Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanning Tablets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Thanks Plissken... ill have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Yeah, but I really would be careful of those tablets.

I cant understand how they can turn you brown? Sounds toxic.

We spend hours a day grooming ourselves, drinking water, eating the right things........I would go so far as to ask a doctor or nurse whats in those things.

I can see how it could damage you but beta carotene is only a vitamin......health food stores sell them so can they really be that bad??????

Im more intruiged than anything.....i know ill still have an amazing holiday regardless id just like to be a little less sickly looking on return

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Two people I work with tried them last summer before they went off on holidays and their hands turned orange [and their pee and poop was orange too but thats another story altogether.... ]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

health food stores sell them so can they really be that bad??????I
    I haven't actually read the previous posts but noticed this... Just because an item is sold in a health food shop doesnt mean its healthy! Especially when you're taking a supplement in excess of the RDA

• Advertisement

OMG Scraggs no way!!!!!!! eeek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

I can see how it could damage you but beta carotene is only a vitamin......health food stores sell them so can they really be that bad??????

Im more intruiged than anything.....i know ill still have an amazing holiday regardless id just like to be a little less sickly looking on return

not being smart but if you still buy these pills after you read all the info in the link I posted in my previous thread you are just being niave, no matter how much you want them to work the ones sold in health shops DONT WORK !!!! simple as that they just dont work none of them, there are certain banned pills that you can still buy online that do work however they have some nasty tendencies such as turning all bodily excretions orange damaging your vision, liver and turning different parts of your body extreme shades of yellow/orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Synthetic beta carotene is slightly different than the beta carotene found in foods. And to get a significant skin discolouration effect, you'd need to go way above the RDA. Plenty of vitamins are toxic if you take them in extreme quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Scraggs wrote:
    Two people I work with tried them last summer before they went off on holidays and their hands turned orange [and their pee and poop was orange too but thats another story altogether.... ]
    Oh, no way, that's horrible! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

but rather a healthy colour, pale to me, for me and for others ends up looking sickly

Well considering a tan is actually damamged skin I don't know why you or anyone would consider it healthy. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

The tablets are often used by bodybuilders in competition to achieve that healthy, orange look. MMmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Scraggs wrote:

yes but at least they didn't look 'sickly'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Here is the conclusion from that site:
    There is no substance, legal or illegal, that can currently be taken orally to stimulate the production of melanin. Not even psoralens do that: they work by increasing your skin's sensitivity to UV radiation, which increases the damage to your DNA, forcing your melanocytes to protect you.

Unless you suffer from a genetic defect, your melanocytes have no difficulty whatsoever manufacturing melanin.

Except in cases of severe malnutrition or a genetic defect, the human body has everything it needs to make melanin.

How much, and what kind of, melanin your melanocytes produce depends on just two things: your genetic make up and your degree of exposure to UV radiation.

All tanning pills which contain caretenoids in sufficient quantity to tint human skin, whether the caretenoid in question is beta carotene, lycopene, or canthaxanthin, are illegal for sale in the U.S.

As long as people buy tanning pills, manufacturers will make them. They are in it for the money. After all, it's a fantastic scam: Ordinary vitamins that cost them pennies marked up to $25 or more. With that kind of profit, is it any wonder that tanning pill manufacturers will tell you any lie they can think up to get you to buy their products?

Also I googled beta carotene and effects on liver and tons of sites came up. Here is a bit I took from one.
    While diets high in fruits and vegetables rich in beta-carotene have been shown to potentially reduce the incidence of certain cancers, results from randomized controlled trials with oral supplements do not support this claim.There is some concern that beta-carotene metabolites with pharmacological activity can accumulate and potentially have cancer causing (carcinogenic) effects. A higher, statistically significant incidence of lung cancer in male smokers who took beta-carotene supplements has been discovered. Beta-carotene/vitamin A supplements may have an adverse effect on the incidence of lung cancer and on the risk of death in smokers and asbestos exposed people or in those who ingest significant amounts of alcohol. In addition, high-dose antioxidants theoretically may interfere with the activity of some chemotherapy drugs or radiation therapy. Therefore, individuals undergoing cancer treatment should speak with their oncologist if they are taking or considering the use of high dose antioxidants.Beta-carotene in the amounts normally found in food does not appear to have this adverse effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I honestly do not know whether it is worth it or not to take these pills. Obviously I do not think sunbeds are ever worth the risks and I have not been on one for years.

But OP, I know how you feel. My dh calls me the blood donor who couldn't say no. Looks like it is back to the fake stuff for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

Pythia wrote: »
    I'd love to try these as it's more difficult to apply fake tan during your holiday as you're so busy all the time.
    Report back if you use them.

I use them when I'm away and they're brill!!
    I wear tan when I'm at home anyway so if you're not used to having a dark tan I wouldnt recommend them as they make you quite dark!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

I know this is a really old post but I've had great success with tanning pills - especially ones that have other carotenoids in them besides beta carotene as I found beta carotene alone can turn you a but orangey. I get mine on <snip> and find them brilliant, they also have ones which improve your tanning while you're in the sun/on sunbeds which I use when I'm away.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

How much are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

€23.95 for 1 bottle last time I bought them on the website, €39.95 for 2 bottles. Each bottle lasts 4-6 weeks (4 wks if you're starting off, 6 wks if you're continuing). That inculdes postage aswell. Love to hear how you get on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

cookerj wrote: »
    I know this is a really old post but I've had great success with tanning pills - especially ones that have other carotenoids in them besides beta carotene as I found beta carotene alone can turn you a but orangey. I get mine on Mod Edit: Snipping Link and find them brilliant, they also have ones which improve your tanning while you're in the sun/on sunbeds which I use when I'm away.

This is an interesting bit at the end of the url you posted
    ?a_aid=rjc
    Is there to show that people who followed the link were sent to that site by you and there for you will be paid?

It's very strange how you bump a thread from years ago just to post a link to a product that you recommend. The website you linked to also looks like it was generated by code and not a designer which would fit into it being a affiliate site.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SugarHigh wrote: »
    This is an interesting bit at the end of the url you posted

Is there to show that people who followed the link were sent to that site by you and there for you will be paid?

It's very strange how you bump a thread from years ago just to post a link to a product that you recommend. The website you linked to also looks like it was generated by code and not a designer which would fit into it being a affiliate site.

SugarHigh, if you have a problem with the post, the please use the Report Post functionality instead of clogging up the thread.

Thread closed.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement