Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luck and Tara

Options
  • 12-07-2007 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

We all know that digging up a rath or even a fairy thorn is a good way of nuking your luck.

Fianna Fail is driving a road through Tara. Will this affect their luck?

Will driving a road through Tara be bad luck for those who do it? 53 votes

They're ****ed
    0% 0 votes
    Ah sure they'll be grand
    60% 32 votes
    Are you in earnest? Holy God tonight
    39% 21 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

luckat wrote:
    We all know that digging up a rath or even a fairy thorn is a good way of nuking your luck.

No because Tara needs to be dug up for the M3. Tough on the Eco Nazis but thats life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Considering our 800 year occupation/famine/emigration rate/weather/Cromwell/penal laws/church control 1921 to mid 70s, alcoholism/having western Europes worst economy between the dawn of time and about 10 years ago, the rest of the celtic fairy mounds must have been dug up by some goverment thousands of years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

They should be shot. It's our history.
    It's like England knocking down the Windors Tower to build a Playpark for children.
    Anyway, it'll never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Politicians don't worry about things like luck. They just fear that the supply of cash filled brown envelops will run out. If building a road through Tara ensures a healthy supply of them then Tara is f*cked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This should be in the Meath forum tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

darkman2 wrote:
    No because Tara needs to be dug up for the M3. Tough on the Eco Nazis but thats life.
    1. Tara does not need to be dug up for the M3
    2. Tara is not an ecology issue, it's a heritage issue
    3. Why are people who are anxious to preserve the country's heritage Nazis? Apart from any philosophical issues, heritage sites are a tourism resource and therefore an economic asset.

Back OT: I suspect that teflon has some magical properties which ward off the sidhe ... it certainly seems to have warded off everything else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

no such thing as bad luck tbh, I don't like this poll, someone start another in the line of superman Vs the hulk, they are a lot more fun

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

None of this stuff would have been found if it wasn't for the new road. Asphalt it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Yes. Destroy the new discovery at Irelands most important Heritage site.

5starpool wrote:
    None of this stuff would have been found if it wasn't for the new road. Asphalt it all.
    No, none of this stuff would have been found YET if it wasn't for the new road.

And what is the logical connection between your two sentences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

no atari jaguar option.

I'm opting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Maybe. At best.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

This should be in the Meath forum tbh.
    If you want to be picky. Then what about the Commuting & Transport Infrastructure forum.

I'm just waiting for biko to stick his head in and look for a copy of thread to be sent to each of the Dublin forums.

OT:
    I don't know the exact route of this proposed road, is it going near/through part of the site?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, no such thing as luck changing due to your actions. Unless you make a luck formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Rabies wrote:

OT:
    I don't know the exact route of this proposed road, is it going near/through part of the site?

The M3 will be further away from the hill of Tara than the current N3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For fúck sake people dont be falling for that save Tara shíte the road is not going through the heritage site at Tara in fact it is going the far side of the current main road.

Yes the road is going through other heritage in the Skyre Valley and with the find at lismullen should be re reouted along the second more sane route but no one is digging up fecking Tara.

Yes the Eu commion is lodging complains and really the whole thing is a complete fiasco but get your facts right.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/ireland/mhkfidojgbey/
    EU issues final M3 motorway warning
    11/07/2007 - 16:59:34

The European Commission has issued a final warning to the National Roads Authority concerning the building of the M3 motorway in Meath.

The letter dated in June says that the on-going demolition of the Lismullen monument near the Hill of Tara is illegal, and that Ireland will face legal action this autumn.

The roads authority is continuing to record and destroy monuments in the path of the road, mostly recently at a site at Baronstown which was demolished in the middle of the night last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bad luck for building a road? Are we living in a fairytale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

luckat wrote:

Hello!!!
    The road is not going through Tara. Or even near it. Pay attention there, at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Oriel wrote:
    They should be shot. It's our history.
    It's like England knocking down the Windors Tower to build a Playpark for children.
    Anyway, it'll never happen.

Yep, its exactly like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

yeah the faeries will curse bertie so his teflon shell will fall off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

luckat wrote:

Only if you believe in a load of superstitious ****.

Thaedydal wrote:
    For fúck sake people dont be falling for that save Tara shíte the road is not going through the heritage site at Tara in fact it is going the far side of the current main road.

Yes the road is going through other heritage in the Skyre Valley and with the find at lismullen should be re reouted along the second more sane route but no one is digging up fecking Tara.
    Point taken, Thaed, you're absolutely correct, the actual Tara site is not being dug up.

It is common practice however to refer to complex and inter-related heritage landscapes by the dominant or primary monument ... in this case, even archaeologists will commonly refer to the "Tara complex" or "Tara landscape" as a linguistic short-cut to refer to the area, and a number of sites of which Tara itself is the focal point.

"The Tara / Skryne valley" is probably more accurate, admittedly ... though someone will probably come along and explain to us why that too is problematic. :D
    Thaedydal wrote:
    ... the road ... should be re reouted along the second more sane route ...

Yes the Eu commion is lodging complains and really the whole thing is a complete fiasco ...
    I completely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dont dig up muck its been there for years.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Heh, I can't believe how indignant people are getting! They must really, secretly believe in it all or they wouldn't be so angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Mind you, from a psychological, as opposed to a superstitious, point of view, what FF are doing is hubris, in its classical sense of an arrogance that challenges the gods.

They, like you and me, will have heard and ingested the stories of terror for those who disturb a rath. For them to plough their greedy road through the ur-rath of Tara, the traditional entrance to the Sidhe, surely shows an unconscious urge for self-destruction. (Not to mention their new plan to turn the GPO into a shopping mall.)

It's as if they're holding their hands out saying "We are immortal, we are indestructable, we can ruin and deface everything of cultural and historical meaning in this country, and no one can touch it."

Typical of the kind of traditional stories I'm talking about - and I doubt any Irish person has ever grown up without hearing at least one of these - was one told by my geography teacher.

He was from some country area - Kerry, I think it may have been - and occasionally we could distract him from telling us about the Ruhr industries and the level-crossing signs on maps and lure him into other areas.

So this one day he started telling us about a local farmer where he grew up. A modern and progressive farmer, this man had spent his whole childhood annoyed at the superstition of his father, uncles and grandfathers.

He had always promised, to their dismay, that when he got the farm, he'd knock the hawthorn tree, the entrance to a long-defunct rath, in the centre of the farm's best field.

Every time he ploughed or harrowed the field he had to guide his two-horse team around it, losing time as well as losing the use of the piece of land it was on.

When his day came he called all the workmen who normally helped him on the farm, and told them he wanted it knocked. They absolutely refused - ask them anything else, but they weren't going near the rath.

He asked around the area and wider afield, but no one would help with it. Finally he thought of going to the North and hiring a bunch of black Protestants, who would certainly have no time for superstition.

He hired a group of men, who came back with him, but when they saw the hawthorn they turned on their heel and walked away and went back to the North - they wouldn't touch it either.

So he harnessed up the two horses, beautiful big calm Clydesdales, and he dug the tree out and got them to drag it away, and he levelled his field.

(Here, the geography teacher paused, and we all thought we were going to get a homily on the evils of superstition and the importance of modern farming methods, which would be his usual area of discourse.)

Three years later, he said, the farmer was harrowing the field, and on the exact spot where the hawthorn tree and its rath had been, the harrow stuck.

He went forward to loosen it, and as he knelt there something spooked the horses and they bolted, dragging the harrow free, but running it over him so that he was cut to bits, his blood soaking the place where the rath had been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Oriel wrote:

i never heard of a Windors tower, they have a Windors Castle or a London Tower, so i take it you meant the castle.

i know a couple of boys from the north who would only be delighted to give them a hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It will be bad luck for people who believe it will be bad luck.
    They will be driving along the road and get into a panic about the supposed bad luck and cause an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

its not a good idea as apparently this should be a unesco heritage site...this would never happen in another country where heritage is important

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Put the road down asap.

The new motorway is further away from the Hill of Tara then the existing one. You cant put a shovel anywhere in that area without finding something of "importance". Build the fecking road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

adonis wrote:
    its not a good idea as apparently this should be a unesco heritage site...this would never happen in another country where heritage is important

ridiculous and stupid post
    erm... hello
    next door......remember stonehenge. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and that only off the top of my head, looking at the unesco website their are hundreds more sites with modern developments on these protected sites.

not a very well thought post, this post seems to be helping those in favour of building the road.

Advertisement