Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luck and Tara

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

fianna fáil always come through...will probably be good luck

....or bad luck for the greens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Winters wrote:
    You cant put a shovel anywhere in that area without finding something of "importance".

A good reason why it shouldn't be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

This should be in the Meath forum tbh.

Should be in the paranormal forum with all the other looney bin posts.
    Build the feckin road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Oriel wrote:
    They should be shot. It's our history.
    It's like England knocking down the Windors Tower to build a Playpark for children.
    Anyway, it'll never happen.
    Only that this part of our history is a pile of muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

ridiculous and stupid post
    erm... hello
    next door......remember stonehenge. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and that only off the top of my head, looking at the unesco website their are hundreds more sites with modern developments on these protected sites.

not a very well thought post, this post seems to be helping those in favour of building the road.

Thats a nice verbal assault.. i dont think its a ridiculous suggestion or are the reasons ridiculous, that however is your choice..

i think the whole idea of a heritage site is to reduce new developments on the afformentioned site which would destroy or damage it.. which is exactly what this road would do ..thats my point.. capische?

plus i can only speak for ireland, spain, france and england from the unesco site and i cant see anyone driving a motorway through the centre of cordoba or through the palace of versailles, can you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Of course, once the feckin road is built, it will soon be another traffic jam. It won't have any actual value. Its only value is in the anticipation - how wonderful life is going to be when we have this fabulous magical road to carry us from one place to another.

Yes, I agree that luck only affects you if you believe in it. But it's quite unusual not to believe in luck, especially if you're in any risk profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

1. Tara does not need to be dug up for the M3
    2. Tara is not an ecology issue, it's a heritage issue
    3. Why are people who are anxious to preserve the country's heritage Nazis? Apart from any philosophical issues, heritage sites are a tourism resource and therefore an economic asset.

Back OT: I suspect that teflon has some magical properties which ward off the sidhe ... it certainly seems to have warded off everything else!

can i ask a few questions
    1. How many people in the country will benefit from the new road? a lot. they will have less time commuting, and more time with their families
    2. how many items have been found since they started building the road? would they ever have been found unless the road was built? i doubt it very much
    3. how many tourists actualy go to Tara, seeing that newgrange is only a few miles away.

This road is going to be built, weather people like it or not, and most people do like it. I dont see why people are blaming FF for all this, the people that dont want the road are the minority. Dont we live in a democracy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

adonis wrote:
    this should be a unesco heritage site...this would never happen in another country where heritage is important
    when challenged that this is going on in other countries around the world you state.
    adonis wrote:
    i can only speak for ireland, spain, france and england from the unesco site and i cant see anyone driving a motorway through the centre of cordoba or through the palace of versailles, can you?
    ok so
    you can only speak for Ireland, Spain, France and England, good then you might be able to explain what happened at Stonehenge which IS a UNESCO heritage site... identical issues with Tara only Stonehenge has two main roads (A344 and A303) in closer proximity that the proposed Tara road...

so that is why i said your comment was a ridiculous and stupid post. no thought or research done before you make wild and untrue assumption on UNESCO sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I never heard of a Windors tower, they have a Windors Castle or a London Tower, so i take it you meant the castle. /QUOTE]

1. Windsor Castle
    2. Tower of London
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Tara didn't bring much luck to the four hippies in Cloverhill at the minute!

• Advertisement

kc66 wrote:
    Tara didn't bring much luck to the four hippies in Cloverhill at the minute!

some hippy's my friend...... not with €100 million of coke.
    they are far from hippies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I'm waiting for the first stories to start coming out about spooky work accidents/road accidents on the Tara road. By the way, where are the guys from who are building the road?

when challenged that this is going on in other countries around the world you state.

ok so
    you can only speak for Ireland, Spain, France and England, good then you might be able to explain what happened at Stonehenge which IS a UNESCO heritage site... identical issues with Tara only Stonehenge has two main roads (A344 and A303) in closer proximity that the proposed Tara road...

so that is why i said your comment was a ridiculous and stupid post. no thought or research done before you make wild and untrue assumption on UNESCO sites.

my understanding was that hey had excavated things in the skryne valley which would have qualified it for unesco status, not the hill of tara itself..thats not what is in question my aggressive friend..
    and maybe they dont care about heritage in england, should we model ourselves on them?? what about all the other places you neglected to challenge me on?
    one exception normally proves a rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

1. How many people in the country will benefit from the new road? a lot. they will have less time commuting, and more time with their families

False. Not only will the Motorway arrive to the already congested roundabout at Blanchardstown, it will also be double tolled, a reality that is hardly mentioned.
    2. how many items have been found since they started building the road? would they ever have been found unless the road was built? i doubt it very much
    Really? Wow. But how does that justify the fact that they are going to be concreted over ? :confused:
    3. how many tourists actualy go to Tara, seeing that newgrange is only a few miles away.
    So you think people are campaigning to Save Tara so that a few tourists can benefit?
    Taras history is Ireland's story, that is why it should be protected, that includes the Gabhra/Skyrne Valley.
    This road is going to be built, weather people like it or not, and most people do like it. I dont see why people are blaming FF for all this, the people that dont want the road are the minority. Dont we live in a democracy?
    Yes sir. And in a democracy people can oppose the decision also.
    You cannot impose this ''The road will be built and thats that''
    Wheres the democracy in that?

I would also like to point out that there is a perfect Railroad route to Dublin from Navan and further, why cannot it be upgraded and used?
    www.meathontrack.org

adonis wrote:
    this would never happen in another country where heritage is important
    so i pointed that i didn't think this was untrue, and gave an example of how your post was untrue,
    and then
    adonis wrote:
    i can only speak for ireland, spain, france and england from the unesco site and i cant see anyone driving a motorway through .....
    so again i pointed out the example of two motorways around Stonehenge was in England
    so then
    adonis wrote:
    and maybe they dont care about heritage in England, should we model ourselves on them
    make up you mind....

although don't bother, I'm not engaging with you anymore...seems a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The M3 is further from Tara than the current N3. Hippies will protest at anything.

The N18 Dualcarriageway didn't seem to harm Bunratty Castle either, and look how close that is!

There are no motorways next or near Stonehenge by the way, as stated in the above post. Unless they have upgraded two single carriageway A roads in the last 5 days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think the name 'Love Tara' for this march on Saturday was a poor choice tbh......connotations with another group there. Anyway I hope the road is built ASAP and the eco nazis are put back in their place:p

is that right testicle? i didnt know about stonhenge so i couldnt really say... the angry guy just stuck on that point to discredit my whole argument..

so \m/_(>_<)_\m/ in your face! (if its true about there not being a road there)

so i pointed that i didn't think this was untrue, and gave an example of how your post was untrue,
    and then

i can only speak for ireland, spain, france and england from the unesco site and i cant see anyone driving a motorway through .....

so again i pointed out the example of two motorways around Stonehenge was in England
    so then

i think this is the point i am trying to make

can you see the difference now little boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

luckat wrote:
    Mind you, from a psychological, as opposed to a superstitious, point of view, what FF are doing is hubris, in its classical sense of an arrogance that challenges the gods.

They, like you and me, will have heard and ingested the stories of terror for those who disturb a rath. For them to plough their greedy road through the ur-rath of Tara, the traditional entrance to the Sidhe, surely shows an unconscious urge for self-destruction. (Not to mention their new plan to turn the GPO into a shopping mall.)

It's as if they're holding their hands out saying "We are immortal, we are indestructable, we can ruin and deface everything of cultural and historical meaning in this country, and no one can touch it."

Typical of the kind of traditional stories I'm talking about - and I doubt any Irish person has ever grown up without hearing at least one of these - was one told by my geography teacher.

He was from some country area - Kerry, I think it may have been - and occasionally we could distract him from telling us about the Ruhr industries and the level-crossing signs on maps and lure him into other areas.

So this one day he started telling us about a local farmer where he grew up. A modern and progressive farmer, this man had spent his whole childhood annoyed at the superstition of his father, uncles and grandfathers.

He had always promised, to their dismay, that when he got the farm, he'd knock the hawthorn tree, the entrance to a long-defunct rath, in the centre of the farm's best field.

Every time he ploughed or harrowed the field he had to guide his two-horse team around it, losing time as well as losing the use of the piece of land it was on.

When his day came he called all the workmen who normally helped him on the farm, and told them he wanted it knocked. They absolutely refused - ask them anything else, but they weren't going near the rath.

He asked around the area and wider afield, but no one would help with it. Finally he thought of going to the North and hiring a bunch of black Protestants, who would certainly have no time for superstition.

He hired a group of men, who came back with him, but when they saw the hawthorn they turned on their heel and walked away and went back to the North - they wouldn't touch it either.

So he harnessed up the two horses, beautiful big calm Clydesdales, and he dug the tree out and got them to drag it away, and he levelled his field.

(Here, the geography teacher paused, and we all thought we were going to get a homily on the evils of superstition and the importance of modern farming methods, which would be his usual area of discourse.)

Three years later, he said, the farmer was harrowing the field, and on the exact spot where the hawthorn tree and its rath had been, the harrow stuck.

He went forward to loosen it, and as he knelt there something spooked the horses and they bolted, dragging the harrow free, but running it over him so that he was cut to bits, his blood soaking the place where the rath had been.

wow fair play to you i didnt even have to read that to realise its a big load of crap

luckat wrote:
    Of course, once the feckin road is built, it will soon be another traffic jam. It won't have any actual value. Its only value is in the anticipation - how wonderful life is going to be when we have this fabulous magical road to carry us from one place to another.

Yes, I agree that luck only affects you if you believe in it. But it's quite unusual not to believe in luck, especially if you're in any risk profession.

one can be lucky and unlucky but there are no outside factors that will affect it
    Taras history is Ireland's story, that is why it should be protected, that includes the Gabhra/Skyrne Valley.

so anything that is found should be brought to the national gallery anything that cannot be moved(ie a mound of dirt) should be destroyed in the national interest..........the only thing NOT building this road will do is cost the country money.

Yes sir. And in a democracy people can oppose the decision also.
    You cannot impose this ''The road will be built and thats that''
    Wheres the democracy in that?

one person one vote is what democracy is about. it is not about the elected government(i didnt vote for them by the way) making a decision in the countries best interest and then a tiny minority of people objecting to that decision and stopping it progressing costing the country millions

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

testicle wrote:
    Hippies will protest at anything.
    darkman2 wrote:
    the eco nazis are put back in their place:p
    Ah yes ... because everyone who disagrees with routing the motorway through the Tara / Skryne valley are hippie Nazis ... or should that be Nazi hippies? (and "eco" ... wtf?)

I find that particular amalgam difficult to visualise, myself ... perhaps some of the Boards 'shoppage experts would be able to help out?

But then, the purpose of labelling in any debate isn't really about accuracy, it's about denigrating the arguments of those who disagree with you by associating them with some kind of negative stereotype. Mind you, it's usually more effective if it's even semi-believable ...

adonis wrote:
    so \m/_(>_<)_\m/ in your face! (if its true about there not being a road there)

that is a bit of a childish post,

here is a little picture of Stonehenge, with the A303.

and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There was something on the news a few days back.
    They interviewed a historian and a hippy at stonehenge.
    You could see and hear the cars passing by.

that is a bit of a childish post,

here is a little picture of Stonehenge, with the A303.

in your face again buddy! thats not a motorway....its a road..single lane..

and another.

looks to me that more people will see stonehenge because of that road then ever would without it

I flew all around the Tara area years ago in a small plane - I wasn't actually looking for Tara, was there for other reasons.

The pilot brought me over all the ancient area, and showed me how, from the air, you can see the marks where land has been significantly disturbed, even if it was done thousands of years ago. It was extraordinary - you could see the double-rings of duns and the walls of ancient settlements in the different colours of the fields.

One of the problems with Tara, it seems to me, is that because we've let the language go, we've lost the cultural references that went with it. So Tara and the Fiannaíocht, which were integral to language and to philosophy when people daily said things like "Oisín i ndhiadh na Féinne", for instance, are now missing.

To the culturally deprived children of the new Ireland, it's just a jumble of rocks, and a road to drive their cars over is more important.

• Advertisement

adonis wrote:
    in your face again buddy! thats not a motorway....its a road..single lane..

oh my god, is this the level of posting from you....
    ah jezzzzzzzzzus the issue is still the same....unbelievable.....
    I'm done with replying to these childish 3yo posts.

Advertisement