Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Performer

Options
  • 20-07-2007 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I will be buying a recording set up next month. Want to go Pro Tools but am not happy with the quality of the mic pres and convertors on the 002/3.

So would have to buy extra pres and convertors.

Then I got to thinking that maybe I could use another application for tracking then drop it into PT for everything else.

Digital Performer looks good and there are no restrictions to which interface you can use. So rather than having to buy a digidesign interface plus extra pres and convertors i could just buy the pres i want.

Has anyone had any experience with DP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

i reccomend SX3 with a project mix. Brill setup for what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

You could go into a 002/3 via ADAT or SPDIF.
    Avoid the converters that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

sei046 wrote:
    i reccomend SX3 with a project mix. Brill setup for what you want

how so bro?

Cubase Sx is really the head Daw in that area. Very Flexible and very powerful. The projectmix integrates very well with it but i cant really vouch for the pres and Converters. Used it once and they seemed fine. as a controller it seems pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baz_Masterplan

Logic Pro is the way to go.

• Advertisement

I eat Logics for breakfast before heading out to do a good days work on SX

Whatever. Cubase is good enjoy it.

Logic rules my friend. The Nile is river in Egypt.

grammar. Logic had a good few endorsers throughout ireland until recently. Its not a bad program, it just isnt as user friendly or powerful as SX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

are people really recommending someone to get cubase instead of protools?

That is honestly the biggest pile of ****e I've ever heard. The mic pres on the 002/003 are really quite good. Far better than anything else i've heard in the same price field.
    Check out the mic pres and converters on the 002 again. I've a/b'd them with many other pres and converters (including the hd 192's) and there's not enough of a difference to even speak about.

A good quality mic into a 002 is not a million miles from the hd 192's.

The pres on the digi stuff are a good bit behind a dedicated pre to be fair. Ive found none of the pres on the PM, 002/003 or FW are really any better than each other. Its a great deal for the price but the ADDA and Pres are not great. And Le is lightyears behind SX. We all know that. Going from LE to SX is like gettin away from a thundering bit*h of a girlfriend!

• Advertisement

i love the way people say PT and not PT LE! its so cute

sei046 wrote:
    i love the way people say PT and not PT LE! its so cute

Erm have you used LE and HD side by side? Feck all difference apart from the power (obviously) and the plugin format.
    I happen to have a hd system set up at home at the moment AND an LE and for all intents and purposes it really is not a big deal to not differentiate explicitly on a forum like this.

And are you really saying that Cubase SX is better than LE? Really?

You must be completely bloody deaf!!

Look in this guys situation his money would be better served with an SX or even Performer rig over the LE rig. Anyone who works with big projects involving lots of variables will have a pain in their ass with LE. No Delay Compensation? Forget it.

I could be wrong but does LE have a 24 track limit?

sei046 wrote:
    grammar. Logic had a good few endorsers throughout ireland until recently. Its not a bad program, it just isnt as user friendly or powerful as SX

A few good endorsers throughout Ireland. Its hardly the Digital music hub of the world. Why would anyone care about that? Apple is underrepresented in Ireland except for pods ec.

It is more powerful and more flexible then SX but it like all things worthwhile takes a bit of getting used to.

Tis the pro choice for music creation (not recording, I know pro-tools). Read Sound on Sound, Future Music, Music Tech, Computer music. 9 out of 10 interviews with pros in these mags use Logic.

Anyway....

Whats so special about it? how come its so flexible? and some of its features? i only used it briefly so i must have overlooked it. and im not even being sarcastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm a Cubase man myself so I'd go for that anyday over Logic Pro, which I used for a good few projects. But there were some things I preferred about Logic, I think the automation is friendlier than it is in Cubase for a start. But I don't trust its audio engine for one thing.

I never liked Pro Tools but I rarely do purely recorded audio stuff anyway. So I'll recommend Cubase too. But I've also heard good things about DP from friends who've used it.

Horses for courses I guess.

i have heard good things about all of them. What didnt you like about the automation? i actually really like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I do like the automation is cubase but I still preferred the automation in Logic. All the different parameter curves per track are superimposed and changed via a drop down as opposed to cubase's nested side-by-side automation. Also in cubase the various shapes (sine, triangle etc) are quite crude compared to the smooth curves that can be drawn in logic. But that is one of the few things I prefer about logic. I suspect it depends on what people are used to, to a large extent.

i like the sound of the superimposed jobby. IIt is a better idea alright, would take up less room. But you can use more shapes than what you were saying and can get more detailed curves in the fade menu. you can even make your own.

Spose at the end of the days lads they are all brushes and it depends on the artist. Both packages are more than capable of producing release quality music. Its the music that counts.

For me the plugins do it for me with Logic and I now like to restrict my options with Instruments so that the creative process is not lost in options. I know other people love Ableton for instance but all of the effects sound metalic to me. I few programs for sale if anyone wants them. They are on Adverts as I don't use them since getting Logic Pro.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

well i love the way cubase deals with effects and instruments. The way it deals with Midi and Vst is top notch. They are Daws and i am not a huge believer in how Cubase SOUNDS or how Logic SOUNDS. thats pres and ADDA. I just like my DAW to be easy to use and help improve the workflow

Both packages are more than capable of producing release quality music. .

Cheers.

While that is true, Pro Tools LE, Logic and Ableton are the more commonly used programs for professional quality releases. Cubase is hardly used at all. Although it is very popular with amateur project studios.

And Sei, your 'sound' is actually very much determined by the sequencer you use simply because of the way the mix is summed by the program. Each sequencer has its own mixing algorithm- for instance ableton is regarded as an incredible production/composition tool, but when it comes to mixing it gets a bit muddy, hence the reason it's combined as a rewire slave for most commercial release productions.

I used SX about 5 months ago and it did not have in any way the same clarity as Pro Tools LE. I was using the exact same monitors and D/A's as i do with LE and to be honest it just had that horrible amateur sounding cubase sound (i was using cubase since the vst 5 version, and finally got away from it).

Now Sei, considering only recently you were asking what exactly the 002 was (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103875), you seemed to have garnered an in-depth knowledge of the preamps and ADDA's in a matter of days.
    Honestly you really can't underestimate the difference in actual sonic quality between the sequencers. As was posted somewhere above, some people regard ableton as sounding too metallic. And it does. Although i love it and tend to eq it all out in pro tools.

I have never come across a pro studio using LE. i mean actually pro. In fact its a bit crazy to even think about! I actually am not even sure you should be able to advertise yourself as a pro studio with LE.

I was looking at the Digis for a while and i tried a few other bits and bobs. Got a 002 for a while and decided in about a week it was not for me. I dont look my sequencer telling me what i can or cant do!

I think the sound of your seq is the least of your worries in that LE chain! Dont even get me started on the commonly used programs comment!

im not saying LE is useless. Its a good package with 002/003 but considering what this lad wants(which was the topic, before you got all tired and emotional) i just dont think its his best choice! I would use the LE in a live situation(well actually SX and a PM) but i can see its use there where you prob wont millions of tracks and latency is not an issue. In a studio where there is a large amount of work going with 50, 60+ tracks? Naw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

jtsuited wrote:
    are people really recommending someone to get cubase instead of protools?

What im considering is getting TWO. PTLE for editing etc.
    And another programme: DP, SX3,Logic etc?? for getting the tracks in. via good pres and convertors. Use that for recording and PTLE for mixing editing etc.

The pres and convertors available for LE get a lot of negative press. They arent up to sctratch so i want to avoid having to buy a 002 or 3 at all.

Well its your call man. Just be very wary of the limited track count in PTLE and the lack of delay compensation! Im not sure LE is really doing you any favours there, Why do you really want LE? What is it about it that that you need?

and no one is reccomending SX over Pro Tools. just PTLE......BIG DIFFERENCE! Dont tell a Pro tools user that you use pro tools if its PTLE...They dont like it!

sei046 wrote:
    I have never come across a pro studio using LE. i mean actually pro. In fact its a bit crazy to even think about! I actually am not even sure you should be able to advertise yourself as a pro studio with LE.

The fact is that LE integrates seamlessly with HD systems and as I've said having used both extensively, the difference between the two would be negligible to the average user.
    Yes there's a max track count but without a shedload of Ram you'll never get near that anyway. The delay compensation issue is null and void because of the time adjuster plugin. Sorry, how long did you use protools LE for again?

The guy is looking for something exactly what protools LE mbox/digi002/003 was designed for. And if you are honestly saying the Cubase Sx route is the better option to go for you are either
    1) Deluded
    2)Deaf
    3) neglecting the massive industry trend towards protools Le or Logic in all areas.
    4)maybe a combination of all of the above.

Oh and by the way- have you ever used a protools hd system? Cause if you haven't you really are not in a position to be getting pedantic about the difference betweeen hd and LE.

I'd love to see someone bringing in a cubase SX session to a professional studio for mixing. It's a bloody nightmare of exporting individual files etc.

Whereas you bring in a PTLE session and your away before you can say the words 'compatibilaty convenience'!

sei046 wrote:
    Dont even get me started on the commonly used programs comment!

Why exactly?

Because Pros dont use LE! Thats Why! I cant stick having to worry about something as fundamental to recording as a track count or my music being in time! I work with Protools engineers the entire time on 11 and 12 track albums!

Why......why would you offer someone a system with limitations like LE when you can offer them another daw like cubase or logic. From post one you got fairly personal and took an awful lot of offence to questioning so maybe you should step back a bit and offer some help to the topic or throw out some stats. Less emotion and a bit more common sense would be nice

• Advertisement

i also dont get why you keep bringing up the idea that i must be deaf..... I could almost garuntee your signal chain is not clean enough for you to begin worrying about the summing stages of the daw

and cubase is considered to be one of the best summing stages along with logic i think

-No plugin delay comp
    -real time audio bounces
    -Plugin CPU useage
    -PC compatability
    -have to use digi hardware to use there software

Get it out of your head. Dont pay for a sub standard interface and a sub standard Daw when all you really need is one good decent daw. GET Pro Tools HD or Cubase or Logic

Advertisement