Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotten Habits in Public!

Options
  • 11-07-2007 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Okay. I am at the end of my tether. Yesterday evening and again this morning I had to stand in very close proximity to no less than 3 people picking their noses for a considerable amount of time! This is revolting!

Do these people think they cannot be seen?
    Do they care?
    If they knew I could see would they do it anyway?

Other habits I have been subjected to in the recent past on the street/bus/train include people picking dry skin and eating it, picking their ears and eating it and picking food out of their teeth, checking to see what it is, examining it for some time and then eating it.

Is evolution taking a step backwards? Will we all resemble apes in the not so distant future? From what I’ve seen lately some folk are well on the way….

Giving a dirty look isn't an option as it involves watching the vile act until they notice your look of disgust!

Does this annoy anyone else as much??? How can we get them to stop this repulsive behaviour??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just pick up the biggest, heaviest thing that you can find/lift and throw it at them. Mindless violence wins all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

People scratchin the arseholes really is the most disgusting thing i have seen. i dont mean a quick scratch the people who reall get in there and give it a good go. its horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How can we get them to stop this repulsive behaviour??
    Everybody does something that disgusts somebody else. The only cure is mass genocide, or seclusion.

Or, stop worrying about it, look the other way, and be happier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hmnnnn where are you seeing all these revolting people? I commuted for years and years and never saw so much. Occasionally you might get some dirty fecker, but certainly nothing on the scale that you've experianced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

well we did evolve from apes

• Advertisement

People scratchin the arseholes really is the most disgusting thing i have seen. i dont mean a quick scratch the people who reall get in there and give it a good go. its horrible.

But sometimes it has to be done..... oowww the itch. I know I'd rather try and scratch a really really bad itch than walk on and try to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Id love to hear your solution to needing a real bad scratch in public, or how to go about adjusting your pants when you get a ferocious horn on the bus.

Honestly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

eo980 wrote:
    But sometimes it has to be done..... oowww the itch. I know I'd rather try and scratch a really really bad itch than walk on and try to ignore it.

Come on nobody else wants to see you do that. Find a bit of privacy and do whatever the hell you want then.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

Yep, I only posted earlier about the guy I sat next to on the train yesterday. Feet stunk to high heaven, and picked his nose and ate the boogers all the way! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm still wondering what's the polite way to say "Wash your feet, buy some odour eaters and stop eating your snots you dirty fu*ker!".....

People who file their nails, apply their makeup (infact, anyone completing any part of their "toilette" in public!), bite their nails/skin and spit it out, pick their nails/skin and flick it, also totally gross me out...... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Id love to hear your solution to needing a real bad scratch in public, or how to go about adjusting your pants when you get a ferocious horn on the bus.

use the force:D
    But seriously I'd love to hear the solution as well...

• Advertisement

Come on nobody else wants to see you do that. Find a bit of privacy and do whatever the hell you want then.

I don't want anyone to see me doing it either, but sometimes.......... And a private space isn't always handy when your walking along on the street! Face it Alan, sometimes we have to do bad things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Or, stop worrying about it, look the other way, and be happier for it.

I can look the other way but even the fact that I know their still doing it makes me nauseous :)

I do appear to have been subjected to an awful lot of it lately and it's not always in the same place, my frustration at it prompted this thread.

Yes, agreed, it is truly excrutiating to have "an itch" but I think I would put up with it til I found a toilet or something rather than do an archaeological dig in the middle of Abbey Street or wherever...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I don't mind people picking their nose (fúck off if you eat what comes out!!), scratching their arses (come on, we all get the itch in public) but what I can't stand is people who spit!! Especially big, dirty green balls of goo.

Last Friday while waiting for a bus this young skanger (peaked cap, greasy flat fringe, bumfluff moustache, tracksuit tucked into socks) must have had a serious saliva overload. Even while he was talking he'd spit a nice long string of saliva into the same spot every 10 seconds.

"So yea, I couldn't be*spit*lieve what happened over at Mac*spit*Donalds!"

Agreed! Skanger spit is vile in its frequency and the manner in which they incessantly do it - would you let someone with a bad cough who doesnt want to swallow it cough the occassional loogie or is it rotten full stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Spitting should be outlawed again like back in the TB days. Other disgusting stuff like nose/arse picking, I mean really, please, stop! Nose picking solution: tissue. Arse picking solution: better personal hygiene! Unless you are on medication that induces severe rectal itching! (that was in some Wayans brothers film)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Agreed! Skanger spit is vile in its frequency and the manner in which they incessantly do it - would you let someone with a bad cough who doesnt want to swallow it cough the occassional loogie or is it rotten full stop?

Ah, the odd spit here and there is grand if you got a cold and you need to get rid of it or whatever. Problem is people walking by will think you're a dirty fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People breathing too loudly, just stop. Ahhhhh can't take it anymore, wreckin' me head *runs off*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Some people obviously have more time on their hands then me. Or they have more mental RAM. I get on the bus, or stand at the bus stop, and think about the things going on in my life, and short of a honey walking past, dont take a blind bit of notice of the people around me.

And what is so disgusting about picking your nose in the first place? The nose is connected to the throat, which connects to the mouth, and what comes out of your nose is not smelly brown filth, but rather sweet and non smelly. So what does it matter if people like to touch it or even taste it? It could be alot worse!

syklops wrote:
    Some people obviously have more time on their hands then me. Or they have more mental RAM. I get on the bus, or stand at the bus stop, and think about the things going on in my life, and short of a honey walking past, dont take a blind bit of notice of the people around me.

Good Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

How about when they shoot one out, but some part of it stays stuck to their bottom lip, and it does a bit of a bungee thing and then splashes all over their trousers and they rub it off with their hands.
    Then you're left with a scobie with spit on his chin, lip, legs, and hands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Tha Gopher wrote:

Talk it down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

people having their hands (yes i used the plural) down the front of their abercrombie's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I wonder how women cope without farting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I wonder how women cope without farting.
    haha, I have coffee coming down my nose now! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

syklops wrote:
    Some people obviously have more time on their hands then me. Or they have more mental RAM.

.....SIGH......

Archeron wrote:
    How about when they shoot one out, but some part of it stays stuck to their bottom lip, and it does a bit of a bungee thing and then splashes all over their trousers and they rub it off with their hands.
    Then you're left with a scobie with spit on his chin, lip, legs, and hands.

Yeurgh!

I'm getting many a scummy memory having read that! I saw an old man on O'Connell Bridge one day about 2 years ago putting a finger on one nostril and projecting snot through the other - and it all went horribly wrong..... I'll say no more:(

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

Few weeks ago i had this aul fella on the bus sitting infront of me, he obviously had some skin condition because his entire (bald) head was covered in sores and scabs.
    Every few minutes he'd reach up and have a good long scratch, this produced a smell like cornflakes and caused a shower of flakes & scabs to rain down on my lap.

Delicious!

Can't stand little scangers down the back of the bus gobbing all over the place either, they can do it all they like on the street I don't care, but on the bus is just being a prick.

Yeurgh!

I'm getting many a scummy memory having read that! I saw an old man on O'Connell Bridge one day about 2 years ago putting a finger on one nostril and projecting snot through the other - and it all went horribly wrong..... I'll say no more:(
    Speaking of the elderly...once while on Pearse Street I found myself walking in front of an old lady. She was the type who looked like the nicest person you could meet, and ni fairness she probably was. The point is that she didn't look like the type of person who would do what she did. I received a text message, stepped in towards the side of the path out of the way to reply, this meant that she walked by me. A few steps later, she stopped, did what was described above, although she pulled it off properly, then gobbed what she didn't spray out of her nose down on top of it. Another passerby kind of looked at her, the old lady just smiled, cleared her throat and went about her business.

fortuneg wrote:
    Few weeks ago i had this aul fella on the bus sitting infront of me, he obviously had some skin condition because his entire (bald) head was covered in sores and scabs.
    Every few minutes he'd reach up and have a good long scratch, this produced a smell like cornflakes and caused a shower of flakes & scabs to rain down on my lap.

Delicious!

Can't stand little scangers down the back of the bus gobbing all over the place either, they can do it all they like on the street I don't care, but on the bus is just being a prick.
    Thats just not nasty! Also when they piss on the bus...tends to happen later on in the day, but its just disgusting. The problem is they're already doing it by the time you notice, so there's no point in telling them to stop. Not that they'd listen.

One of my friends, whose dad is a dublin bus mechanic, used to have a summer job in one of the garages cleaning the buses that were in. There were times when he didn't enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

You all have nothing on the monstrosity of public behaviour I have witnessed! I was in Burger King in cork earlier last year, there I was sitting at a table for two with my significant other - facing each other. Right behind her, at a table by himself sat some elderly man, I would say gentleman, but alas read on.
    He's sitting there eating his burger and chips, and he starts coughing badly. All of a sudden, he starts getting sick out his nose! It just came flowing out all over his burger, chips, clothes, the table and the floor. He kind of wipes some of it around with his napkin, then he goes back to eating his sick covered food again!

I promptly put stood up, took hold of the girlfriend and walked out. There's not much that will stop me from eating, but that was hideous.

Not a habit, but none the less, completely horrifying.

Advertisement