Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a video PMP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Thanks kaiserrose. I am guessing it won't fit in your pocket to easily.

Does the browser support Flash 9? if you can Kasierose, can you test the site www.gotuitmusic.com. Can you post on forums using the browser and do you need the broswer to watch Youtube vids (I thought I herd you do not need the broswer to do this). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

doesnt support flash 9 (well not yet anyways, adobe have never released the source code for flash 8/9 for mobile devices). You need web browser for youtube and you can post on forums with the browser. That website you linked isnt working atm.

Thanks kaiserose. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Almost certain im gonna buy myself an Archos 605 - it looks the business. Just not entirely sure where to get it from.
    shipped wednesday last week, arrived today. Dont know about ipod mpegs ( do you mean .mov files? - if you so you have to get a 20euro plugin to play .mov quicktime files). It'll stream anything it supports i'd say as long as their filesize and bit rate aint huge. Web browser is better than i though it would be. All media players will add wifi, its so handy when you have a wireless router.
    kaisersose77, about hotmp3gear.com, how many workdays was it between you placing your order and the item being shipped? cheers :)

• Advertisement

Another question if anyone can answer. And most probably a really stupid one at that.

The Archos Battery Dock - is this a portable external battery to be carried around plugged into the player and can be charged in a dock ? :confused:

Whereas the Mini-Dock is merely a simple dock to charge the player?

the battery dock is basically the mini dock but has the bonus of being an external battery aswell (so its an external battery, can charge the player (i think it charges the battery first though), and has usb host and tv out). If you dont need an external battery then just get the mini dock.

They ship with plug adaptors for Europe/UK/US so you may aswell get one from hotmp3gear if your getting the 605.

I ordered mine before they were out, but when hotmp3gear got stock, I had it in about 6 days. Check archosfans forum as I think theres stock shortages well with the 160gb anyways.

A website that just started but will be updated a lot soon

http://www.darksouls.org/aup/modules/weblinks/

Im helping the guy behind it with links etc. Should have all the current apple trailers links on it soon enough and gametrailers.com reviews. And also links to streaming tv channels like Rte 1 and 2 and lots of others.

Thankyou!

I've ordered from hotmp3gear.com, seems the best value. I expect i'll be waiting awhile though, as there does appear to be shortages about the place.

Do the hotmp3gear crowd send an email with tracking number when they send the item out the door ?

They give you the tracking number before they ship/when they ship (they must buy pre-paid postal parcels). Just email the site and they should let you know what it is when its being shipped.

Dropped them an email and got "We are just waiting for a shipment which is in transit then will ship right away".

Now to play the waiting game...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Its been a few weeks since in recieved my Archos 605, i must say it has been worth the money. Im looking forward to the widgets feature being added to it as well. I like the fact that it can read PDF files, though it would be handy if it could read word docs as well. It is a bit on the bulky side however, so it isnt the best for listening to music on the go. I hope that more software and features are added over time to get the best out of it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Has anyone ordered the Archos 605 from here: http://www.newmp3technology.com/Archos-605-160GB.htm

It is €328 incl delivery for the 160GB model, seems to be much cheaper than any other site, so I'm just wondering if there might be a reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

5starpool wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered the Archos 605 from here: http://www.newmp3technology.com/Archos-605-160GB.htm

It is €328 incl delivery for the 160GB model, seems to be much cheaper than any other site, so I'm just wondering if there might be a reason for this?

Looks like they're an e-bay powerseller with good feedback.

Also sell via Amazon US

Cheers for that, I might just order from there soon then.

Watch out for customs & VAT charges (although I did like the following
    on their site).

Both newmp3technology.com and hotmp3gear are shipping from outside
    the EU and in theory (legally speaking ;)) you should pay additional
    charges for importing.

I'd go for whichever site is the cheapest pre-customs charges.

i'd go for hotmp3gear if you want to get it as cheap as possible and want some help with regards customs ;) , dont know what newmp3technology do for that.

btw jbmm.net as discount code gets you $10 off on hotmp3gear

I think most sites are out of stock of the 160gb atm

I ordered there, but when I ordered through newmp3technology I noticed that it said that HOTMP3GEAR will appear on your statement, so seems to be one and the same anyhow.

Wonder why they dont link all their sites (the hotmp3gear owner has other sites as far as I know, didnt think that newmp3 was one) to that newmp3 one seeing as it looks an awful lot better than hotmp3gear!

I see the hotmp3gear rep has posted updates on the archosfan forum, which is good to see.

Shipments inbound to them apparently !

Had planned on picking up a 605 when I'm next in the US with work but at the
    hotmp3 price am tempted to order online. I'll be interested to hear how you
    get on with delivery and any 'additional' charges.

Quick review on BBC site today comparing various PMPs including the Archos
    - which wins.

• Advertisement

well in terms of video its definitely the winner

pity there isnt as much interest in hacking it as the new ipod, it would be some player then! Having a mini version of xbox media center so would be so good.

Had planned on picking up a 605 when I'm next in the US with work but at the
    hotmp3 price am tempted to order online. I'll be interested to hear how you
    get on with delivery and any 'additional' charges.
    No problemo, will keep you updated. Im hoping they'll have it shipped this coming week, and fingers crossed no (UK) custom charges :)

On a side note, I was home in Ireland the past few days and seen the 605 in Currys, Carrickmines ..... €449 :eek:

Have just received a tracking number via email from Canada Post. Fingers crossed it doesn't take too long.

They get the parcels ready before they even have the stock and give you the tracking number thats going to be used so it doesnt mean it was actually sent (handier for them so they can post them as soon as they get stock). Email Scott at hotmp3gear and see if he actually posted it or is like i described above.

Indeed. Looks like nothing is sent yet, it hasn't moved since yesterday. Still has status 'electronically submitted'. Oh well :/

OK, received the Archos 605 last week. In the end the delivery, once sent, only took 2 nights to get across the Atlantic to me. Very quick!

So have been using it for a week now and its handled pretty much every video ive thrown at it so far. I'm loving the crystal clear display and sound is top-notch.

I'll probably purchase the browser plugin later on.

The only downside I can see so far is the time it takes to charge, wihch is to be expected with a USB-based charge. Still waiting on a battery dock, so that should sort that out.

Would like to get a cheap screen protecter thing - any suggestions ?

As mentioned on the other thread, I got mine today after receiving the dispatched email last friday only, so delighted with that.

any that doesnt play, probably used gmc or quarter pixel when encoding (dont think thats released in the last few years uses that and the default autogk settings definiteky dont)

this ebay seller was selling all the plugins for $40

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110184159518&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D110184159518%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

he was selling them before for the last generation archos so will probably sell them again soon enough. If you read the description you'll see he must know a lot about archos's plugin unlocking! Could be lies but I myself would take the risk if I didnt have the plugins bought already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dannydublin

Hi, I'm looking around for a new pmp and have to say that this thread has been extremely helpful. I'm almost certainly going to splash out on a 160gb 605, but I was just wondering if there is any need to convert your xvid files before they play on the device (as is the case with the Zune)?

Thanks...

• Advertisement

You only have to convert if they have 1) ac3 sound, a program called nandub converts the ac3 to mp3 very quickly i think

(but the cinema plugin has ac3 support so you'd probably be better off just spending 20euros on the plugin)

2) have quarter pixel or GMC, I think only old divx/xvid avi's from the net used this. I dont think anything I acquired or converted in the last few years had quarter pixel or GMC, so they play fine on my 605.

Anyways if its an xvid video player, you cant go wrong, especially with the 160gb version.

Advertisement