Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gets you out of bed in the morning?

Options
  • 09-07-2007 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

Ha, well, as the title says, what makes you get up in the morning?

I read a book not so long ago called "Man's search for meaning" by Victor Frankl, a Doctor who survived the Holocaust, and he was of the opinion that people who have neglected the meaning in their lives become unhappy, depressed-whatever. This opinion was forged during his time in a number of camps, and he saw what effect meaning had on the inmate's lives.

So, besides the day to day drudgery of eating, working and sleeping, what gives your life meaning?*

*Before we start, yes indeed-my Ma, Atari Jaguar and "Shouldn't this be in the _________ forum?":)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I put my alarm on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Hmm, Love, Family, Friends, and my passion in life, Acting.
    Not a lot will motivate me to leave the leaba on saturday morning.
    I likes the lie-ins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Knowing that the world will be a poorer place without me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sometimes i really need to pee bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Literally? The need to pee.
    Why do I go on with life? Simple, for fun! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Crucifix wrote:
    I put my alarm on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off.

Me too, until one morning I knocked it off the wardrobe and it broke. Now I have two alarms set on my phone and I leave it on the windowsill at the other side of my room. I set it to play something really cheesy and embarrassing, like the Happy Days theme tune, so the shame will get me out of bed.

I put the phone on a pile of coins that rattle with the alarm vibrations. I also have to hit the snooze buttons a good five times for each alarm. All this and I still sleep in at least once a week. If I wasn't on flexitime, I would have been sacked long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

OP wrote:
    So, besides the day to day drudgery of eating, working and sleeping, what gives your life meaning?*

I never knew alarm clocks gave so much meaning to people's lives. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

TheVan wrote:
    Yore Ma!!!
    yes, first in!!!!

Damn, I knew I'd miss it. What a wasted trip.

But seriously, because life is F**KING BRILLIANT.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What makes you think I get out of bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Usually my ma going 'YOU'RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR WORK'

Other than that.. well working and eating, ironically enough with regard to the OP's phrasing, definitely make life worth living -- I love my job, and there are few things I enjoy better than a good meal.

Also if I wasn't alive I could never listen to Slayer really loudly while driving again and that would be a tragedy for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

The knowledge that if i get the early train, i can leave work earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I honestly don't know.

My job for a start. Hate creating fuss so I don't ever be late. Plus I have a loan to pay off and it's a cushy job only ten minutes from home. It would suck if I had to drive back into the city each morning.

The fact that I am getting a BMW 3 series soon to replace my basic 1L Polo. Hurray!

The promise of a new day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

An uncomfortable bed and the urgent need to wee.
    Seriously, if you have problems getting out of bed in the morning, buy a cheap bed... you'll never want 5 more minutes again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

Seriously, if you have problems getting out of bed in the morning, buy a cheap bed... you'll never want 5 more minutes again. :(

Too true! An uncomfortable bed is a definite incentive to get up.

What gets me up in the morning... Bills and loans to be honest. I'd love to be 15 again and have no responsibility but you have to get over that. I think if I didn't have any loans or bills I would find it harder to keep working. Are you happy in your current job OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

You could be sleeping on nails ... the beds not generally an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Food is the only reason I get up in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Breakfast with wife, get to work and then have some fun afterwards. Generally not that difficult to get out of bed unless there is a few feet of snow outside. The bills won't pay themselves unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I like my job so I have no problems getting up in the morning. Anyway, you'd eventually have to go to the bog. Unless you were extremely lazy and went under the covers. Eewww

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The need to feed, or to pee. Whatever comes first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

scojones wrote:
    What gets me up in the morning... Bills and loans to be honest. I'd love to be 15 again and have no responsibility but you have to get over that.
    I'm lovin' it for ye ;):D

what gets me out of bed? normally someone has to phone me to wake me (alarms do _nothing_ anymore), however certain other things can wake me.. thoughts of people.. im sure someone whispering in my ear might do the trick too :o

why do i go on with life? everything happens for a reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Tissue.

As my good friend Liam Gallagher once sang "Whats the story morning glory yeeeeeaaaaaah"

I'm lovin' it for ye ;):D

what gets me out of bed? normally someone has to phone me to wake me (alarms do _nothing_ anymore), however certain other things can wake me.. thoughts of people.. im sure someone whispering in my ear might do the trick too :o

why do i go on with life? everything happens for a reason :)

Damn you! Ah you have some draw backs too dude! Mind you, here I am at 9.10 stuck in work. I should have left at nine. Ho...hum...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭intheknow

Her Husband works the night shift..............

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

scojones wrote:
    Damn you! Ah you have some draw backs too dude! Mind you, here I am at 9.10 stuck in work. I should have left at nine. Ho...hum...:(
    awh *hugz* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

work..because if i didnt get up i'd have no car!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Crucifix wrote:
    this used to work for me until I, sadly, conditioned myself to sleep through the monotinous beep! beep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

The Bollox wrote:
    this used to work for me until I, sadly, conditioned myself to sleep through the monotinous beep! beep!

I most definitely relate!

I used to put my phone on the wooden floor vibrating because it would wake the whole house up if i didnt get up straight away. I then lived in a karaoke bar for 3 months, now I dont even bat an eyelid if a bus beeps in my ear. Amazing what u can be conditioned to.

For me, Its a day closer to the weekend each time i do it, sooner i do it, the sooner the weekend comes
    ( My logic is flawless. please let me keep it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

The Bollox wrote:

was just think about this last night as i was looking at the alarm clock and thinking, i'm going to set it, but i know i still wont wake up to turn it off. if i had next door neighbor's i'm sure it would wake them up, but me, dead to the world.

i dont normally start work till either 12pm or 3pm, and i usually get up those days at either 11.30pm or 2.00pm. but my day off i get up around 10am. says alot about my job:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

work..because if i didnt get up i'd have no car!!

If you didnt get up, you wouldnt need one.:)

Advertisement