Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Vick & Dogfighting

Options
  • 18-07-2007 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭

So i've been seeing this story all along on the american websites (espn etc.) about how Vick's house hosted dogfights etc.

He maintained that he wasn't involved, it was his cousin who was living in the house... Now he's been indicted, where'll that leave him with Goodell? Ban on the cards?

Also, it's the first time i've ever heard a story on the NFL make it onto the sports news on the radio, today fm just mentioned it...

Should he be banned? Or should the NFL wait till the court case is finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,190 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10259619

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said.

"The activities alleged are cruel, degrading and illegal. Michael Vick's guilt has not yet been proven, and we believe that all concerned should allow the legal process to determine the facts."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

If found guilty he'll go to jail for 6 years. But I have a feeling he's going to get away with it. Some of the reports of the cruelty is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

If he is guilty, Falcons are screwed even worse and Vick's career is over.

If not, I don't think anyone should lay a finger on him and instead, prosecute the damn people in his house.( Blabla "he should have known what was going on", eat me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Convicted or not he has alot of explaining to weasel his way out of an NFL ban. Their contracts do clearly state that they are to be no way involved or be associated to illegal substances and goings on so hence all the bans being thrown around.

Serves him right you honestly telling me he didnt know it was going on yeah right Vick pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Vick will eventually get a six-game ban I'm thinking and if he starts winning the Falcons won't care. Just look at Ray Lewis. He may have been cleared but there was so much circumstantial evidence (which also seems to be the case with Vick) you had to ask questions. End result? He's a perennial Pro Bowler and one of highest paid players in NFL.

• Advertisement

Different commisioneer

PacMan Jones cleared of charges but gets season ban. Talk Johnson gets 8 game ban 9and sacked by Bears)

NFL is definitely trying to clean up its act

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He should be banned, especially following the precedent laid down by the commissioner with Pacman & Tank... What really should happen is that he would be reprimanded by his employers (the Falcons) but that won't happen in a million years... So I reckon that unless these charges disappear fairly sharpish Vick may spend at least some of the season on the sidelines... That would really hurt the Falcons, Shaub's gone so who do they have at backup now?

Dodge wrote:
    Different commisioneer

PacMan Jones cleared of charges but gets season ban. Talk Johnson gets 8 game ban 9and sacked by Bears)

NFL is definitely trying to clean up its act

Pacman cleared? Since when. Been questioned more than 10 times by police and not cleared of all charges. Tank got a ban, then went and got arrested again and then got cut. Neither is a QB, neither is a star earner for his team. Sorry but dollar signs count in NFL. Very few players don't get another gig. Somebody will pick Tank up and after a couple of years he'll be given a big contract. Pacman slightly different because he's probably gonna be sent down in the regular season.

Take your point re Vick being a star but Pacman hasn't been convicted of anything and still got the ban. Thats the comparison I was trying to make (my own fault for syaing he was cleared I know)...

Commish might be looking to make an example of Vick to show that stars don't get different treatment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Vicks gonna get a year ban aswell. If convicted say bye bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Vick will be convicted and he will be banned from the NFL, my guess here is for life.

Just by reading profootballtalk alone, which is run by a lawyer, he has been explaining that even on conspiracy charges alone Vick could face anywhere from 8 to 40 years in prison. Liftime ban me thinks.

Having read up a bit more on i agree Mustangs, i cant him see ever playing in the NFL again even if he is found not guilty.

He'll probaly plead to avoid serious time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Wasn't there some mention of charges concerning illegal gambling as well ? If so, then he truly is finished, for while the NFL may conveniently turn a blind eye to the multi billion gambling industry surrounding NFL games, actually having a high profile player involved in illegal gambling could be deemed even more serious by the league, than his alleged involvement in dog fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

according to the sports illustrated guy on newstalk last night he can only get 2 years for the dogfighting if convicted as his house was raided a week before the tougher laws were brought in which would of meant up to 6 years........dont know how true it is but thats what he said

heyjude wrote:
    Wasn't there some mention of charges concerning illegal gambling as well ? If so, then he truly is finished, for while the NFL may conveniently turn a blind eye to the multi billion gambling industry surrounding NFL games, actually having a high profile player involved in illegal gambling could be deemed even more serious by the league, than his alleged involvement in dog fighting.

Its will be illegal gambling related to betting the dogs, so i dont think that will make any difference.

Anyway, the nfl wont suspend Vick until the trial is over.

Wow, well done roger, congratulations on making you look like a complete tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The amount of charges being thrown onto Vick here really is amazing.

As PFT put it, if he was involved in illegal gambling (and won through it) then it should have been declared to the IRS so add tax evasion to the list as well!

The conspiracy charges can bring a maximum of 5 years in prison, if convicted he could get a lot lot more! Not only are these federal charges but Surrey County will also be charging him at their level as well.

Bye bye Ron Mexico

Lads this is the States, money talks. My prediction: If it's looking bad for him He'll plea bargain to do three months in the offseason, reduced to six weeks for good behaviour. He'll also agree to pay a $1 million fine and donate a further $1 million to animal shelters. Goodall will give him a 10-week ban reduced to six for good behaviour.

By the way the NFL disciplinary code has been changed so only those convicted will face bans. That was done in last couple of weeks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2943276&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Look's like Vick might be urged into taking a voluntary leave of absence. According to the ESPN article, officials from the NFL, the players association & the Falcons are urging him to do it to "concentrate on the legal battle". It says that something will have to be done by next Thursday when training camp opens.

Will he? Apparently the Falcons will pay him the $6million salary, even if he sits out entire season... Must suck for the Falcons though, he's basically their whole offence, right? End of their season already?

Oh and in relation to jail time the article clearly states (quote):
    If convicted on all counts, Vick could face a prison sentence of six years.

But i guess because he's rich and famous he'll get off with a fine, the falcons will probably dump him but somebody will definitely pick him up again, unless the NFL bans him, in which case he could head north the the CFL... (they seem to take anybody - Ricky Williams for instance)

Leave Ricky alone! He's a new age guy, no dogfighting for him, just a few smokes:)

jdivision wrote:
    Lads this is the States, money talks. My prediction: If it's looking bad for him He'll plea bargain to do three months in the offseason, reduced to six weeks for good behaviour. He'll also agree to pay a $1 million fine and donate a further $1 million to animal shelters. Goodall will give him a 10-week ban reduced to six for good behaviour.

By the way the NFL disciplinary code has been changed so only those convicted will face bans. That was done in last couple of weeks.

No advertiser in the world will touch him if he's convicted, even now he wont be considered.

Why waste your money using the dog killer to promote you product when you can get Vince young? Reggie bush is another golden boy aswell.

• Advertisement

Why waste your money using the dog killer to promote you product when you can get Vince young? Reggie bush is another golden boy aswell.

Or Peyton Manning? Seems like he's never done anything wrong ever in his life...

No advertiser in the world will touch him if he's convicted, even now he wont be considered.

To a certain extent so what. He's currently on a ten-year $140 million contract before endorsements come into it. He doesn't have to worry about it.

jdivision wrote:
    To a certain extent so what. He's currently on a ten-year $140 million contract before endorsements come into it. He doesn't have to worry about it.

i was refering to your money talks approach. NFL wont not ban based on a financial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

jdivision wrote:

Only a certain percentage of the $140m is guaranteed money though, so its not like he's going to get $140m irrespective of what happens. A large part of the $140m depends on him still being a Falcons player and if he was to be suspended for a year or if they cut him, then he would lose out. But in any case, he's certainly already received millions, so he should be comfortably well off no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

dulpit wrote:
    Or Peyton Manning? Seems like he's never done anything wrong ever in his life...
    Don't be so sure. He reminds me of Ed Norton's character in Primal Fear. You just never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Kenny 5 wrote:

That'll only make things worse if (when) he's found guilty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 onionhead1112

The news media here in the US had kind of dropped the issue but the animal rights groups are trying to keep it in the news. It looks really bad and if hes guilty( I think he is) if he is guilty he deserves JAIL and removed from the game not because he is a role model but because there is a certain moral thing and line you do not cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Vicks should be banned for at least a year and charged.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

Vick has now pleaded guilty and is looking certain to do a stint in jail.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10307169/1

Advertisement