Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddies's after WC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I was just wondering what other people out there think would be a successful world cup for us?
    I would say a failure would be failing to get out of the pool stage... But anything after that, to say if we don't get to the semi is failure depends on the context really...

I mean if we meet NZ in the quarter and lose, I wouldn't call it any more of a failure than beating Scotland in the quarter, and losing the semi... you know what I mean, anything can happen in the KO, and if you are going to say not reaching the semi is a failure then I would say, not winning the WC is a failure.

Indeed if we get to the semi, I will be pissed off if we lose it... And if we get to the final, I'll be pissed off if we lose that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

komodosp wrote:
    I would say a failure would be failing to get out of the pool stage... But anything after that, to say if we don't get to the semi is failure depends on the context really...

I mean if we meet NZ in the quarter and lose, I wouldn't call it any more of a failure than beating Scotland in the quarter, and losing the semi... you know what I mean, anything can happen in the KO, and if you are going to say not reaching the semi is a failure then I would say, not winning the WC is a failure.

Indeed if we get to the semi, I will be pissed off if we lose it... And if we get to the final, I'll be pissed off if we lose that...

thats fair enough, but i think with a fully fit team, we should beat NZ on a neutral ground if eddie picks right team. post tri nations, nz look VERY beatable to me. We should cut them up in the middle as their centres are suspect.
    Dan carter not lookin too hot at the moment either.

neil best has to start.

I enjoy men.

^^

Sangre posting under my username thinking he's VERY FUNNY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭chicoben

We're not gonna lose to France...cause im gonna be at that game and im not going all the way over there to lose. I doubt he'll play the first team for the lesser matches, he'll prob play half and half. whats the chances of the argies putting a suprise defeat over france and us and the argies going through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

chicoben wrote:
    whats the chances of the argies putting a suprise defeat over france and us and the argies going through?

Slim to none.

And I must say the plan of laying an ambush for the AB's sounds like a good 'un... Knocking the AB's out of the World Cup would be a ridiculously amazing achievment. And a very doable one at that if the right steps are taken. Interesssting...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

karmabass wrote:
    And I must say the plan of laying an ambush for the AB's sounds like a good 'un... Knocking the AB's out of the World Cup would be a ridiculously amazing achievment. And a very doable one at that if the right steps are taken. Interesssting...

True we all have seen it is doable and this Irish team can do it with the talent we have as long as we play smart rugby and decided to just hand the AB possession, the only doubt's i have that if you look back to previous World Cups teams that have pulled out victories like that such as France in 1999 for example tend to run out of steam afterwards, they play their best rugby to date and then just crumble the next round and its happens loads through the years.

As for Pumas beating France bah not likely, opening match against the host in a stadium filled with French supporters the odds are stacked against them though they could do as they do have the players.

I worry playing against the Pumas to be honest since we have a very VERY big rivalry with them since Lens to the present day and they wont want to go out of the RWC at the hands of us....again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I do remember that behind the scenes show that the irish players looked pissed when they saw the french try. Even if a weakened side went out I reckon they'd be very much up for the game.

If they could do it or not is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Holding back against France, after Croke Park?

It's more likely we'll have SCW as coach for the next 6N (my pick).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This thread is ridiculous. Do people actually think it will be easier to beat NZ than France? Thats what we are talking about. You may say we rarely beat France away but we've never beaten NZ. Remember we still have to beat the Argies to even get to a quarter final with NZ, they are a good side and I'd never give them a chance like putting out a weakened team. An Argie game is not one you come out of without bruises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

karmabass wrote:
    Slim to none.

There is a good chance Argentina will beat France. Ireland have no chance of beating New Zeland. I believe an injury will rule out at least one key player before the showdown with New Zealand. I will be pleasantly suprised if the team is injury-free after the Argentina and France matches
    Even with a full-strength team i doubt Ireland could beat New Zealand to be honest.

Advertisement