Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Further EU expansion: Turkey

Options
  • 09-07-2007 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this is too political to put here, so mods, please fell free to move it around.

I was having a discussion with mates earlier regards immigrants from the newer Eastern countries in the EU. The conversation quickly moved on to Turkey's potential membership. Personally, I think the country there is of a different mind-set to the rest of us, that and they aren't really in Europe at all.

What think ye?

Should Turkey be let in? 126 votes

Yeah, sure. Why not?
    0%
    Nope, only 3% of their land is in Europe.
    19%
    PHBBottle_of_SmokeKevokStargalChips LovellHelterSkelterwespatrickoleerobinphstevedublinMuccomdebetsAlvisdigitally-yoursParsleyInFrontnonbelievermountainymanchapod21zen63 25 votes
    No. They just don't fit in with the European way.
    19%
    phoenix2181WintersAgent SmithBrian017NightwishAttolphilologosjjbrieneddycBinomatetolosencZebra3pokerwidowsingingstrangertroutHugglesphasers[Deleted User]davyjoseshrapnel222 24 votes
    Let that 3% in and test the EU Rapid-Response Force's ability to sort out a Civil War.
    59%
    StephenMossy MonkKintarō HattoriNeMiSiSgurramoklaykeKaromaWackerJamboXcom2BlistermansnickerpusslukegriffenTiestodeadduckSleepy[Deleted User]NuttzzmonkeyfudgeBeer is Life 75 votes
    Atari Jaguar.
    1%
    User45701Fad 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think you'll find that a lot of people's objection to Turkey joining isn't geographical, but rather their record on human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,980 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Let that 3% in and test the EU Rapid-Response Force's ability to sort out a Civil War.
    I'm not too well up on Turkey at the moment, but don't they have a long way to go until their way of thinking comes around to the EU's way of thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

A definite no human rights atrocious there in asia not europe, and there predominately muslim with all the ridiculous things that brings too.
    I have lived in both Germany and Holland in towns and cities with large Turkish populations and they dont integrate well they as agroup can be very nasty and intimidating dont learn the local language and in general despise the west except of course the jobs and money.
    One benefit is they do nice kebabs Europe spent centuries getting them out lets keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Voted for the second option. Same reason as Cyprus should never have been let in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

sickpuppy wrote:
    I have lived in both Germany and Holland in towns and cities with large Turkish populations and they dont integrate well .

No chance that the fact that the Turks aren't well integrated in Germany could be something to do with the Germans? They carried out a pretty successful genocide of a very well integrated ethnic minority a little while ago didn't they? Considering that Neo Nazism is on the rise in Germany and they are burning Turkish children to death there if I were a Turk in Germany I'd rather intimidate than assimilate.

That said given the behaviour of the Turkish security forces in ethnic Kurdish areas (right now) and the strong ultranationalist strain in Turkey I don't think that Turkey can be allowed into the EU. Also I am not certain that it would be that beneficial for the Turks.

As for their having a different mindset from the rest of Europe; I hope that's true for every country variety is the nature of Europe and the reason why we are lucky to be from this continent.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

The European Union is tied together for the most part by common goals and ideals, many of which are not shared by Turkey. I vote no.
    The prominent role of the army in public life, Ankara's refusal to recognise the Republic of Cyprus and its slow human rights reforms have all harmed its cause.

"Hi, we'd like to be a member of your group, one thing though, we won't recognize one of your other members, it doesn't work for us!"

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rollie

The last thing Europe needs is another country thats so close to America. We should be supporting our already existing members e.g. Greece, and make them sort out the cypriot situation before we even consider starting talks. With regards to their mindset, from talking to a Turk in Turkey i got the understanding that they supported (now this was only one man but he generalised for his country) the american way of dealing with both domestic and foreign terrorism....i.e., a simplistic veiw of a war, rather then a more spanish and english view, i.e., yes a military intervention is needed but primary socio-economic appeasement approach is essential combined with strict police (and military if necessary) reactions to instances of terrorism and it takes a very long time to change minds.

not sure if that last sentence made any sence, but its monday morning and i have only had one cup o' coffee

rollie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Ireland Land area is 32,591 Square miles Thanks including NI/B] !

Turkey land area is 302,535 Square miles

If Israel can be in EURO Vision than why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

obl wrote:
    Personally, I think the country there is of a different mind-set to the rest of us,

How do you come to that conclusion? Have you ever been there? And I'm talking about being in one of the major cities, Istanbul for example.

In fairness Turkey is more than the major cities.

I think by the time the country peters out into Kurdistan you do have a very different mindset (the Yezid for example). But don't we have very different mindsets all over Europe? Don't the Lapps have a very different midset, fundamentalist Irish protestantism 'is a very different mindset'.

I think what Turkey needs is a process of joining or nearly joining the EU. Which would strengthen the Rule of Law and democracy. Look at the Hrant Dink affair. I think that you could have something like that in EU countries like maybe the Baltic states but it is very problematic.

Turkey should also be targeted for protests like Israel is not because human rights abuses in Turkey are worse than its neighbours (Syria, Iran and Iraq) ; but because protests might change the behaviour of state forces in Eastern Turkey/Kurdistan.

Again Turkey needs a process for joining the EU but they are a long way away.

The EU needs a stable Turkey.

MM

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

No chance that the fact that the Turks aren't well integrated in Germany could be something to do with the Germans? They carried out a pretty successful genocide of a very well integrated ethnic minority a little while ago didn't they? Considering that Neo Nazism is on the rise in Germany and they are burning Turkish children to death there if I were a Turk in Germany I'd rather intimidate than assimilate.

That said given the behaviour of the Turkish security forces in ethnic Kurdish areas (right now) and the strong ultranationalist strain in Turkey I don't think that Turkey can be allowed into the EU. Also I am not certain that it would be that beneficial for the Turks.

As for their having a different mindset from the rest of Europe; I hope that's true for every country variety is the nature of Europe and the reason why we are lucky to be from this continent.

MM

Can you post anything without alluding to the second world war?Its over..germany came second.

Stalking much Degsy?

The poster I quoted claimed that Turks aren't integrated in Germany; I just pointed out that they burn Turks in Germany and assimilation isn't worth much there.

Anyway Germany didn't come second they came last.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're as bad as China and US when it comes to human rights.

They're nothing like as bad as China. I don't know how you can say the USA is as bad as China.

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Where will the EU stop expanding? I assume their ultimate aim is to encompass North Africa and further into the middle east. It's going to cause major tension in the existing European countries, there are already signs of tension in Holland and France over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

The poster I quoted claimed that Turks aren't integrated in Germany; I just pointed out that they burn Turks in Germany and assimilation isn't worth much there.

MM

Where did you get that enlightened insight from? Have you seen all the huge stakes where "they burn Turks"? Jayze, mind your "mind-set"!

Assimilation isn't much worth among the Turkish community in Europe. They stick together, despise Western culture and insist on their medieval Muslim rules. Most of them. The educated ones are different, they integrate easily. They speak the language and engage in local, national and European politics, teach at schools and whatever, without betraying their roots.

Integration always goes both ways, but the majority of the Turks in Germany certainly prefer to bring their little Turkey to Germany and elsewhere. They do not embrace their new home country. A fact that won't change when Turkey, in her current state at least, joins the EU.

And as well you know that a change in politics of a country doesn't change the attitude of their ordinary people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

No chance that the fact that the Turks aren't well integrated in Germany could be something to do with the Germans? They carried out a pretty successful genocide of a very well integrated ethnic minority a little while ago didn't they? Considering that Neo Nazism is on the rise in Germany and they are burning Turkish children to death there if I were a Turk in Germany I'd rather intimidate than assimilate. MM

Any links to this burning of Turkish children to death? Define a little while ago too :rolleyes: More than 60 years seems like quite a long time to me.

I don't believe that Turkey should be let into the EU, mainly because of their record on human rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Based on the Human Right's record, I dont think they should be let into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

When I lived in Germany, the one thing that stuck me was the amazing amount of war guilt the Germans still have. People whose parents weren't even born during the war have it. You make it sound like it's still the 1930s over there when nothing could be further from the truth. The actions of a minority of skinheads do not reflect the German people.

We should not forget the Holocaust but you have to get over your obsession with it, mountainyman. Take up a hobby or go for a long walk or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Degsy wrote:
    Can you post anything without alluding to the second world war?Its over..germany came second.

Actually, they came third, after Japan :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

When their human rights match up etc. I don't really care where they geographically are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Does it matter what we think? I mean, they're being let in regardless. It's not as if this is a democracy and the people of Ireland were consulted about it. Given some of the opinions on here that is probably best to be honest.

There are some pretty hilarious views in this old article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/3683204.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Atari Jaguar.
    But they eat their young in turkey!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I just don't see Turkey as being european, I think western Russia has more in common with us than them. I like Sarkozy's idea of having special treaties and having a special relationship with them, but not membership.

agamemnon wrote:

We should not forget the Holocaust but you have to get over your obsession with it, mountainyman. Take up a hobby or go for a long walk or something.

If I'm told that Turks in Germany have not integrated (a point that I don't concede btw) I think that it is specious to assume that the problem is all one way. The Germans retain a notion of citizenship based on blood, in other words it is easier for a Volga German whose parents emigrated (if that is not misleading) from Germany (if that is not anachronistic) in the seventeenth century to become a German citizen than it is for a person whose parents are Turkish but who was born in Germany to become a German citizen.

The Germans might claim to feel guilty about the war but their behaviour with regard to trying to obtain property in Poland, the Czech Republic and points east gives that the lie.

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

They're nothing like as bad as China. I don't know how you can say the USA is as bad as China.

MM
    ohh yes there is a place worse than China. North Korea!!! Turkey should not be allowed into the EU I voted for the second option as only 3% of the country is in Europe. Also thier polcies are far diffrent that the EU's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

If I'm told that Turks in Germany have not integrated (a point that I don't concede btw) I think that it is specious to assume that the problem is all one way. The Germans retain a notion of citizenship based on blood, in other words it is easier for a Volga German whose parents emigrated (if that is not misleading) from Germany (if that is not anachronistic) in the seventeenth century to become a German citizen than it is for a person whose parents are Turkish but who was born in Germany to become a German citizen.

The Germans might claim to feel guilty about the war but their behaviour with regard to trying to obtain property in Poland, the Czech Republic and points east gives that the lie.

MM

So there is handful of die-hards who want their property back? That's "THE Germans" then? So there are some die-hards in Ireland who still fight the Brits? All Irish people are terrorist then?

The Turks can get German citizenship if they want to. Same procedure as here in Ireland btw. re citizenship. But in Germany you can't have double citizenship, you have to choose which one. The majority of Turks insist on their Turkish citizenship, even when born and bred in Germany and hardly capable to speak Turkish anymore. They don't want to be Germans and insist on their culture, whatever that means. The simply reject western values. So there.

Moutainy, you have to get your facts straight before you spread hearsay prejudices. Or stop watching the endless BBC-documentaries about Nazi-Germany. The Britons are obsessed with Hitler and the Nazis and simply can't let go. Would be too much of an effort to think that the Germans nowadays are modern Europeans - and much more aware of their history than you.

Maybe you should, unlike the Brits, adopt a more highbrow approach to that matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, they should not join the EU. They are not even geographically in Europe and 3% of land doesn't wash as an argument to join.

Their human rights record is appalling, nevermind the denying of the Armenian genocide, some 12m of their population is Kurdish with very limited rights and restrictions on culture, language etc.

Recently, Turkey is thinking of invading northern Iraq, hardly a country acting democratically!(nevermind the US! :D)

Turkey belongs to the Middle East club and should form an equivalent EU with its neighbours to foster growth on its economy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

MM

as far as I'm aware, a large amount of the turkish community in Germany hold German passports.. I take it that would qualify as German citizenship?

Advertisement