Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro West - Route Chosen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where does this desire to move the population of Tallaght to the airport come from? Is someone trying to give the poor Tallaghteans a hint? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where does this desire to move the population of Tallaght to the airport come from? Is someone trying to give the poor Tallaghteans a hint? :D
    yes it's a Tallaght Ban.

Goes through lots of other lower rent areas too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

What exactly is the point of this route? Who exactly is it supposed to serve? The only point I can see is to drive development along the northern part of the corridor. It's a pretty slow way to get from Tallaght to anywhere. It looks like lip-service public transport to me. The people living in these areas would be better with fast and direct bus routes to the city centre, airport and major suburban centres.

I agree with you, speed is crucial and if MetW is slower than a comparative journey along the M50, people are just not going to give up their cars, and who can blame them?

Tallaght would be best served by a metro to the city centre, via Templeogue, Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines, bringing high quality transport to areas of the city that have the population density to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Yes, Templeogue, Terenure, Rathgar, Crumlin, Coolock, Finglas, Beaumont, Artane are not getting rail transport while the focus is on more sprawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I asked the RPA to explain why the NAC route was chosen over the ITB route. They sent me this thorough reply.
    I was a bit disappointed to see cost being a factor to reduce the usefulness of the route.
    RPA wrote:
    RPA appraised the various route options for Metro West under the following headings: Economy, Costs/Funding, Safety, Integration, Accessibility and Social Inclusion, Environment, Constructability and Public and Stakeholder support.

Combinations of routes were also considered (e.g. Route 1 to Porterstown
    and Route 2 to Airport etc.)

RPA considered many submissions received during the public consultation process and in all in excess of 850 formal submission were received. The majority of submissions favoured route option 1 in both the Fingal and South Dublin Area.

The route that emerged has been a mix of the rotes initiallyproposed.
    Although primarily Route Option 1 it uses a sub-option through Clondalkin and a Hybrid of the 2 routes south of Dublin Airport.

Route 1 in the Fingal Area emerged as the strongest under the appraisal criteria for many reasons that can be summarised as the following:

It was the shortest and thus quickest less costly
    It served Blanchardstown Centre more directly
    It serves Blanchardstown Village, James Connolly Memorial Hospital and the expanding sports campus area at Abbottstown
    It is easier to construct and integrates more effectively with the planning objectives of the local authority

A number of other considerations were also considered. It was recognised that ITB was an attractive area to serve, however an appropriate stop location on Route 1 would place ITB within walking distance, which is generally acceptable for able-bodied students. This was offset against greater access to James Connolly Memorial Hospital. Additionally there was no discernable difference in catchments between the two routes.

The industrial lands at Ballycoolin and Blanchardstown whilst closer to Route Option 1 would for the most part still be somewhat remote, particularly since much of the new development is likely to occur to the West and North West. This would likely mean that the industrial lands would most likely require some bus connection to Metro West (even on Route 2). This bus connection can operate in any event to Abbottstown and could also serve Tyrrellstown en route to Metro.

The preferred route for Metro West indicates a route running through playing pitches at Verona Football Club. RPA is now beginning consultation based on design for this route and is investigating options for the alignment that might avoid impact on these playing pitches. RPA will be exploring these options in more detail with the relevant stakeholders over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

To be honest, this really pisses me off. Lucan, for quite some time was the fastest growing suburb in Europe. We still have no rail transport line. The Railway station at Adamstown is useless for Lucan because the traffic to get to the station is so bad. This will be the same, as you will have to drive from Lucan to Liffey Valley or Clondalkin in order to get it. Why couldn't they have diverted it by a few km to stop at the Penny Hill and Lucan Village?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Because there is plans for a Luas for Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Zebra3 wrote:
    Because there is plans for a Luas for Lucan.

LUAS, this bloody word is starting to wreck my head!!!!!!!!
    Some people see Luas as the answer to all Dublin traffic problems. It's not. The RPA are being allowed to put these relatively low capacity Trams everywhere. Lucan needs a higher capacity alternative (Heavy Rail link preferably).
    Just look at the Red Luas Line. Just imagine the difference if this was a proper heavy rail line. Less Crowding, and more cars off the roads!!!! Sure it would have cost loads more €€€€€, but worth it!!!

Metro west is a ridiculous project. It's just a slow Luas, which (for some reason) has been given higher priority than it deserves!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Skyhater wrote:
    LUAS, this bloody word is starting to wreck my head!!!!!!!! <snip>

I agree with everything you said. The Luas is fine but it is just a low cost solution DART (I know what springs to mind but...) or other heavy rail is what Dublin needs. Not overcrowded trams everywhere.

I believe Lucan luas will join up with the red line somewhere in the city, this is only going to make things worse on the red line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

paulm17781 wrote:
    I believe Lucan luas will join up with the red line somewhere in the city, this is only going to make things worse on the red line.
    I though the Lucan Luas has it's own alignment in the city centre (coming down Dame St into college green)????

Anyway, don't want to stray too much off topic!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Skyhater wrote:
    I though the Lucan Luas has it's own alignment in the city centre (coming down Dame St into college green)????

I can see the hill on Dame st., outside City hall being an issue.

Luas and Metro west are both prime examples of the "Ah sure it'll do" attitude. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If Metro west served Clonsilla rather than Porterstown it would offer 1-change to Maynooth, An Lar and Dunboyne/Navan. Pity, but I guess there's too much development to find a route now.

As for Lucan, in the short term BRT shuttle to Adamstown and Clonsilla would provide excellent connectivity to Dublin and points west and south. All you'd have to do is bulldoze a right of way through those golf courses to the north. I'm not a total killjoy - it could be cut and cover - but how would the rules of golf deal with ventilation grill?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dowlingm wrote:
    If Metro west served Clonsilla rather than Porterstown it would offer 1-change to Maynooth, An Lar and Dunboyne/Navan. Pity, but I guess there's too much development to find a route now.
    There will be a new heavy rail station at Porterstown (under the bridge that goes over the canal and train line). That will offer 1-change to Maynooth/city/Dunboyne, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

daymobrew wrote:
    There will be a new heavy rail station at Porterstown (under the bridge that goes over the canal and train line). That will offer 1-change to Maynooth/city/Dunboyne, right?
    Depends on IE. I remember reading that Dunboyne or Navan or both trains won't stop at Porterstown. Could all change of course. Porterstown will be a handy place to live next to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine the alternative stopping is based on the current regime of not enough rolling stock, level crossings affecting journey times, etc. Things will change with electrification, new bridges, etc.

Advertisement