Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Vick & Dogfighting

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was watching a small bit of ESPN's sports reporters show on NASN, they were saying that apparently Vick picked the worst state in the US to get caught for animal cruelty, worst penalties there...

So if he goes to jail for a year - 18 months, I would presume that his career is over for ever? Would anyone touch him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I can't see the NFL touching him ever again. Money talks and in this case, the NFL might as well kiss a lot of advertising money goodbye if they thought about letting Vick come back.

The only future I could possibly see for him is maybe the CFL or Arena Football. Maybe they'll let him play in whatever league they have in China (I'd imagine there is one as there's an nflchina.com), they have no qualms about chopping up dogs and eating them.

I'd imagine that the Arena Football would be a more likely option than the CFL, CFL & NFL are working partners & stuff, they'd most likely not... The AFL on the other hand probably would do anything for the publicity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was in Tampa last week, and hes been getting alot of stick in the media and on the street.

But here is another question:
    When Vick returns from jail he will be 30. He'll spend the end of whatever season he is released on a team's practice roster (ATL, im guessing). He'll never be able to get back the same type of mobility he has right now. Will Michael Vick be worthy of a starting place by the time he's out of jail? Seems to me VY just walked into the "league's most agile QB" Role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

heyjude wrote:
    Only a certain percentage of the $140m is guaranteed money though, so its not like he's going to get $140m irrespective of what happens. A large part of the $140m depends on him still being a Falcons player and if he was to be suspended for a year or if they cut him, then he would lose out. But in any case, he's certainly already received millions, so he should be comfortably well off no matter what.
    He stands to lose that money at this moment in time. All contract's with the NFL and it's franchises have conduct clauses

He is elligible for this season's roster bonus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I get all my info on this case from PFT, according to that site if Vick signs the plea and confesses to the crimes at Federal level, when he goes to trial in Virginia, its an open and shut case in which he could get up to 40 years behind bars. Maximum of 5 years per dog that was killed, or at least admitted to being killed by Peace and the other dude.

Oh and he will most likely owe the Falcons just over $28 million in unearned bonus money. I really can't see him ever playing in the NFL again, which has been my view from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Here in the States it looks dim for Vick. Americans LOVE their dogs and often consider them family(and often the best lookin one of the family). And very few NFL fans do not have one or more as a pet. He is losing in the courts as well as in the hearts of Americans. His career is over. His life as he knew it is over. All for a stupid, stupid, and entirely unnecessary and easily avoidable situation. Some people are born to fail. But fewer yet are born to win big and THEN fail bigger. Congratulations, Vick. You've made history.

Wes

Austin, Texas
    USA

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

82207ben.jpg

zaph wrote:
    82207ben.jpg

haha, brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070824/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_michael_vick;_ylt=AjHz1_1Y8zQW_k81PlIbEH6s0NUE

NFL suspends Michael Vick indefinitely:

The commissioner said Vick's admitted conduct was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible." Even if he didn't personally placed bets, Goodell said, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player.

Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.

The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his decision on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell may meet with Vick in the future, and Goodell said he would review the suspension after all the legal proceedings.

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter after meeting in New York with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay."

As I said previously, in America ya don't mess with peoples dogs, and in the NFL, you'd better not even have a nightmare about gambling.

Wez

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

anyone watching the Mick Vick project documentary series? started there last week. saw the first couple of episodes. I know hind sight is a great thing, but in fairness to the man, he seems a lot more level headed and down to earth than a lot of other 'stars' who have had toruble follow them around.

link to the second episode here, and you can go to the series homepage from there to watch trailers and the first episode.

http://www.bet.com/video/850515

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

bruschi wrote: »
    anyone watching the Mick Vick project documentary series? started there last week. saw the first couple of episodes. I know hind sight is a great thing, but in fairness to the man, he seems a lot more level headed and down to earth than a lot of other 'stars' who have had toruble follow them around.

link to the second episode here, and you can go to the series homepage from there to watch trailers and the first episode.

http://www.bet.com/video/850515

Did you really have to dig up a 2 1/2 year old thread to ask this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

D3PO wrote: »
    Did you really have to dig up a 2 1/2 year old thread to ask this :rolleyes:

Better than starting a new thread on it.

And now I have something interesting to watch.

Cheers bruschi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Better to drag this thread back up for it because otherwise if someone was just to come accross the thread with a video they may ask for a complete back story! Now it's just on the previous pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

ok np I guess i was just tired and cranky :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

not sure if I should start a new thread for this ...

anyway, looks like the Eagles are going to keep Vick for another year, or at least keep him for trade value. Been watching his documentary thing on BET, and in fairness to him, he comes across fairly level headed, and far from the idiot money crazed fool he was. Whether or not its all an act, but I cant think of a foot wrong he has put since he came out of prison. he's kept the head down, done everyhting asked of him, and has been in the media damn all times. He'd surely be worth a punt for someone like St Louis, Buffalo or Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There is a thread for trade specuation etc

To be fair to him I htink he has turned it around a lot! He just needed that kick up the the arse to realise what he had done and casued.

Atleast he's taking his second chance, not like someone such as Pacman1

Advertisement