there- all suggestions welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭RadioCity

The most straightforward way is to go north on the M1 to the Ardee turn off (N33) and follow the signs for Derry.

When you cross the border at Aughnacloy, follow the A5 (signposted Strabane or Omagh) until you get to the Asda roundabout in Strabane and follow the signs into Lifford.

At the rounabout in Lifford turn left and following the N15 signposted Sligo/Stranorlar.

Ballybofey and Stranorlar are right beside each other, although Ballybofey will rarely appear on the signs heading that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

My usual route to North West Donegal is by car up the M1 to the Ardee turn off (N33), then onto the Derry Road (N2) to Strabane, then over the bridge to Lifford. From there you take the N15 south to Ballybofey, which is the first exit at the main roundabout in Lifford. There is a short-cut that skips the Strabane/Lifford part, but I believe that road is a bit of a boreen. Someone else who has actually used it might have a different opinion.

I'd say you'd do it in 3.5 hours or so.

If you're using public transport it's a different story, probably Bus Eireann / Private operator up to Letterkenny and then a local service from there to Ballybofey. The Dublin - Letterkenny route is pretty well served by bus, but I have no clue about the local services in Ballybofey.

You could fly to Derry also, but it's about an hour in the car from there to Ballybofey.

Its the road through Clady youre thinking of and is best avoided unless you know exactly where you're going. There's road works in Sion Mills which will attract even heavier volumes onto that back road.

Theres a few local BÉ services daily between Ballybofey and Strabane or Letterkenny but I wouldnt count on them as connections! Its a difficult part of Donegal to get to by public transport, odd as the main Bus Eireann garage is in Stranorlar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

RadioCity wrote:
    Its the road through Clady youre thinking of and is best avoided unless you know exactly where you're going. There's road works in Sion Mills which will attract even heavier volumes onto that back road.

Theres a few local BÉ services daily between Ballybofey and Strabane or Letterkenny but I wouldnt count on them as connections! Its a difficult part of Donegal to get to by public transport, odd as the main Bus Eireann garage is in Stranorlar.

there is a Strabane-Lifford-Ballybofey service that connects with some of the Dublin-Letterkenny services at Lifford, they are marked in the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Luckycharm wrote:
    Hi, I am going to Ballybofey to be precise next week and looking to find the quickest way there- all suggestions welcome.

The quickest way up to Ballybofey is as follows...

Take the M 1 to Dundalk. You take the N 52 (Castleblaney turn off); this road will take you via Crossmaglen to Castleblaney. You then join the main N 2 here and it's just a few miles to by-passed Monaghan. Keep on the N 2 all the way to the border and into Auchnacloy; the road here is fairly good all the way into Omagh (Can be a potential bottleneck).

On the road, watch out for the Clady turn off; it is on a bend close to Sion Mills and brings you to N 15 and the border; this short cut is a narrow road but it is easy to follow and spares you 20 miles into Lifford/Strabane. Ballybofey is a short hop from Clady though it's a pain to drive through at times. Allow 3.5 hours for the trip; I have done it using aforementioned shortcut in about 3 without pushing it. :)

If you are looking out for buses, locally the Lough Swilly buses give good service around the Donegal region though their web presense is almost nil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hamndegger wrote:
    On the road, watch out for the Clady turn off; it is on a bend close to Sion Mills and brings you to N 15 and the border; this short cut is a narrow road but it is easy to follow and spares you 20 miles into Lifford/Strabane.

It saves around 5 miles, not 20! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Hamndegger wrote:
    The quickest way up to Ballybofey is as follows...

Take the M 1 to Dundalk. You take the N 52 (Castleblaney turn off); this road will take you via Crossmaglen to Castleblaney. You then join the main N 2 here ........

Dundalk to C'Blayney is not the best way.... If coming off the M1, you should take the N33 as the other posts suggest, and Join the N2 just north of Ardee.
    By going this way, you'll have brand new road and avoid all towns/villages all the way to Castleblayney (....where it's 2+1 new by-pass will open later this year)

(Also Ham'nd'egge, the N52 (...or even the N53) doesn't go through Crossmaglen)

Luckycharm, What part of Dublin are you coming from???
    Depending on where (such as Blanchardstown, Lucan, etc)....you could be better taking the N2 all the way. (You can cut across back road to avoid the M50.....and ofcourse the M1 toll)

Lough Swilly do not service that area. Its Bus Eireann only in that area.

Service 494 (Ballybofey-Strabane) used to connect with service 32 at Lifford. While the 494 timetable "shows" connections, it predates the 32 improvements from October 2006 and not one of the journeys makes a good connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hamndegger wrote:
    You take the N 52 (Castleblaney turn off);
    I presume you mean the N53 turn off. He doesn't want to go to Nenagh! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

I normally take the route suggested by RadioCity except I stay on the M1 until the N53 slip road. This takes you across through Cullaville and directly into Castleblaney. I find this the best route although you can some times get some delays as you come into Castleblaney at a T-junction but most people will let you in.

• Advertisement

Oh, roadworks expected north of Castleblaney for the tie in for the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Victor wrote:
    I presume you mean the N53 turn off. He doesn't want to go to Nenagh! :)

I did indeed, Victor. Brain suffering from rusty cogs :)

By the way Skyhater, the N 53 does pass via Crossmaglen, just not through the village centre/army base itself :D I have taken this route the last few times I head towards Monaghan on recomendation from family who live in North Donegal/Derry and find it a lot handier than the N 2, I have to say; don't forget you get the advantage of the M1 and it's speed limit with this route over the N 2 though it is a better road nowadays.

In fairness, the tie ins at each end of the Castleblayney bypass aren't causing that much disruption yet. Its the normal congestion in Castleblayney that is the cause of delays.

Going off on a bit of a tangent, on Sunday the lights weren't working in the town and guess what, the traffic moved freely. Occasionally they switch the lights off and put a Garda there. Sometimes they are great at keeping the traffic moving, theres one in particular who is spot on at it. Theres a beangarda though who is totally awful at it with no common sense and causes more congestion than she is meant to alleviate.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

By the way Skyhater, the N 53 does pass via Crossmaglen, just not through the village centre/army base itself

The N53, strictly speaking the A37, passes through Cullaville, 4km from Crossmaglen. In the same parish, but not the same place as anyone in the GAA will tell you! At this point there may be a small advantage in the N53 route, although the Louth and Armagh sections are not very good, this will probably disappear when the Castleblayney bypass opens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

From North Dublin the quickest route is via Omagh as described. From West Dublin you could try the N4 to Sligo and N15 to Balleybofey - the route is slightly longer but has very few bottlenecks, and is safer and less tiring (the A5 from Balleygawley to Omagh is very poor).

Hamndegger wrote:
    I did indeed, Victor. Brain suffering from rusty cogs :)

By the way Skyhater, the N 53 does pass via Crossmaglen, just not through the village centre/army base itself :D I have taken this route the last few times I head towards Monaghan on recomendation from family who live in North Donegal/Derry and find it a lot handier than the N 2, I have to say; don't forget you get the advantage of the M1 and it's speed limit with this route over the N 2 though it is a better road nowadays.

ucdperson clarified the situation re Crossmaglen....... you have to drive a few miles along twisty road before reaching Crossmaglen from the N53....Enough Said!!!

On the N2 rout.... It is sometimes the best route to take if coming from certain parts of Dublin. I always take the N2 from say Clonsilla.
    (Clonsilla > Clonee > N3 > Turn off for Fairyhouse > Rathoth > Join N2 north of Ashbourne).
    Going this way I normally am between Ashbourne and Slane before my Brother reaches the M1 at Dublin Airport!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks for your replies. Just to clarify a few things I am coming from Firhouse, live beside M50 exit so will be taking the M50. I will be driving and looking for the easiest and quickest route there. Given I did manage once to get lost coming from Belfast to Dublin (they don't seem to signpost Dublin):eek:

Also as i have only been there once any suggestions as to where to go will be there 2 days/3 nights - have 2 young kids.

Bundoran springs to mind. Well Waterworld is there...

Try these for size:
    Jungle King in Letterkenny
    http://www.jungleking.ie/

Fintown Railway
    http://www.antraen.com/

Letterkenny Leisure Centre (swimming pool)
    http://www.auraleisurecentres.ie/locations/aura-letterkenny.html

Ards Forest Park
    http://www.visitgweedore.com/ards.htm

Brunswick Superbowl, Derry (In particular Bananas Castle)
    http://www.thebrunswicksuperbowl.com/

Millbridge Open Farm, Convoy
    http://www.esatclear.ie/~turoefarm/top/farms.htm#MILLBRIDGE

RadioCity wrote:
    In fairness, the tie ins at each end of the Castleblayney bypass aren't causing that much disruption yet. Its the normal congestion in Castleblayney that is the cause of delays.
    There was a closure notice in Monday's papers.

I'm up and down that road regularly and the thought of going through Ballybay makes me physically ill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,818 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Hamndegger wrote:
    recomendation from family who live in North Donegal/Derry and find it a lot handier than the N 2, I have to say; don't forget you get the advantage of the M1 and it's speed limit with this route over the N 2 though it is a better road nowadays.

I agree. I've been going to Inishowen from Dublin several times in the last few months and find the M1 to Dundalk and then across to Castleblaney is the quickest. You're in Dundalk in minutes and granted, the road to Castleblaney is crap, but there are no bottlenecks, unlike the N2!

unkel wrote:
    .........but there are no bottlenecks, unlike the N2!
    There are no bottlenecks on the N2 (......using the N33 link road) until you get to Castleblayney.
    You have Brand new road, without passing through any villages or towns all the way to C'Blayney.

If you value your family's safety, you should take the M1>N33>N2 route.
    The N53 is a death-trap..... Narrow, Twisty and most of all undulating hills which make viability really bad.... Especially in Louth and Armagh. When you pass into Monaghan the road improves. (This was upgraded a number of years ago when the plan was to use the N53 as the main link road)

Skyhater wrote:
    There are no bottlenecks on the N2 (......using the N33 link road) until you get to Castleblayney.
    You have Brand new road, without passing through any villages or towns all the way to C'Blayney

I haven't tried that option yet since the new road opened. I will do it the next time and report back here if I remember :)
    Skyhater wrote:
    On the N2 rout.... It is sometimes the best route to take if coming from certain parts of Dublin. I always take the N2 from say Clonsilla.
    (Clonsilla > Clonee > N3 > Turn off for Fairyhouse > Rathoth > Join N2 north of Ashbourne)

I live in Lucan, so I tried that one a few times. It added at least an hour on average to my trip compared to M50 / M1 route. Very tiring / unsafe route, not to mention a single lane bridge (Slane) on a national road :eek:

It is the shortest trip in distance, but unless there is some kind of major issue on the M50, I won't try it again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Depends where in Donegal you plan to go to. For Letterkenny, central and North Donegal, take the M1 to Dunleer and then the N33 to Ardee and the N2/A5 via Monaghan to Strabane/Lifford.

For the south of the county - Donegal town, Killybegs and Bundoran, the N3 via Navan, Cavan and Enniskillen is the most direct route but alas no dual carriageway/motorway.

Avoid using the N53 from Dundalk to Castleblayney though. Even though you have a few more miles of motorway, the N53 itself is narrow, twisty and has dangerous hidden dips. I know as I've tried it. It's not worth the risk IMO.

I drove on the N3 once, and I swore never again!

Aside from the N3, the state of the roads in county Fermanagh are at best, poor. (I was driving from Enniskillen to Dublin). If I thought I had to do it again, I would go through Clones and get to Monaghan, back to the "traditional route" instead of having to endure that A509 and N3 again.

Driving the N3 took ages because bypasses are few and far between and some nasty congestion along the way, Navan, Virginia and Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

EuroRAP report
    http://www.nra.ie/PublicationsResources/DownloadableDocumentation/RoadSafety/file,1403,en.PDF

N53 Louth 13km 61 fatal or injury collisions 1998-2002

So one of the most dangerous roads in the country. Almost all of the more dangerous ones have been replaced, e.g. N1 Dundalk/Border or N2 Dublin/Ashbourne. However the N53 has only received white lines and a few warning signs, there was been no substantial engineering work done recently, but it is busier because people use it to reach the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Skyhater wrote:
    You have Brand new road, without passing through any villages or towns all the way to C'Blayney.

If you value your family's safety, you should take the M1>N33>N2 route.
    The N53 is a death-trap..... Narrow, Twisty and most of all undulating hills which make viability really bad.... Especially in Louth and Armagh. When you pass into Monaghan the road improves. (This was upgraded a number of years ago when the plan was to use the N53 as the main link road)

Ok so M1 then N33 link road is that turn off between Drogheda and Dundalk? then N2 right?

Thats right, the signpost on the M1 shows Ardee and Derry.
    Once on the N33 it is a straight road onto the N2 at the Ardee rounabouts.

Right. I tried the Ardee exit from the M1 a few weeks ago. As people said here, the road was perfect and brand new. Unfortunately it was also full of slow vehicles. Overtaking was just about impossible as I was driving against a busy flow of commuters driving in the Dublin direction. To give you an idea, I took the exit from the M1 at about 7AM on a Tuesday morning.

On the way back towards Dublin the next day, the new bit of the N33 was closed from Castleblaney, so traffic was diverted directly to Dundalk / M1 for several miles before it was diverted back towards the new section of the N33. It would have been pointless to try that so instead I continued towards Dundalk / M1

Next time I'll go M1 all the way to Dundalk as before. You just can't beat a motorway...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    On the way back towards Dublin the next day, the new bit of the N33 was closed from Castleblaney, so traffic was diverted directly to Dundalk / M1 for several miles before it was diverted back towards the new section of the N33. It would have been pointless to try that so instead I continued towards Dundalk / M1
    New section of N33 or N2? N2 meets N53 at Castleblaney. N2 meets N33 at Ardee.

Advertisement