Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New amp and speakers

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭conax

Slaphead07 wrote:
    They're not views and they're not theories, I tried the halved squash balls not expecting it to make any difference at all to an amp or DAC but it did. Simple as that. I really don't care if people believe it or not.... I just threw it out there as a cheap tweak.

not questioning you at all, open to all suggestions. Now, in what way did it improve the quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I can see why you might believe isolating a component from it's surrounding vibration might improve things. The effect is called micro-phony (sp?). With turntables the effect is very obvious - you only need tap the turntables enclosure or harm to hear a very pronounced effect from the speakers, we can take that as a given I suppose. But as for larger less sensitive components like amplifiers and DACs . . . I remain to be convinced.

Microphones work by converting vibrations in the air around it into electrical voltages which are then amplified and reproduced through some form of output transducer. In the case of coil type mics - the diaphragm moves a coil within a magnetic field to produce an output in sympathy with the vibrations. The similarity can be seen with transformers or chokes used in amplifier and power supply design. Vibrations induce voltages in a coils windings or might cause the plates of a capacitor to vary (like with capacitor or condenser type mics) in some way so as to realise a voltage variation across its terminals.

But these voltages would me miniscule in comparison to the other signals traveling through the components and in the case of a mains transformer - the largest coil or wound device in the system - the following circuitry is designed specifically to filter out these low frequency variations and also high frequency transients.

In short there is sound theory behind the practice of isolating a device components from vibration I just don't believe there are many people who could hear the effects as prominently as they claim to.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

ZENER wrote:
    In short there is sound theory behind the practice of isolating a device components from vibration I just don't believe there are many people who could hear the effects as prominently as they claim to.

ZEN

Well it's impossible to know how many people genuinely hear any real improvements but I know within my own circle of HiFi geeks scepticism runs very high. As I've said before, there's no scientific reason as to why an amp or DAC would benefit from isolation, unless you place a lot of importance on build quality (an often significant factor IMHO) and isolation from other components, but I have heard a difference. I cannot and don't attempt to explain why... I'm not an engineer just a music and hifi enthusiast.

Conax, I've said several times already that isolation improves the clarity, provides more detail and focuses the imagery and soundstage. Essentially it provides a better all around reproduction of the recording. This will have little effect on basic Hifi as basic hifi is usually incapable of providing any kind of accurate imagry... they do just data retrieval

Advertisement