Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro West - Route Chosen

Options
  • 05-07-2007 1:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Option 1 has been chosen..

The one that goes through Clondalkin rather than Lucan, and hugs the M50 more on the north side.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0705/metro.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Route Option 1 seems better than Route Option 2 because at Blanchardstown it branches off into a weird direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I wonder will it ever get built.

2014 seems so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Are there existing stations where the MW intersects the Kildare and Maynooth lines or are new stations gonna be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

Very hard to tell but looks like it crosses over Kildare line near Adamstown station and Maynooth line near Coolmine St.
    Need a hi-res picture to see for sure.

Edit: for crap spelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Well, it'll be underground, so I'd doubt they'll bother linking them up with these lines for another couple of decades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

ongarite wrote:
    Very hard to tell but looks like it crosses over Kildare line near Adamstown station and Maynooth line near Coolmine St.

It's going to cross the Maynooth Line at Porterstown. A new DART station is due to be built there.
    The real question is if they build two separate stations "close" to each other or one integrated station!!! We all know what the answer should be!!!
    krinpit wrote:
    Well, it'll be underground, so I'd doubt they'll bother linking them up with these lines for another couple of decades.
    It's not going to be underground..... It going to run at Grade with the exception of a few Tunnels and Bridges. It will interact with Traffic at "minor" junctions. Basically it's not a Metro, It's a Luas!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

RTE.ie wrote:
    Metro West is expected to carry 20 million passengers a year and make it possible to travel from Tallaght to the Airport in under an hour.
    Under an hour for a journey of 17 miles which the AA says takes 20 minutes to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the important thing is - will it go near IKEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Route Option 1 seems better than Route Option 2 because at Blanchardstown it branches off into a weird direction...
    One route trashes Verona FC football pitches beside the Fingal County Council offices at Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. It then serves the mad busy :rolleyes: NAC.
    The other route serves the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown and the nearby corporate parks (including eBay) and then passes Abbotstown, which could be used by NAC users.

As the announcement only explicitly mentions the Clondalkin/Lucan segment, I'll keep my fingers cross that the ITB route will be chosen over the NAC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Indeed it seems a shame to miss out serving ITB seeing as ITT and DCU will be served by metro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it planned to be underground going into and out of the Blanch SC? With all the chaos that is the traffic around there it's hard to see how they can get a Luas ni and out successfully overground unless they're billing it up over the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

Victor wrote:

There are 2 hopes of that being finished by 2014. 7years. The Luas extension to Citywest has been in planning for a couple of years and still wont be open until 2010. At least 5 years from proposal. And that completely paid for privately. If its done by 2020 it will be a miracle. (They actually changed the signs for the Citywest Luas AFTER the election from planned completion 2008 to 2010.. They have a neck like a jockeys bollo*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

daymobrew wrote:
    The other route serves the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown and the nearby corporate parks (including eBay) and then passes Abbotstown, which could be used by NAC users.

That route makes the most sense but really that could the reason why they choose the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Once they move it as far away from the village as possible the traffic flow shouldn't increase. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

RTE wrote:
    Metro West is being hailed as the rail equivalent of the M50.

LOL (no need to point out the obvious)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

loyatemu wrote:
    the important thing is - will it go near IKEA?

From the looks of it, not as near as Metro North will.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

now here is a stupid post - where exactly is IKEA going to be? <ducks before getting slapped with a wet trout>

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

IKEA will be here.. in the centre of this map. Basically west of the ballymun road where it meets the M50.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.407242,-6.269352&spn=0.005142,0.012853&z=17&om=1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LOL (no need to point out the obvious)
    Indeed. It'll probably come to halt just after the Liffey Valley stop and wait for all of the passengers to pay an extra €2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ongarite wrote:

It crosses the Kildare line at the future Fonthill Road station which is part of the Kildare Route Project. It's Coolmine Road not street!

Who said MW was underground?? Even if it was full metro (which it isn't) it still wouldn't need to be. Much of its route will run through countryside or along major distributor roads with infrequent cross streets.

There's a few issues I have with its route. Is it going to take the diversions into Clondalkin vill and Liffey Valley carpark? And how are they going to get it into these, will it be elevated? LV is difficult because if you head east to get into it from Fonthill Road, you then have to do a U-turn to get back west for Porterstown. And I agree that it should take the Blanch IT option up at the northern end, not running past the Aquatic centre. Unless they plan on developing that big landbank there alongside the M50 next to it. In general I think the green Option 2 is better up the north, it also runs along Harristown Lane alonside the airport which is better than Option 1 which uselessly hugs the M50 where no one has pedestrian access to the route. So I'd go Option 1 as far as Porterstown and Option 2 after that.

What does everyone think of the disconnect at the Square? There's about a 500m walk between the Luas and the start of MW? As the maths teacher said, Integration, Integration, Integration!

Also maybe this is scaremongering but there are certain sections where it might need to be protected (e.g. elevated) due to the possibility of vandalism or other anti-social behaviour. Burned out cars are still a common enough sight in Ronanstown (area immediately south of LV).

When they say 2014 they mean the date for the final Blanch-Ballyer section. According to T21 phase one, Tallaght-Clondalkin, was supposed to open in 2010. This seems very optimistic for a new unproven system (yes, I know it's the same as Luas basically, but for operational purposes it's a new system.) Agreed that the whole lot will probably take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What exactly is the point of this route? Who exactly is it supposed to serve? The only point I can see is to drive development along the northern part of the corridor. It's a pretty slow way to get from Tallaght to anywhere. It looks like lip-service public transport to me. The people living in these areas would be better with fast and direct bus routes to the city centre, airport and major suburban centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Has anyone noticed how windy it is? I suspect these lads had an input.

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=9442&lang=ENG&loc=2126
    Dempsey Announces Selected Route for Metro West
    5 July 2007

* To accommodate in excess of 20 million passengers per year
    * Under 30 minutes from Blanchardstown to Dublin Airport
    * Under 60 minutes from Tallaght to Dublin Airport
    * Trains every 4 to 5 minutes at peak hours

Noel Dempsey TD, Minister for Transport and Maritime Affairs today (Thursday 5th July 2007) announced the next phase in the development of a Metro system for Dublin under the Government's Transport 21 investment programme. This new 25km route, known as Metro West, will operate from Tallaght through Clondalkin, Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown linking with Metro North at Metropark, south of Dublin Airport.

Following a detailed public consultation exercise which involved the consideration of two possible route options, the Board of the Railway Procurement Agency (RPA) chose the Metro West route being announced today.

Speaking today Minister Dempsey said: "West Dublin has seen some of the most intense growth in housing and other development in recent times with all of the challenges that this brings. Metro West will facilitate the residents of West Dublin and it will accommodate in excess of 20 million passengers per yearthus removing a considerable volume of car journeys from the road network. It will be a modern, attractive and highly accessible transit system for Dublin commuters to enjoy.Park and Ride sites at strategic locations such as Blanchardstown, Huntstown and Liffey Valley, in addition to existing Park and Ride at Luas and Metro North will facilitate car drivers from beyond the Metro West catchment area to transfer to public transport."

Metro West will run on the surface and the tracks will be separate from road traffic. It will cross road junctions in a similar manner to Luas, although bridges will be required at major roads, railways and other crossings. It will have up to 20 stops for passengers who want to make the journey between Tallaght East and Metropark, south of Dublin Airport. Among the stops under consideration are: Tallaght East, Belgard, St. Brigid's, Clondalkin, Fonthill, Rowlagh, Liffey Valley, Porterstown, Millennium Park, Blanchardstown, National Aquatic Centre, Abbotstown, Huntstown, Meakstown, Silloge, Harristown, and Metropark, where it will join with Metro North.

Construction of Metro West is due to be completed in 2014, subject to the successful obtaining of a Railway Order (i.e. Planning permission) from An Bord Pleanála. It is estimated that construction of Metro West will take up to five years.

Minister Dempsey concluded: "Metro West can act as a catalyst for urban and suburban regeneration similar to the experience on Luas. Investment will be attracted into the areas served by the Metro and the potential will open up for the development of new commercial and service facilities along its route."

Map of Metro West attached below:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote:
    Phasing? Date for breaking ground? I'd have liked more info. They say it'll take 5 years to build - I wonder if they're still going with the phasing given when T21 was announced. Also I note that according to the map, they're going to close the gap with Luas red line at the Square. That's good.

Anto, I assure you that QBCs, though they're definitely part of the solution, would not be enough for west Dublin. For starters, we need lots more Liffey crossings. There's the Lucan bridge, the M50, and that's it. I used to get a Dualway coach from Blanch Centre to Liffey Valley and the journey time at peak was 90 mins. This is because without using the M50, a journey across the Liffey at this point still involves long trips down windy lanes. Thankfully I only did it for a month.

I certainly don't think it's lip-service public transport, it would be faster than driving in many cases, and faster than the existing bus services in all cases.

So build some bridges. Why not do this? Money is obviously not an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what is the point of building it along the M50, off peak it's slower and goes to the same areas.

Is it to get people out of their cars, if so don't forget that the people who use the M50 don't necessarily live within 2Km of it. A more original route might be appropiate, since you could put buses on the M50 tomorrow ( if you had buses and drivers ) It won't free up traffic heading to the M50 from further afield.

You could have it run along the M50 using existing grade separations and land and park n' ride. Just have it detour to the populated areas every junction. Save a whole bunch of money and planning permission hassles.

Yup, I think I described a plan for this before. Would cost about EUR 100m by my reckoning, between civils and vehicles. Just buses wouldn't be enough to make it work. [edit: what i meant by this was the cost of running a prioritized bus service along the m50]

One justification for Metro could be to increase density along the route. I can't see how this would work though. It just wouldn't be a strong enough counterbalance to somewhere like Swords, or Glasnevin, or even Maynooth post-Interconnector, where there would be much faster access to the city and airport.

I do agree that West Dublin badly needs more public transport, and rail should be part of that. But this just doesn't look right.

Really, we would have to see the numbers on this to understand the rationale. Are there any numbers published?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

what is the point of building it along the M50, off peak it's slower and goes to the same areas.

Peak time, not off peak matters for a good bulk of people.
    since you could put buses on the M50 tomorrow ( if you had buses and drivers )

Add more buses to the car and truck parking lot that is the M50???
    You could have it run along the M50 using existing grade separations and land and park n' ride. Just have it detour to the populated areas every junction. Save a whole bunch of money and planning permission hassles.

And that'll work with the already planned and under construction works at the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a less than serious (but pointed) thread on Metro West here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Prof_V

Really, we would have to see the numbers on this to understand the rationale. Are there any numbers published?

Well, the emerging preferred route is 25km and a figure of "up to" 20 million passengers per annum, probably for 2016 has been quoted (apparently for the better of the previous alternative alignments). Million passengers per route-km per annum is a reasonable quick-and-dirty metric for how heavily used an urban railway is; in this case, it comes out at 0.8, which is reasonable - it compares to 0.88 for the Red Line and 1.38 on the Green Line last year, and it comfortably exceeds the present figures for nearly all US light rail systems, and all British ones outside London - some of those would be considered quite successful, and pretty much all are exclusively city-centre-focused. (Incidentally, the Green Line comes out as busier than some US full metros on this criterion).

There are also the DTO figures from A Platform for Change; these are for 2016 and assume an alignment very similar to the RPA's emerging preferred route. They indicate peak-hour directional passenger flows of up to 13,000 (even the lowest-demand section between Blanch and the airport has nearly 8,000 in the busier direction) but they're an overestimate of what can actually be expected in 2016 because they assume things like Metro from the city centre to Tallaght, and demand management on the M50, that won't happen by then. However, they do show Metro West to perform respectably compared to several other parts of the network.

Of course, none of this can fully answer the question of prioritisation, but they're nevertheless helpful to some degree.

Advertisement