Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats in the Attic

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Alun,

Thanks for that. The property is beside water and there are plenty of trees about. A very interesting web page, thanks for this link.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Tree roosts are rare which is why bats like houses. I guess your house is made from stone with lots of access holes in to the attic. Ask Bat conservation to come out to see what bats are there and give advice on excluding them. What was the smell? Dead things or just stale air?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tree roosts are rare which is why bats like houses. I guess your house is made from stone with lots of access holes in to the attic. Ask Bat conservation to come out to see what bats are there and give advice on excluding them. What was the smell? Dead things or just stale air?

On reflection probably dead things. It would be a stone house with gaps between the roof and walls where a fascia would be on a modern house. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've just discovered that I have bats in my attic.

I don't have any issues with the bats, it's just that their entry point is a missing ridge tile that I'd like to fix to stop the rain getting in. Is there anything that I can do to fix the ridge tile ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A quick Google reveals that there are bat friendly ridge tiles available (in the UK), see http://www.tudorrooftiles.co.uk/bat.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Alun wrote: »
    A quick Google reveals that there are bat friendly ridge tiles available (in the UK), see http://www.tudorrooftiles.co.uk/bat.html

Great. Thanks. It didn't occur to me that there'd be such a thing.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Great. Thanks. It didn't occur to me that there'd be such a thing.

Me neither until I Googled it :) I knew there were normal tiles available with bat entrances, but not ridge tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Tenbears wrote:
    Srameen, I’m sorry if you took that personally. I meant no offence in what I said. But I am speaking from my own experiences with bat people from around the world. Also in all my dealing with bat people in Ireland it’s simply facts that the vast majority of people that welcome bats and are educated (or at least willing to be educated) are not Irish. It annoys me that so many people in Ireland seem to enjoy giving bats a bad name. I’m Irish so believe me I take no pride in saying this but it’s still very true. I’m not a tree hugging, animal loving freak; I even hunt wild animals and birds. I also understand that some people have real fears of some things (including bats) and those people should not have to share a home with them (and they don’t have to). It’s just the constant negativity that gets under my skin.

There there Batman there there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There there Batman there there

It took over 6 years for that?????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not so much an attic, but we're waiting in Malaga airport for the check in desk to open and there's quite a sizable bat flying around the departures area. Not an easy place for it to get water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

It will be "removed" overnight.
    RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was wondering how they might catch it. It's days were numbered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

We live in a dormer bungalow and have bats in our attic for a good few years now (one or two of the poor sods managed to drown in our expansion tank). They haven't bothered me until today I found one inside the house flying around the hallway. It landed on the floor upstairs, so I threw a towel over it and released it outside. I can't see anyway it could have entered the house from our attic as entrance is via a trap door with no gaps around it and that's it! We have several Velux skylights upstairs. They are always closed, but is it possible they could crawl though the opening when the handle at the top is open for ventilation? The only other access route is down the chimney which I think is unlikely.

Darwin wrote: »
    We live in a dormer bungalow and have bats in our attic for a good few years now (one or two of the poor sods managed to drown in our expansion tank). They haven't bothered me until today I found one inside the house flying around the hallway. It landed on the floor upstairs, so I threw a towel over it and released it outside. I can't see anyway it could have entered the house from our attic as entrance is via a trap door with no gaps around it and that's it! We have several Velux skylights upstairs. They are always closed, but is it possible they could crawl though the opening when the handle at the top is open for ventilation? The only other access route is down the chimney which I think is unlikely.

Bats can get through tiny holes. The window would be no problem, even if just slightly ajar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Will have to make sure the ventilation slats are closed night. Am I right in thinking bats like to hibernate in caves during the winter as house attics tend to be too warm? Is worthwhile building a bat box somewhere near the house in the hope they will settle there instead?

Darwin wrote: »
    Will have to make sure the ventilation slats are closed night. Am I right in thinking bats like to hibernate in caves during the winter as house attics tend to be too warm? Is worthwhile building a bat box somewhere near the house in the hope they will settle there instead?

Yes, generally they use our houses in Summer. If you put up bat boxes you will need to ensure the previous access to the attic area is sealed off. A bat box will not lure the bats out, as they will see your attic as a better alternative. It can be hard to get bats to adopt a box. Plus, they have to discover and adopt it on their own, boxes often remain unused for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

About a month ago there was a really windy night and it knocked down a short length of fascia off gable of our house. It broke into pieces and fell to the ground. When we were building the house we had to special order it in because it's an unusual size so it hasnt been fixed yet while we source more. With the dry weather we haven't really being overly pushed.

Tonight I discovered there are somewhere between 50-100 bats accessing my roof via the hole that's left. I have the fascia on order and intend to install it as soon as I get it to prevent damage to the roof from water ingress when the rain returns. I really don't want to hurt the bats and would like then removed. Will the NPWS removed them for me or if I ring them will they just force me to hold off on my repairs?

My wife has a fear of bats, and I myself have a fear of all flying animals (birds bats etc) so we really would like them gone and while we don't want to damage or hurt them we will prioritize the repairs to our house over them.

Had anyone any advise that might help?

Attached is a pic of one which flew into our window and was stunned on the ground tonight

Contract NPWS as soon as possible. There are legal issues here.

Contract NPWS as soon as possible. There are legal issues here.

I've tried that. On their website it gives the number 01 888 3242 but that just goes to some pre-recording in no way related to NPWS and then disconnects. There is also a freephone number as given on the bat conservation website (1800 405000) but that appears to be an invalid number who matter where I ring from. I can't find a number for a NPWS ranger in my area (Offaly), so I genuinely don't know where to turn.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've tried that. On their website it gives the number 01 888 3242 but that just goes to some pre-recording in no way related to NPWS and then disconnects. There is also a freephone number as given on the bat conservation website (1800 405000) but that appears to be an invalid number who matter where I ring from. I can't find a number for a NPWS ranger in my area (Offaly), so I genuinely don't know where to turn.

Try the email address on the website. Or email bat conservation Ireland info@batconservationireland.org

• Advertisement

There are some individual contact numbers for NPWS wardens here.

http://www.irishwildlifematters.ie/animals/contacts.html#GO-NPWS

I've no idea how up to date they are in general, but there's one fairly recent appointment there that I recognise, so they may be being updated regularly.

Try the email address on the website. Or email bat conservation Ireland info@batconservationireland.org

Done some digging about on other website and found a number for the Ranger office in my area. I gave them a call and they're sending someone out to assess the situation and try get a count of how many there are. He mentioned paperwork and an "exclusion" but he said the ranger will explain all this when he calls. He did say that due to the season that's in it, he is pretty sure that they can't relocated them so I'm assuming the exclusion is from me doing any work to my repair the damage to my house till they're gone. If we've a late summer that could be as late as October which gives plenty of time to water and rot to see in the timbers of my roof. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Done some digging about on other website and found a number for the Ranger office in my area. I gave them a call and they're sending someone out to assess the situation and try get a count of how many there are. He mentioned paperwork and an "exclusion" but he said the ranger will explain all this when he calls. He did say that due to the season that's in it, he is pretty sure that they can't relocated them so I'm assuming the exclusion is from me doing any work to my repair the damage to my house till they're gone. If we've a late summer that could be as late as October which gives plenty of time to water and rot to see in the timbers of my roof. :(

Commiserations. I have been in a similar situation.

I suspected as much. I have bats here and had to consider that when doing roofing work. Speak to the ranger about facia that allows access. You'll honestly not be aware of them being there and can close off the access later if you must,

Advertisement