Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If NZ could pick a player from Ireland...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Worrytahs wrote:
    Leamy has the best hands for an Irish forward I've seen in a long long time.

Edit
    Actually Wallace has the best hands of any Irish forward right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Edit
    Actually Wallace has the best hands of any Irish forward right now.
    In the Irish team, I would say Horan followed by Flannery, after that Easterbunny.

If you are talking any Irish forward player, i.e. not in the team, I would say Heaslip has the best hands.

In the Irish team, I would say Horan followed by Flannery, after that Easterbunny.

If you are talking any Irish forward player, i.e. not in the team, I would say Heaslip has the best hands.

I agree about Heaslip. Wallace has given great passes, and caught some tricky passes that Irish forwards in the past would have knocked-on, during the last Six Nations. I think his hands are as good as the other three players you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

heaslip and wallace by far the best out of the fwds for sure......

Big mal the worst!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

POC is a bit of a donkey with the hands as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

First choice O'Driscoll.

Second... toss up between D'Arcy and O'Connell. Probably O'Connell.

Who's their 2nd choice fly-half?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

they would take o'driscoll or darcy, they have no need for o'connell when their other 2nd rows get fit.

we would take one of mccaw/jack/haymans/kelleher IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

the style of rugby that NZ play would really suit Geordan Murphy at FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nonsense, Broc has to be first choice. BOD et al, after that then.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote:
    That's an excellant point, it does as well. Total open Rugby, with big emphasis on running the right support lines.

siochain wrote:

Offensively he would suit their style, but I'm not sure his penchant for missing tackles and passing to the invisible man would suit NZ play overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

The NZ style of rugby would suit Geordan Murphy, but his style certainly wouldn't suit NZ...

daveirl wrote:

Jack and williams are 2 very competent players and would certainly not be considered a weakness.

IMO keith robinson is a very good player too but doesnt get much of a shout over there.

On the geordan murphy issue, henry would never pick him at full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

There is no way in the world that NZ would take any Irish outside back over BOD and O'Connell. We simply don't have a problem on the wing or at fullback but lack a centre of BODs quality. The same goes for loose forward- we don't need any more than we have. I would rank O'Connel ahead of Williams because he consistently does his job as a lock BUT if we can only have one it must be BOD.

daveirl wrote:
    Fair enough but Williams and Jack made O'Connell look very ordinary on the Lions tour. And before everybody blaims that on Woodward some players Jones, Peel played well and looked the part on that tour.
    In the one of the tests against NZ last year O'Connell lost the match for us throwing a poor pass which lead to an intercept a break and a scrum under our posts. He then tried to catch a ball with one hand after that scrum as far as I remember.
    He can have all the passion and athletism but sometimes basic Rugby skills can be pertinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveirl wrote:

So do you reckon (a la Paddy Johns) that allen Clarke was a better hooker than Keith Wood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

daveirl wrote:

While i totally agree with that i'd still have had him ahead of Clarke...no?:)

to do with the 2nd row situation. I think that a good lineout is just as much to do with good communication, clever lifters and a good hooker than having good 2nd rows. easterby seems to be the main organiser of the linout for irl, not POC.

New zealand lineouts aren't great cause oliver aint a very good thrower. Also i doubt that it is coached as well in the new zealand camp. shipping POC in2 the new zealand team would not cure their lineout situation IMO.

still think POC is a fantastic player for the record. better than williams but not lightyears ahead.

Pinetree, darcy would surely get in2 the nz startin 15? who's better?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Definately BOD and POC. D'Arcy and Flannery would also have pretty strong claims for starting places and would certainly be in the matchday 22.

While any of our backrow are a pretty good match for new Zealand you couldn't really say any of them would be an improvement on the current AB players especially give their prefered style of rugby. No to both wingers, FB, SH, DOC, props for sure. Perhaps ROG as cover for Carter.

My 2c anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I've yet to see POC pull a 60m spiral kick out of the bag though.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sangre wrote:

Very nice one alright: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU78OEbFf5s&mode=related&search=

POC would have no bother getting a 60m kick.

Question is which direction would it head in? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

marco_polo wrote:
    ...Flannery would also have pretty strong claims for starting places and would certainly be in the matchday 22.

I like Flannery and think he is Ireland's best hooker, but there is no way that he would have any chance of making the NZ 22 if Anton Oliver and Keven Mealamu are healthy.

Sangre wrote:

You failed to mention that everytime he has tried that since, its gone out on the full or backwards.

Linford wrote:
    I like Flannery and think he is Ireland's best hooker, but there is no way that he would have any chance of making the NZ 22 if Anton Oliver and Keven Mealamu are healthy.

Both mentioned are excellent players and having reconsidered I'd defiantely give you Mealamu at #1, however I not convinced that that Oliver is the greatest dart thrower in the world so I'd have Jerry on the bench on that basis.
    If the all black have a weakness it is at lineout time *Clutches straw tightly*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Pinetree, darcy would surely get in2 the nz startin 15? who's better?[/QUOTE]

He would certainly be in the 22 but i9f I am only allowed one player it still has to be BOD.

I agree with dave it is great to have tight forwards who can pass, run and kick but first they have to be able to secure the pill. For me POC is a better lineout forward than Williams. His problems against us when on the Lions tour came down to playing in an overall weaker pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Shane Horgan. He is a monster wing with everything, pace, power and a good touch.

All he needs to do is learn to catch the ball ...

Advertisement