Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using the hard shoulder

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

corktina wrote:
    where in the ROTR does it say you can do that?
    It doesn't, nor does the ROTR say you can drive along the hard shoulder.

We know from this discussion it's illegal to drive along on the hard shoulder and we also know that the ROTR cannot contradict the law. The only legally permissable meaning of the ROTR advice is that a vehicle driver may to pull over and stop to let someone pass, should s/he choose to do so, subject to the usual constraints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is this a ten minute arguement or the full half-hour?

(it isnt an arguement, its a contradiction....)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

One annoying aspect of motorists forming a queue in the hard shoulder in advance of an exit is that law-abiding motorists are then forced to form a second queue on the left lane of the carriageway (to the right of the illegal queue).

They then have to try to merge into the slip lane where it commences while being hooted at by the muppets in the hard shoulder who assume that they are skipping the queue. :rolleyes:

(The queue for the N3 exit on the M50 southbound is a good example of this nonsense).

TBH I'd be more in favour of everyone queing in th ehard shoulder than on the carriageway. It may be technically illegal but I would argue its safer than people coming upon traffic stopped in the driving lane on a motorway. While they may be in the worng if they run into the back of the cars, personnally I'd prefer the cars be in the hard shoulder than be rear ended by someone not paying attention. This is the only time I'd advocate the use of the hard shoulder for no-breakdowns and hopefully it should be done away with when exits are upgraded on the roads to get rid of traffic lights.

One place I dont understand the junction set up is Newlands cross coming from Tallaght on the Belgard road. Every day there is a que of cars in the hard shoulder of cars trying to turn left onto the Naas road. When the hell does the light not have a constant flashign amber and a slip road (theres plenty of room) instead of the traffic having to pointlessly wait for each sequence. The bus stop could be moved to before the junction or further down the naas road.

I like nothing better to see people getting done for doing dangerous things like undertaking in hard shoulders. What I'd like to see is a raising bollard that shoots up quickly when it detects a car coming up the hard shoulder (emergency vehicles can disable it) and catapults it into the adjacent field. :)

On the "only in Ireland" comments , while I see idiot drivers every day while driving, I've also seen a lot of the police programs on sky that have plenty of videos of the exact things being given out about here happenign in the uk. Not to mention the bus lane video posted a while ago on the motors forum with the raising bollards (in Leeds iirc)

Advertisement