Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If NZ could pick a player from Ireland...

Options
  • 02-07-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

If NZ could pick any player from Ireland who would they pick?

I would say it's a no brainer and they would go for O'Driscoll. After that not sure, D'Arcy perhaps?

An interesting question though is if they could pick any player from any team in the world, who would they pick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Think they would pick O'Driscoll even if they could pick a player from any team in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think they'd take both Centres without a doubt and Paul O' Connell

They would also look at Girvan Dempsey as well and possibly Denis Leamy.

I think those are the problem positions for them, certainly Paul O'Connell at lock considering their 'crisis' and who wouldn't want the two best centres as well. I'm not convinced with Mulliana at FB or McDonald there.

If they could pick any player from any team ? I'd think Dricco at 13, thats been the problem position for them since Umaga left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

It would definitely be the Irish centres. If they were looking elsewhere in the world for players it would probably only be at 12 13 and 15. At the moment they have a few injuries at second row, but this might be resolved by the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

yeah it would be 2 centres and POC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

daveirl wrote:
    They play a game where forwards need to be able to pass and offload the ball, I don't think Leamy or POC fit the bill here.
    They would much rather other 2nd rows IMO. Maybe with some intensive training and ball work they would walk onto it but right now I would say Flannery would the Munster player closest to making the All Black team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Shane Horgan. He is a monster wing with everything, pace, power and a good touch. They would also pick as mentioned POC, BOD and Darcy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

They play a game where forwards need to be able to pass and offload the ball, I don't think Leamy or POC fit the bill here
    Leamy has the best hands for an Irish forward I've seen in a long long time.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Shane Horgan. He is a monster wing with everything, pace, power and a good touch.

Probably because they have better wingers in the form of Rokocoko, Sivivatu, Gear and Howlett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sure they have great wings but I would put Horgan on a par with their wings. I think that Horgan is our most undervalued performer. I put him on a par (in terms of importance) with BOD. POC and Darcy. He is a legend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sure they have great wings but I would put Horgan on a par with their wings. I think that Horgan is our most undervalued performer. I put him on a par (in terms of importance) with BOD. POC and Darcy. He is a legend!!

True, but only if he's played on the bloody WING!

daveirl wrote:
    I would say they would go outside Ireland. Botha, Mayfield for example.
    Lineout is the combination between thrower, lifter, jumper and the right call not just the jumper.

Worrytahs wrote:
    Leamy has the best hands for an Irish forward I've seen in a long long time.
    Are you mad?
    Eric Miller could pass of either hand just as well as most backs. Keith Wood also had a good pair of hands.
    Leamy is a work horse and a very powerful man but wouldn't be noted for great hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

well at the moment theyd take any established international second row, POC is the type of player that any team would need regardless if he has "good hands" or not sometimes when the backs against the wall you'd need someone that would do the basics and excel at doing so.

Habana would be phenomenal for them and Marco Bergamasco as well I'd reckon and Traille as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Are you mad?
    Eric Miller could pass of either hand just as well as most backs. Keith Wood also had a good pair of hands.
    Leamy is a work horse and a very powerful man but wouldn't be noted for great hands.

Agree with you on that one Tim. OK he can receive a ball and take it up, but I can't remember him passing much or off loading!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

No brainer. If it is just one player- O'Driscoll!!! It wouldn't matter who we had in the midfield (even Umanga) or who else was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Who would Ireland take from the ABs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Yerra their useless, take no one. :)

Wonder if we could convince them to take big mal..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

In all seriousness if we only had one I'd take Hayman. Not saying hes the best player, just I think he'd have the biggest impact on our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd go with Carl Hayman as well, shame he's ended up at Newcastle Falcons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Are you mad?
    Well then, watch him playing a little closer.
    A good example is his try vs England off the back of the lineout amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

pithater1 wrote:

I second this. Horgan wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Worrytahs wrote:
    A good example is his try vs England off the back of the lineout amongst others.
    he still knocked it on....even if nobody saw it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

pithater1 wrote:

I second this. Horgan wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

I think Horgan would be, along with the props, one of the last players NZ would want. They have an over abundance of big (like Horgan) fast (unlike Horgan) wingers. Horgan was good this season against England, he was vey poor (albeit out of position) against France, and very poor against Scotland. After the 6 nations he was very out of form for Leinster. I just hope the break has done him some good ahead of the WC.

Considering they've been picking McAllister out of position I think its a no brainer theyd take BOD...this thread should be titled "If they could have any OTHER Irish player"

• Advertisement

Worrytahs wrote:
    All he did there was catch a tricky ball.
    Can you give some exampes of him giving a good pass? Jerrry Collins plays in the middle of the line sometimes and teams expect him to bash up the middle but he can throw sublime skip passes when he wants to. NZ forwards generally are all very comfortable passing the ball of either hand.
    I've never seen Leamey throw a pass that U14 player couldn't.

Advertisement