Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends GF's odd behaviour towards me.

Options
  • 11-07-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This will be a long and complicated post, so please bear with me.

Have a friend who has been going out with his GF lets call her Grainne, for 6 years, since they were in school. I knew her before they went out for about a year.

I have been going out with my GF for 4 years.

Basically grainne has always beleived i fancied her and has held it over me that i really want her and not which ever girl i am currently seeing. Which say up until 5 years ago was true but once i got to know her i realised that she would irritate me to the point of murder if we were together.

So we didnt really talk for about 3 years apart from being civil to each other for my friends sake. I briefly dated one of her friends for maybe 2 months but it ended ever since then she has been extremely flirtatious to me but now to my current GF she is down right mean.

When we go out she sits beside me and flicks her eye lashes at me and wants my attention all of the time. Yet as soon as my back in turned she bitches about me and my GF. When she is drunk and she knows i have dropped my GF home she will send me flirty txts as she is usually at home by then. I do not lve with my GF and she does not live with her BF. The txts are always usually about how come me and grainne didnt get together and what she thinks it would be like to kiss me and cuddle me etc. Now i am really good friends with this guy i have known him since play school and his GF is txtin me this s**t behind his back? yet when im not around she bitches about me and my GF.

One of my other good friends knows the score and he thinks that maybe she realises that my current GF is someone i will settle down with. As grainne is very attractive, i would say that apart from my current GF grainne would be better looking than most of my ex's. Whereas my urrent GF is very attractive and would be more so than grainne. So my friend thinks that grainne feels threatened that i dont "fancy" her anymore and this is why she is so nice to myself and my GF's face bitching behind our backs but sends me flirty txts.

Myself and my friend would do a lot together both in a group and just the 2 of us, i.e. we'd go for pints and our Gf's would come.
    So last saturday the 4 of us were out and my gf and my friend both smoke so they went off for a smoke and myself and grainne were left there and basically she moved over beside me didnt think much of it but (she was wearing one of this mini dress?? things, she looked good. Anyway she says to me "I see you keep looking me up and down why dont we meet up later (as in after the pub) and we can talk about it" Frankly i sat there dumbfounded til my gf and friend got back About an hour later they went for a smoke again now this is the weird part, I have a thing for girls wearing stockings and high heels now my ex who was her friend would know this... she must have told grainne cos grainne moves over beside me and basically pulls up her dress to reveal pretty much stockings and suspenders. Now i wont lie it turned me on. So when they came back she went to the toilet and took a picture of her in her underwear and the next time they went outside she showed it to me.

So we met up that night basically on wall... how 15 year old of us.

Basically this is what she said. "i like steve (my friend) but i always though me and you would end up together, i love steve but more as a friend and its you i want etc.. Then this " your current gf has made me realise that you dont want me anymore and that is why i get angry about you and her because i want you and now she has you and you seem so happy with her that you probably wont want me.

Needless to say shocked didnt exactly describe how i felt. So i sat there on the wall and said what about steve? The last 7 years you have been together. She replied " the last 7 years was a mistake and when you showed an interest in me back before she got with steve she just thought that it was great that she was wanted but she never did anything about it cos she thought i may have been playing games ( i wasnt i did like her). So we pretty much sat there wil about 7 am talking, her doing a lot of crying and she tried to kiss me a few times but i just moved my head.

Now i pretty depressed. I have no idea what to do my friends GF basically confessed her love for me and told me their relationship was just a convenience thing for her. They are saving for a house and i know he is madly in love with her. She has been txtin me pretty much every day and basically wants me to dump my GF and she'll dump steve and for us to start a relationship, not going to happen.

Now we also have an additional problem about 10 of us are heading over to my GF's parents holiday home in florida including steve and grainne.

So the question is what do i do? Do i tell my friend about his GF? will he beleive me? What will she do when he confronts her? I have evidence and quite a lot of her txts saved. This will devastate him and i am not sure how she will react TBH.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

God that sounds like an awful situation. I wouldn't know what to do regarding your mate, only you can decide that, but have you told your GF about this? I think she should know. Maybe start with telling her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

ouch, really tough situation. I think you owe it to your friend to tell him. Tbh Grainne sounds like a grade A bitch. If they do end up getting married, she will make your friend's life miserable. I have to say if I was your friend, I would want to hear about it. I would be really pissed off at you if I found out later that you knew and didn't tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Evil Phil wrote:
    God that sounds like an awful situation. I wouldn't know what to do regarding your mate, only you can decide that, but have you told your GF about this? I think she should know. Maybe start with telling her.

Well she has thought for a while that grainne likes me but obviously not to the extent that she actually does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

This will be a long and complicated post, so please bear with me.

Have a friend who has been going out with his GF lets call her Grainne, for 6 years, since they were in school. I knew her before they went out for about a year.

I have been going out with my GF for 4 years.

When we go out she sits beside me and flicks her eye lashes at me and wants my attention all of the time. Yet as soon as my back in turned she bitches about me and my GF. When she is drunk and she knows i have dropped my GF home she will send me flirty txts as she is usually at home by then. I do not lve with my GF and she does not live with her BF. The txts are always usually about how come me and grainne didnt get together and what she thinks it would be like to kiss me and cuddle me etc. Now i am really good friends with this guy i have known him since play school and his GF is txtin me this s**t behind his back? yet when im not around she bitches about me and my GF.

didnt read past this................tell your friend... let him decide what to do about his relationship and then go back to just being civil with grainne......... id tell your gf aswell what has been going on as it is something grainne could hang over your head even though you appear to have done nothing wrong

just read the rest; there is no good outcome to this and you just have to get it over and done with.............your friends relationship is going to end sooner or later anyway if that is what she is thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

wow.

I think you have to tell him, because now she's made herself vulnerable to you by confessing how she really feels, from the sounds of it she's liable to lose the head when she realises you don't feel the same way - this could end up with her making something up and make things difficult for you with your mate and g/f.

Plus it sounds like you'd be doing your mate the biggest favour EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Evil Phil wrote:

I am with evil_phil on this.

Its tricky alright, but the first priority should not be your freind but your g/friend.

Did you actively tell the other to stop?

Is your g/friend likely to believe you or will she think that there is no smoke without fire?

The thing is, is it likely that steves g/f will actively start to interfere. She has obviously decided to make a play, will she now really turn the screws?

If you show you g/f what is being sent to you and what your responses are and how you have basically given her the brush off, then it shuld armour your relationship.

Unfortunately one or the other will get hurt, cannot see any way around it from this angle TBH.
    Questions will be asked if you dont go on holiday and all that.

The only other option is to tell steves g/f that you will getbit out into the open if it continues, though i shudder to think what that may b potentially cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I think you should let your girlfriend know this is happening, what if she were to find out for herself..?
    your friend deserves much more than this girl, he loves her so much and to her he is just a convienience..? thats not right.
    Or are you actually thinking this is a good idea, the two of ye breaking up with your partners and get together? Is this something you are considering? you didnt really say much about your girlfriend there like how much you love her or that you wouldnt do anything like that to hurt her...
    I would say its a really bad idea , if ye were to get together she might very well get bored with you and move onto someone else who isnt paying her the attention she so desires...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Show your buddy the texts.

Marksie wrote:
    I am with evil_phil on this.

Its tricky alright, but the first priority should not be your freind but your g/friend.

Did you actively tell the other to stop?

Is your g/friend likely to believe you or will she think that there is no smoke without fire?

The thing is, is it likely that steves g/f will actively start to interfere. She has obviously decided to make a play, will she now really turn the screws?

If you show you g/f what is being sent to you and what your responses are and how you have basically given her the brush off, then it shuld armour your relationship.

Unfortunately one or the other will get hurt, cannot see any way around it from this angle TBH.
    Questions will be asked if you doont go on holiday and all that.

The only other option is to tell steves g/f that you will getbit out into the open if it continues, though i shudder to think what that may b potentially cause

My gf trusts me as on a nightout with some of her friends one of them tried it on with me and got a severe telling off from me!

I am seeing my GF tonight, i have done nothing wrong but tbh i am worried about steves reaction. He has only had 2 gf's his first GF cheated on him aswell....

Also i am not sure of grainnes reaction she has basically given me the option of being with her,i do not want this but i have to be that blunt with her.

One thing i am worried is that she will sayi have been txtin her for sex etc or have groped her... i ahve txts to prove she did the chasing but still it will be messy

I go jogging with steve every wednesday so i may say it to him tonight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This will devastate him and i am not sure how she will react TBH.

Most likely hang you from a height in the process.
    I agree with the lads above. Tell your g/f, by doing so, it shows you have nothing to hide and you are better to get there before Grainne does.

As for your friend, rock and a hard place, he deserves to know, but telling him... that's going to be nasty no matter which way it goes and I honestly have no advice for you there.
    Defo, tell her to back off and I'd also be telling her that she shouldn't be with someone she doesn't love, I mean wtf is she playing at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, she sounds like a bitch, the kind of person both you and your friend are better off without. I think telling your girlfriend is the best idea, making it totally clear you gave her the brush off and are not interested at all, and that you don't know what to do about your friend (tell him, or not).

You don't want your girlfriend finding out some other way, imagine if Grainne tells her and adds a few lies ("your boyfriend is leaving you for me") or if Grainne tells a friend and your gf finds out through other people.

Femmy wrote:
    I think you should let your girlfriend know this is happening, what if she were to find out for herself..?
    your friend deserves much more than this girl, he loves her so much and to her he is just a convienience..? thats not right.
    Or are you actually thinking this is a good idea, the two of ye breaking up with your partners and get together? Is this something you are considering? you didnt really say much about your girlfriend there like how much you love her or that you wouldnt do anything like that to hurt her...
    I would say its a really bad idea , if ye were to get together she might very well get bored with you and move onto someone else who isnt paying her the attention she so desires...

Femmy my current GF is the one for me. We are saving extremely hard for a house at the moment. I ahve done the casual sex thing and have found my soulmate with my current gf and will not be leaving her... ever!

hshortt wrote:
    Show your buddy the texts.

I would but he would be liable to smash it off the ground....
    But it would probably be the easiest thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Do you have any feelings (besides lust) toward this Grainne girl?

If not, I dont see why you should spare her feelings. Right now it should be your partner and your friend you should look after (in that order).

If you dont tell your girlfriend, things could get nasty, and from the sounds of it, Grainne is well capable of spinning a yarn or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

My gf trusts me as on a nightout with some of her friends one of them tried it on with me and got a severe telling off from me!

Good, she is more than likely to listen to what you say
    I am seeing my GF tonight, i have done nothing wrong but tbh i am worried about steves reaction. He has only had 2 gf's his first GF cheated on him aswell....

You cannot worry about steve at the moment, it could go pear shaped for everyone. Who is most important, ruthless maybe, but you can be there for steve
    Also i am not sure of grainnes reaction she has basically given me the option of being with her,i do not want this but i have to be that blunt with her.

Even more than blunt
    One thing i am worried is that she will sayi have been txtin her for sex etc or have groped her... i ahve txts to prove she did the chasing but still it will be messy

It was always going to be messy OP. No way around that. You kept the etxts?, good. Now how long has this texting been occurring and how many texts. The one thing i can see from you G/F is "why didn't you tel me before this"
    I go jogging with steve every wednesday so i may say it to him tonight

Cancel the jogging, get things sorted first

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Tell your girlfriend. Tell Grainne to sod of, as blunt as you like. No more meeting her after the pub or texting her or anything like that. She's just playing mind games and to be honest probably wouldn't break up with your mate, she just craves attention.

dellas1979 wrote:
    Do you have any feelings (besides lust) toward this Grainne girl?

If not, I dont see why you should spare her feelings. Right now it should be your partner and your friend you should look after (in that order).

If you dont tell your girlfriend, things could get nasty, and from the sounds of it, Grainne is well capable of spinning a yarn or two.

I said above for the first couple of years i knew her, i would talk to her occasionally if i seen her in the pub i thought she was very attractive and did flirt with her. When she sarted seeing steve i seen a spoiled little brat persona that she has aswell and tbh i cannot stand in, dont get me wrong a lot of the time she is fine and we get along but more often that not she will ruin a night out by being a brat, one particular time refusing to get a nitelink as "she doesnt do buses" Instead of getting a nitelink if there were no taxis she'd ring her daddy to come pick her up...

Marksie wrote:
    Cancel the jogging, get things sorted first

Good advice marksie,but i was think i could just stop somewhere along the job maybe near a park bench or something and talk to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Beruthiel wrote:
    Most likely hang you from a height in the process.
    I agree with the lads above. Tell your g/f, by doing so, it shows you have nothing to hide and you are better to get there before Grainne does.

Emm ... nothing to hide ... methinks you are forgetting something :D
    Now i wont lie it turned me on. So when they came back she went to the toilet and took a picture of her in her underwear and the next time they went outside she showed it to me.

So we met up that night basically on wall... how 15 year old of us.

professore wrote:
    Emm ... nothing to hide ... methinks you are forgetting something :D

Yes but i didnt do anything, though i should have brought a tape recorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Man thats a beeyaaatchh of situation to be in.

Dont tell your bird - Ring your mate tell him you have something serious to discuss with him. Meet him in a quiet pub.

Tell him he is teh only one you have told this to then level with him.

ask him what does he want to do about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭CrazyNoob

OP I'm with most people's advise here.
    Tell your GF today! if you dont you could put your relationship in danger if Grainne decides to put a spin on the situation.

Then you can decide how to tell your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I would not tell your girlfriend for just a bit, she may instinctively want to grab her and pull her outside for a full on confrontation.

The first person to be told here is your friend. I knew a girl like Grainne, that would stop at nothing to get what she wanted and loved the idea of playing behind peoples backs, but when she got what she wanted, it didn't last very long.

God...could you ever be happy with a girl like her, knowing all along what a wagon she was? Dont be depressed over the situation. Be sorry for her. I have to say, you are a bit of an eegit for meeting her at the wall. Now she has that against you.

Tell her you aint interested in a relationship with her. Dont mind the tears. Sounds like you've got a cracker at the moment and I doubt shes anything as sneaky as this grainne one.

Its her own fault. Talk to your buddy.. or better still, confront her, tell her your dont want to hear anymore period on the subject, your not interested and if she sends one more text, or dirty picture, you'll show everything to your buddy and she can hit the road.

Dont be depressed over the situation and dont let her come between your friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

for me it sounds like this girl loves the thrill of chase....if you do decide to become involved with her (which I wouldn't advise) I think she'd do the exact same thing do you. She's bored with her life and wants to do something naughty (that stuff with the stockings and the pics in the pub??? screams of bored thrillseeker to me)

Do your friend a favour and let him know whats going on. You'll save him from being with a person thats obviously not good enough for him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Marksies posts are good advice. I also agree with Peewee_lane that this graine wan just wants what she can't have. Standard fare for a lot out there. I guarantee that if you did jump she would lose interest. She's acting like what she is, an immature child. As such she needs a metaphorical slap like a child.

Now you have to bite the bullet and be the exact opposite of grainne. You have to take control of this and be the adult. First thing you do is you tell your girlfriend about this. Calmly and quietly state your case and that this grainnes attitude, flirtation and treatment of others is unacceptable to you and that she(your GF) needs to know this. Leave out any incriminating stuff. It'll serve absolutely no purpose. If it comes out in the wash deal with it then. If you tell her the basics of this, she's gonna go off half cocked anyway. Telling her everything or at least the bits you feel slightly guilty about will just drag you further into it, for no damn good reason. After this blows up and it will, then tell your mate. He needs to know he's with an idiot who is prepared to lie to him for all those years. He deserves better. Be prepared for him to flip and/or deny this. Men can be awful idiots when it comes to reading women. He'll be all "but she says she loves me". Makes no difference. Actions speak louder than words. If you make one point to him make that last one. He'll see it sooner or later.

I would disagree with Peewee_lane in one respect. I would not engage with grainne about this. No need. You owe her nothing and telling her you don't want to be anyway with her isn't half as effective as avoiding her like the plague. Talking to her may also cause problems with your GF. If you do meet her don't be surprised if one of the things this grainne will do when confronted by your GF is say you pair met up to discuss it. She'll twist it too. Don't give her any more ammo than she thinks she already has. Leave her to twist in the wind.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd just tell Grainne to get lost and that you've got no romantic interest in her whatsoever. I'd also mention that if she pulls such a stunt again, I'd let Steve know about it.

Remind her you still got the texts. That might put an end to her carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tell your girlfriend. Tell your girlfriend. Tell your girlfriend.

I have had dealings with a Grainne-type girl before and, believe me, it will be much better coming from you. Grainne will spin it to suit her - she may even lie outright and say that you slept with her. Remember she wants you and your girlfriend broken up and might do something stupid to ensure that happens.

Tell your girlfriend first, be honest with her. As for your friend - you're really going to have to tell him too. But be warned that he will not take it well and may even take anger out on you. Also remember that Grainne may deny everything and try and twist it around on you when she realises that she isn't going to get what she wants.

'OP all I can say to you is a major pat on the back for not giving in to "grainne" and cheating on your GF. From your description she to me sounds like the biggest attention seeker that I've ever heard of (well, up there anyway). I've known plenty of women in the past that love to hang around with loads of lads, but if you throw another woman (who she thinks is prettier) in to the mix, she will simply not be able to contain herself with rage. I believe that this kind of behaviour has to stem from childhood, but hopefully as they get older have it kicked out of them by people who won't tolerate it. In the case where the girl is regarded as very attractive, new lads will be overshadowed by her beauty and not do a friggin thing about it, other than give her attention in the hope that they will score. I've seen girls tease guys (myself included) to the point where you are not even sure anymore has your friendship crossed an unspoken boundary in to relationship or not (simply based on the level of flirtation, etc). Then they keep this up, and when you get sick of it in the end, they are done with you and move on.

Mate if you were to score with grainne, it would last less than 2 months and you would come out the other end having lost everything.

What I would do in your shoes, is sit down and talk to my GF and tell her what is going on. You seem to have your head screwed on, so you don't have to remind her that you are trustworthy. So start off by telling her that you feel really sorry for your mate that she is doing this behind her back. Tell her that things have escalated and that she is starting to seem bloody persistent.

This is a good idea because now grainne can't for the fun of it, let it be known to your girlfriend somehow what is going on, and have her lose trust in you (breaking your relationship apart). Secondly if your mate was to find out before your girlfriend, then again, your GF would wonder (probably) why you didn't say something.

I agree with other posters, your GF and then your mate (in that order, and talk with nobody else).'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think you probably have to do something big and the fall out is goign to be huge. Your friend will be pissed and may take a while to realise that you are not to blame at all. He may just lash out be prepared. Also I'd probably tell your GF first and reassure her and tell her what you're thinking of doing. Also after you have decided what to do, i'd tell your friends GF either before or just after, she was pretty honest with you in the end and granted her behaviour may not have been the best, the situations occur. And she'll prob lose the most in a way.

Hope it was some help. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

She sounds hot as **** though :)

Difficult situation. Get as many texts from her together as evidence just to cover your back. Tell your gf as soon as possible to cover that side of things - whether you tell her before or after your mate is not a massive deal.. It is something that your mate will want to know but he will prob take it very hard at first. I would suggest typing out the text messages and printing them all on a single sheet for when/if you have a word with him. He could react badly to you, possibly not believe you, and being able to hand that over to him will give him time to come to terms with it by himself. If he still disputes it or she manages to convince that you are lying, you have the text messages saved as backup.

Have you got any pics of this one :) she sounds like she could be fun for a week or two.

Advertisement