Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanning Tablets

Options
  • 09-07-2007 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi guys

Im going on holidays soon and hate the feeling of hitting the beach day one and being as white as a milk bottle :eek:

Friend of mine reccomended tanning tablets or beta carotene as i usually burn rather than tan.

Im conscious of the health effects of tanning before people tell me to fake it rather than risk damaging my skin.

has anybody used tanning tablets or beta carotene?? does it work or do you just end up yellow??

dying to come home a different colour than i go away as....please help!!!!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as much as i dislike the use of fake tan in bottle form i'd suggest going for the oompa loompa look, those tablets could not be great for your insides to be quite honest.

if it was me, i'd go as a milk bottle, lash on the sun cream and get a proper tan.

then again i don't really trust sun cream as i had loads on it over the weekend and still managed to get scorched at a certain event.

i'd really like to hear other opinions on these tablets as it's the first i've ever heard of such a thing, but the first reaction is they can't be good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You don't get a "tan" from beta carotene, it just turns your skin sort of orange. You'll still burn if you don't wear sun cream out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Thanks for the replies so far
    You'll still burn if you don't wear sun cream out there.

Theres no fear of me buring as my original post points out i ALWAYS wear suncream
    You don't get a "tan" from beta carotene, it just turns your skin sort of orange.

Friend of mine "assured" me that this wouldnt happen but being orange is my worst fear, have u used beta carotene????
    i'd suggest going for the oompa loompa look

going for the oompa look was the choice i made on a trip to Lanzarote but after the first day by the pool and down the beach all the tan was gone and i was back to normal, seems salt and water a la the sea is the best way to remove fake tan,

i cant face applying fake tan as well as suncream and sftersun for my entire holiday, doesnt seem like much of a rest!! LOL and i dont think my boyfrind would be too happy cuddling up to a freshly fake tanned me each night!!!

I just dont tan at all.....i burn and go back to milk bottle in a space of 2 days......rage!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

A friend of mine used those tanning tablets before going on hols to Greece last year. She'd be a normal Irish colour but she wears fake tan all the time. Anyway she took the tablets and they turned her a kind of Indian colour - like she went very very dark brown. She got so freaked out because she was going so brown that she didn't go out in the sun again for a week!!! Don't think she'll use them again coz it was just overkill really!

Anyway, you won't burn if you use a high enough SPF and apply it regularly. Keep out of the midday sun and let your skin gradually get the bronzed effect. I'm about as pale as white paint but I never wear fake tan. I'm heading on hols soon but I don't really care that I'll be the whitest person on the beach. At the end of the day if you don't tan much then your skin is all the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think they just make your skin more photosensitive or something and promote the production of melonin, I can't imagine it's very good for you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Try Piz Buin tanning stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

wouldnt it depend on your own colour pigments and such? Like as tinkerbell said, her friend went really dark but id imagine the reaction would be different for everyone...I dont think theres any reply that will tell you exactly what will happen to you. Although i agree with Cremo, it can't be good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Cant you try the new moisturiser type tan, from Johnson and Johnson and those sorts? And then when you get there stay out of the sun or put loads of factor 50 on?

"I just dont tan at all.....i burn and go back to milk bottle in a space of 2 days......rage!!!"

I'll tell you, if you dont tan, you'll never tan. It is beyond me why people will literally sizzle trying to get a tan, expecially when the KNOW that they will never get a tan. I dont tan at all and I couldnt careless - I go on sun holidays but stay out of the sun.

Im not looking to be golden brown cos i know its never going to happen i just want to look like ive been away
    I go on sun holidays but stay out of the sun.

i cant understand that to be honest..i mind my skin when im away, applying sun cream regularly, staying in shade around 12 and use after sun but the people on the beach in massive hats hiding under umbrellas in t-shirts and shorts make me laugh, cant understand why they come to the sun at all

Try Piz Buin tanning stuff.

have never tries piz buin, is it not very dark?? dark skinned friend of mine uses it alot but i usually use lancome cos its fairer
    Cant you try the new moisturiser type tan, from Johnson and Johnson and those sorts

have tried them all and think the Dove is better but they really do just wash off as soon as you hit the pool, tanned before i went away last year and a friend got spray tanned professionally and as soon as we'd spent one day by the pool/beach we were as white as snow again

im not trying to look extremely tanned just healthy looking, pale sickly look is not a good look imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

i cant understand that to be honest..i mind my skin when im away, applying sun cream regularly, staying in shade around 12 and use after sun but the people on the beach in massive hats hiding under umbrellas in t-shirts and shorts make me laugh, cant understand why they come to the sun at all

To enjoy the heat, the lack of rain, the warm water, the company, the cheap flights, they can't ski etc.,?

Do you go on holidays just for a tan?

• Advertisement

No i dont go on holidays just for the tan but the people who hide away from the sun seem to hate it so much that i cant understand why they are there at all!!

One thing there, I dont hate the sun at all.

I just wasnt made for tanning.

So, what I have learned over the years is that if I dont tan, there is no point in being directly in the sun, seeking a tan.

I would prefer to remain pale, as opposed to getting burnt and risking skin cancer or taking those tablet things you are on about and my insides turning orange :eek:.

BTW, if you stay out of the sun, you will probably get less wrinkles etc in the future. Ive seen some people in their 30s look like leather handbags.

Thats my take on it anyways. But I even wear SPF in winter (yes you can get sun damage in winter too).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Im not looking to be golden brown cos i know its never going to happen i just want to look like ive been away

what the hell is this obsession with 'looking like i've been away'.

everybody knows you're going on holidays, you've booked time off work, and probably told all your friends, why the **** do you need to look like you've been away? you've been away, its bloody pointless.

there was a girl in our school who always wore lots of makeup and fake tan after she got back from holidays, and its was always very obvious. who the **** cares whether it looks like you were away or not? tanning is not the only ****ing reason people go on holidays.

you dont tan, accept it and move on ffs!

Language Language!!!!!!

Tut tut tut!!

dellas1979 wrote:

So, what I have learned over the years is that if I dont tan, there is no point in being directly in the sun, seeking a tan.

I would prefer to remain pale, as opposed to getting burnt and risking skin cancer or taking those tablet things you are on about and my insides turning orange :eek:.

BTW, if you stay out of the sun, you will probably get less wrinkles etc in the future. Ive seen some people in their 30s look like leather handbags.

Thats my take on it anyways. But I even wear SPF in winter (yes you can get sun damage in winter too).

I never said that you hate the sun i said that people who do the extreme hiding that i described act like they hate the sun.

I also never said that i was going to use the tanning tablets......the very fact that ive posted this thread highlights that im concerned about my health because im asking about them before i even consider taking them

I also know that the sun makes you age and can give you cancer and also that you still feel the effects of the sun on a cloudy day or in winter.............as i have pointed out on this thread many times i mind my skin and apply suncream and use moisturiser with spf all year round.............................explains why my skin is so clear and i look younger than my years!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

This reminds me of the child in some part of the UK who drank gallons of an orange drink. He looked like an oompa lumpa. I guess that it puts pressure on the liver, not good.

I too am of the milk bottle skin tone and it sucks. Where do you get the tablets, a health food store?

Welcome Pokerwidow!
    Finally a post that doesnt curse or slate me!!!

Beta Carotene is just a normal herbal remedy about €8-€10 for a bottle of tablets

The actual tanning tablets are a mixture of more ingredients mainly including Beta Carotene and are far more expensive €50-60 for a course i think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'd love to try these as it's more difficult to apply fake tan during your holiday as you're so busy all the time.
    Report back if you use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

dellas1979 wrote:

My attitude exactly. I don't tan either so I prefer to stay pale and interesting - at least that way, I stand out amongst all the orange girls on Grafton St.! I love the sun; unfortunately, it just doesn't love me as musch as I love it ;)

OP, I reckon a good fake tan or something like holiday skin might be a safer alternative to tablets - that way, you're ionly altering the outsde of your body, not doing God-knows-what to your insides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The idea of a 'holiday' sometimes sounds nominal doesn't it.

People seem to spend the whole time worrying before, during and after about coming back a certain color. :D

• Advertisement

If you " Theres no fear of me buring as my original post points out i ALWAYS wear suncream"

How comes you "burn and go back to milk bottle in a space of 2 days"

?

"but the people on the beach in massive hats hiding under umbrellas in t-shirts and shorts make me laugh, cant understand why they come to the sun at all"

You are contradicting what you are saying. I am one of those people you describe, so Im telling you, its not that they hate the sun that they are doing this. And its not that they are wasting their money going on a sun holiday. There is more to life than getting a tan:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I'd use these tablets..where would one get them? i think a friends of mine used them before, must ask her about them.
    I hate putting on fake tan, i hate the way it looks when its coming off...i hate being "pale and interesting" whats so fecking interesting about being pale..i know people dont look at me and say "well, she's pale, and she must be intersting"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I agree with Femmy.....i hate being pale too. Without some sort of tan i look like death warmed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Femmy wrote:
    I'd use these tablets..where would one get them? i think a friends of mine used them before, must ask her about them.

I've seen them being sold in places like Natures Way and Nourish and health food stores like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I am going to get them at the weekend. I will try them for a week and report back. Sure they won't kill me. Obviously it would help if we had sunshine down here :mad:

Thanks for the last few replies there femmy, Leanne, pokerwidow and Malteaser......its nice to get people who dont take a simple thread personally and start picking every tiny bit of my posts apart!!
    I am going to get them at the weekend. I will try them for a week and report back. Sure they won't kill me.

Pokerwidow i applaude you.....cant wait to hear how you get on....to be honest ive been a little afraid to take them...not because my insides might go orange (they're just a tablet of a nutrient in carrots and other foods we regularly eat) but afraid because i often get allergies for no apparent reason and i have to be very careful with what i eat

Like Femmy and Leanne (i officially love you guys for backing me up!!) i too dont feel very "interesting" being pale, I dont want to be "orange like people on Grafton St" as somebody pointed out (each to their own i say!) but rather a healthy colour, pale to me, for me and for others ends up looking sickly

I left my dove off for a few days there as ive a big party at the weekend and wanted to pamper myself in prep on friday night and upon bearing my pale skin a friend said God you look terribly ill are you feeling ok!! :eek:...........................................not my idea of a good look!!!

so slate me and argue with me all you like or express interest and suppost like others (thanks again you angels) but as ive said EACH TO THEIR OWN!!!

Dallas1979.....i get your point....you disagree with the tablets but im far to old and busy to have petty little discussions like this where you pick at every post i make.....you've made your point..i only posted for advice and past experiences of the tablets

Thanks

This is meant in the lightest sense possible, but I couldnt careless if you took the tablets, turned orange and keeled over - means nothing to me.

First post I offered advice, to which you started to get defensive. No need for this.

Enjoy your holidays!

Most people get defensive when every tiny word they say is being picked apart....its human nature!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭plissken

OP dont bother tanning pills simply do not work no matter what anyone says your tan is dependent on two things and two things only
    1. your genetics and
    2. your level of exposure to uv light.

your diet simple does not come in to account AT ALL these pills will do nothing for you whatsoever if they did the likes of piz buin would simply stop wasting there time and money developing fake tans when all they would have to do is bring out a pill that does the same thing.lots of info here regarding them http://www.sunless.com/safe/tanningpillsdontwork.php

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement