Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC-ness gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on rte lunchtime news right now. The message is they want to stay but they can't work (visa laws) the government has said it'll pay to fly them out.

Pavee Point say an info campaign in Romania etc is required to warn them of just turning up.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

TheGooner wrote:
    We have been through this already in after hours and we learnt that it is there culture and tradition to lie, cheat, beg, steal and basically live a totally lawless life.

Indeed. Just as it was the culture of the masses of Irish people emigrating to Britain and the US in the last 2 centuries (I'm talking about attitutes towards Irish emigrants particularly in late nineteenth and early twentieth century though) to be lazy, smelly alcoholics? There is usually a certain amount of truth in every stereotype, but that doesn't mean that you can generalise about a whole nation/ethnic group because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Indeed. Just as it was the culture of the masses of Irish people emigrating to Britain and the US in the last 2 centuries (I'm talking about attitutes towards Irish emigrants particularly in late nineteenth and early twentieth century though) to be lazy, smelly alcoholics? There is usually a certain amount of truth in every stereotype, but that doesn't mean that you can generalise about a whole nation/ethnic group because of it.

That is true, but do you know any Roma gypsys personally that work hard at a legitimate 9-5?

Yes you can say that about the irish back then but it was NEVER our culture or tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Most Irish people are alcoholics in comparison to some other European countries. Its a fair stereotype which I have no problem with.

But the Irish were never considered lazy. Drunks, yes and correctly. Hard working navies who built the US? Yes, and correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

TheGooner wrote:
    That is true, but do you know any Roma gypsys personally that work hard at a legitimate 9-5?

Yes you can say that about the irish back then but it was NEVER our culture or tradition.

Ive met about 5 Roma with jobs, two of whom I knew (dodgy feckers). Ive yet to see a traveller in a workplace (Im sure there are some, but Ive personally interacted via work over the past few years with maybe 500 people in all, never met one nor been served by one anywhere). And in all honesty i would argue that heavy drinking is a part of our culture, in the same way a taste for Spanish fine wines or Italian cuisine is the defining feature of their cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ok, I'm not too familiar with the while immigration laws etc. regarding the new EU countries but am I right if i summarise like this:

All citizens of the new EU countries can go anywhere they want throughout the EU (including Ireland)
    These new citizens are NOT allowed work unless they have a Visa
    A Visa is available if they are able to contribute to our society?

That basically it? And am I right in saying so that the Roma are free to come here if they want, but only to work if they go about getting a Visa?

What the government should do is get all the Roma together, go through the whole visa stuff, anybody who is qualified or something to work here can stay, the rest of them can bog off home...

And one other thing, imagine if 30 odd homeless dudes moved into a roundabout (what a random place to move) would all the charities come along and plea on their behalf? Or would the Gardaí be called to remove them fairly sharpish? I suspect the second to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Why don't the knackers in Pavee Point house them in their own caravans and stop bítching and moaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dulpit wrote:
    A Visa is available if they are able to contribute to our society?

Visas are available for jobs where there's a skills shortage. Nursing would be the most prominent example I can think of.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Ive met about 5 Roma with jobs, two of whom I knew (dodgy feckers). Ive yet to see a traveller in a workplace (Im sure there are some, but Ive personally interacted via work over the past few years with maybe 500 people in all, never met one nor been served by one anywhere). And in all honesty i would argue that heavy drinking is a part of our culture, in the same way a taste for Spanish fine wines or Italian cuisine is the defining feature of their cultures.
    Worked with a traveller a few years back.
    He was on the job at 5am and worked until 7pm every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The Goverment should take a good long look at the streets of dublin and sort out the poor fellas living on the streets for years instead of giving in to these roma's.

They were aware they wouldn't be able to work if they came to Ireland so why bother moving here in the first place?
    The polish and the latvians and the chinese are a great bunch of people out working as much as they can paying taxes, but these romas i'm sorry but get rid of them send them back home and let them try there luck in some other country.

It's not as Pavee claims it is "humanitarian crisis" just look at the people in africa they have absolutley nothing.

As for the Visa yes its for people who's skills are low or not available in the country and not for Roma who's main source of money is selling baloons and roses and in general trying to rip people off.
    We have enough problems here without them adding to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

if they are EU citizens, make them get jobs
    if not, Deport them

Why? can you give them jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why? can you give them jobs?

I'll give them a job; Fúck off!! Pay ain't great but it's very rewarding.........for me.

Just there at lunch I had one of the Roma gypsies litteraly corner me and was swinging a balloon and those flashy things at me face. Obviously I gave her a stern look and promptly kept walking to which I heard her cursing at me, bitch! I've no time for those people and I find it disgusting that it's even considered a "humanitarian crisis" in Ballymun! What, did we fix our own Irish homeless problem overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I've said it before and will keep saying it, we have enough homegrown problems without importing them ! So to the bleeding hearts out there who prolly can't wait to shout racist at me I ask, how many Roma do you know that have a job ? How many are here ? How many have applied for a work visa ? How many have been granted one ? How many have sought asylum and how many have been granted it ? I only have anecdotal data to go on such as the obversations of those on the boards and my own experiences, so by all means provide me with the statistics that show that this particular group of people will add value to this society economically or culturally !

I've said it before and will keep saying it, we have enough homegrown problems without importing them ! So to the bleeding hearts out there who prolly can't wait to shout racist at me I ask, how many Roma do you know that have a job ? How many are here ? How many have applied for a work visa ? How many have been granted one ? How many have sought asylum and how many have been granted it ? I only have anecdotal data to go on such as the obversations of those on the boards and my own experiences, so by all means provide me with the statistics that show that this particular group of people will add value to this society economically or culturally !

Jesus Christ, Slo-Mo, chill out. You don't need to get all...................oh wait, you're actually 200% correct! My shítes do more for society than they do!

Duggy747 wrote:
    Jesus Christ, Slo-Mo, chill out. You don't need to get all...................oh wait, you're actually 200% correct! My shítes do more for society than they do!

I'm not wound up actually, but I would love to see someone coming up with some numbers to my questions, however I am more likely to get rabidly PC bull$hit responses, ah well they'll be entertaining too :rolleyes:

I'm not wound up actually, but I would love to see someone coming up with some numbers to my questions, however I am more likely to get rabidly PC bull$hit responses, ah well they'll be entertaining too :rolleyes:

I propose we head back to the BGRH bar, it could be quite some time!!

Duggy747 wrote:
    I propose we head back to the BGRH bar, it could be quite some time!!

Pint ?

Edit : Geeeoorrrggggeeee Hooook is on the radio talking about it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

Duggy747 wrote:
    I'll give them a job;

Thats not a proper job !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was just on the RTE News about this...

Solution is very simple.. send them home. The Irish as a nation are great for trying to save the world, and falling over ourselves in these modern times not to appear racist or un-PC, which in itself isn't a bad idea really.

However, when the system is being abused as it is and people like this who CHOSE to come here and CHOOSE to live on the side of a motorway can cause a national outcry, things have gone too far.

Charity begins at home folks.. as someone said above, we should be sorting out our own problems before taking on everyone elses.

http://rte.ie/news/2007/0719/roma.html

I wonder how this will play out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

http://rte.ie/news/2007/0719/roma.html

I wonder how this will play out !
    RTE wrote:
    Yesterday, campaigners for social justice said the Roma people were living in horrific conditions and that they feared an outbreak of disease at the camp.
    Why don't these campaigners take the families into their own homes if they are so ****ing concerned.

Terry wrote:
    Why don't these campaigners take the families into their own homes if they are so ****ing concerned.

I can absofcukinglutely guarantee you two things !

1. In answer to your comment, not a chance.

2. There is no way those kids wouldn't have been taken if the news services hadn't decided to run with this because they have nothing better to report on during the "silly season"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The news / media are just reporting one side of this story...

They have actually been in Ireland quite a long time, they haven't just arrived like its being portrayed...

They are also very well known to the Garda's, ask any garda who works in town, they know them by name... They are not spending their days out by the M50, they are traveling into town..

Why doesn't the media tell the real story, instead of getting Pavee Point on...

Also they've all been offered free flights home, but have rejected this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

The goverment has offered to fly them home but they refused. They are not intested in working and are from Romaina which is now an EU country so money money comes from the goverment to them. Charities are giving them food and driving them down to get them showers and the like.

In my mind make them work or send them home like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

In none of the news articles so far, have i read anything about them saying they just want to work and be productive members of society.

There a bunch of free loading scum who need to be forcibly removed and deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

jjbrien wrote:
    The goverment has offered to fly them home but they refused. They are not intested in working and are from Romaina which is now an EU country so money money comes from the goverment to them. Charities are giving them food and driving them down to get them showers and the like.

In my mind make them work or send them home like everyone else.

I keep hearing stuff like 'the government has offered to pay', but what they should be saying is 'The Government had decided to spend your money to look after these people'.

Its not the Governments money, its OUR money, we are the one's putting it in the kitty, how come we don't get a say on how its spent.

Who here actually wants their tax money spent on these people?

Who are the Government trying to please by spending OUR money on people who have not contributed a single cent to our Country?

Almost everyone on this thread is of a similar opinion regarding these people, so why aren't our voices being heard?

We don't want to house people? We want them sent home (or at the very least, we want them to work for a living like everyone else, pay taxes, rent or mortgages, and just make a general contribution to the state.)

Flashy things, roses, and balloons is a thriving economy that drives our country forwooord! We're being exploited and for the fear of having a backlash from hacks and liberal cúnts they're been taken care of, better than any other poor people in this country. It really does make me sick that people like this who know what they're doing are having a country go their way. Free housing and welfare so they can then get into the illegal trade of selling goods and exploiting people? Fúck off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Noone ever offered Del Boy food and accommodation :(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Romanians are restricted from working in Ireland unless they have a work visa or are self-employed, although they do have freedom of movement within the EU.
    I.e. if they don't like it they're free to find some way to sod off back home, they were inventive enough to find a way here afterall. Hopefully we get a nice hard winter this year to drive the moochers elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Delboy05

brilliant...they did'nt even come here from Romania. They arrived here from Fance Spain and Belgium where they've been living the past few years according to both the Gardai and the Romanian embassy. So much for Pavee Point and all the other bleeding hearts who said what they have on the M50 is much better than what they left behind in Romania.
    1 man amongst them recently wired his wife €1,400 thru Western Union.The wife lives with him here, but the roma use the Western Union as a bank - the money sits in the system for up to 2 years....wonder where that cash came from.
    Fúck them out of the country...and throw in all the other Roma with them that are here for the past few years including those that sought asylum or got in through the Irish born baby loophole.

Would love to see a study of those that managed to stay here in the past 10 years....how much they contribute v's the cost of social welfare paying for them in terms of childrens allowance, housing, dole etc.

Advertisement