Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm confused. george foreman or frying pan?

Options
  • 21-06-2007 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I'm a new guy on this board, but I've often glanced at it while ordering from domino's online
    Anyway, the little woman at home has recently been anoying me about buying her a george foreman grill: and its not even her birthday yet.
    She always used the 24" frying pan and I've complaints with her cooking: except she sometimes overcooks the eggs.
    Is this foreman thing some kind of fad or gimic to get me away from my frys? She was even stupid enough to tell me it would be better for my health but how could anything be more healty and natural than a good fryup in a frying pan.
    Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated on this issue........

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A george forman should only be used when the woman is away and for some odd reason you can't go to the chipper and thus need to cook food for yourself. If you buy one for her, it'll be used constantly. You can say goodbye to your fry's and before long you'll be eating rabbit food and bird seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

With a George Foreman you get to watch all the lovely grease and fat drain from what it is you are cooking - a mortal sin. Let herself cook her own food on the George Foreman and then she can pour all the fat that drained from her food into the frying pan as she prepares your fry up. It will inevitably end up more work for her, but ........................ meh.

Frying pan FTW.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

crosstownk wrote:
    With a George Foreman you get to watch all the lovely grease and fat drain from what it is you are cooking - a mortal sin. Let herself cook her own food on the George Foreman and then she can pour all the fat that drained from her food into the frying pan as she prepares your fry up. It will inevitably end up more work for her, but ........................ meh.

Frying pan FTW.

Very good idea. She gets her healthy food and you get the expanding beer gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

crosstownk wrote:

Frying pan FTW.
    I like to grate the previous days hardened fat over my chips, sort of like parmesan cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

CiaranC wrote:
    I like to grate the previous days hardened fat over my chips, sort of like parmesan cheese.
    My missues uses that cooking oil, thus she never gets all that fat for me. Shes a real health freek

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Use a chip pan and stop being such a health freak

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

crosstownk wrote:
    With a George Foreman you get to watch all the lovely grease and fat drain from what it is you are cooking

First post in this wonderful forum gents, but reminded me of something a friend told me about before.

She got a george foreman for her batchelor uncle who was skeptical at first but imagine her surprise a few weeks later when he was telling everyone how great it was.. 'does a lovely job on the few chops'...

She was delighted.. and then he said 'it gives a grand drop of gravy for the top of the dinner'

:D:D

doubtfir3 wrote:
    'it gives a grand drop of gravy for the top of the dinner'

:D:D

See this recycling at its best.

Anyway, we all know that pouring grease/fat down the drain is A) Bad for the sewerage system and B)A Mortal sin*

*For which you will be banned

We got a george foreman in our house. Not long after the deep fat fryer mysteriously vanished......

We got a george foreman in our house. Not long after the deep fat fryer mysteriously vanished......
    :mad:

I hope you called the Gardaí. The disappearance of deep fat fryer is a serious crime.

• Advertisement

We searched high and low, no sign of it. Attempts at replacement have not ended well.
    George foreman does do savage sausages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well the jury is out but the George foreman grill does mean you don't actually ahve to do any 'cooking'. Stick the chops, bacon, sausages on the grill and leave it there until ready.

Take it off the grill and onto a plate, then pour the lovely escaped juices back over the meat, grab a slice of bread to soak up anything that looks like staying on the plate when you've finished eating...mmm...lovely :D

crosstownk wrote:
    :mad:

I hope you called the Gardaí. The disappearance of deep fat fryer is a serious crime.

Live inprisonment for the b@stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

One piece of advice - don't try to fry an egg on a George Foreman grill! We have one but it's only used for toasting sandwiches (which it excels at). To be honest, the ordinary cooker grill does a much better job if you want to lose some of the fat from your rashers, sausages, and chops - and you should already have one. Use the money saved not buying the foreman for more beer. As for eggs, that's what frying pans were made for..

McSandwich wrote:
    One piece of advice - don't try to fry an egg on a George Foreman grill! We have one but it's only used for toasting sandwiches (which it excels at). To be honest, the ordinary cooker grill does a much better job if you want to lose some of the fat from your rashers, sausages, and chops - and you should already have one. Use the money saved not buying the foreman for more beer. As for eggs, that's what frying pans were made for..

I know a guy who tried to make a pizza on a George Forman. He's not exactly the brightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Brothers, I'm amazed at your knowledge of wimmins' utensils and catering!

I get a call and it's on the plate in front of me. I have no knowledge of the process involved beforehand!

(PS - I thought George Foreman was some sort of boxer! :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,313 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Brothers, I'm amazed at your knowledge of wimmins' utensils and catering!
    Emergencies happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

George Foreman are the best way of cooking food, granted they take out fat but what they do leave is unsupervised cooking meaning even WE can make food.

Some recipes i have concocted with one.

Breadie eggs as usual mix eggs and place bread into egg mix to soak up egg, lop on george return to tv, when smoke alarm goes off they done.

Scrambled eggs requires phonebook. Mix eggs with some milk and salt pepper throw in some onions and finely diced tomatas and some ham. Place phone book under george to make him level, pour on egg mix. Return to tv smoke alarm shall alert you to readiness.

Stale baguettes yah when they older then 3 minutes and go stale well george cane save them oven also works but get one cut it open butter it well, fill with ham cheese and bolognese sauce, wrap in tin foil stick on geore or oven for about 40 minutes. Worth it trust me ;)

sossie bean sambo, throw sossies on cook till black, get to slices of batch bread, slice sossies in half place onto bread arrange sossies in dam like formation, pour in beans put back onto george for 15ish minutes. Sossie bean sambo ...tasty.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    George Foreman are the best way of cooking food, granted they take out fat but what they do leave is unsupervised cooking meaning even WE can make food.

Some recipes i have concocted with one.

Breadie eggs as usual mix eggs and place bread into egg mix to soak up egg, lop on george return to tv, when smoke alarm goes off they done.

Scrambled eggs requires phonebook. Mix eggs with some milk and salt pepper throw in some onions and finely diced tomatas and some ham. Place phone book under george to make him level, pour on egg mix. Return to tv smoke alarm shall alert you to readiness.

Stale baguettes yah when they older then 3 minutes and go stale well george cane save them oven also works but get one cut it open butter it well, fill with ham cheese and bolognese sauce, wrap in tin foil stick on geore or oven for about 40 minutes. Worth it trust me ;)

sossie bean sambo, throw sossies on cook till black, get to slices of batch bread, slice sossies in half place onto bread arrange sossies in dam like formation, pour in beans put back onto george for 15ish minutes. Sossie bean sambo ...tasty.

kdjac

All hail KdjaCL - the Jamie Oliver of BGRH :D.

You should post more recipies and have them stickied. That way if there is an emergency i.e. no wimmin about, we will all have an invaluable reference to turn to.

I like the notion of unsupervised cooking. The George also turns itself off which is handy for the times when you pass out in a beer induced coma on the couch while the food is cooking.

The phonebook and the 'sausage dam' mean that we can keep that wonderful grease from draining away. Thank you for sharing that ingenious idea.

crosstownk wrote:
    You should post more recipies and have them stickied. That way if there is an emergency i.e. no wimmin about, we will all have an invaluable reference to turn to
    I find the telephone numbers of the Chinese/Indian/Chipper/Pizza to be invaluable references when there are no wimmin about! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Nordie

I use both depending on what I'm cooking and depending on what I'm doing. George is great if you're in a hurry or busy with something like boards.ie:D

I find the telephone numbers of the Chinese/Indian/Chipper/Pizza to be invaluable references when there are no wimmin about! :D

Point taken - but quite useless at 5am.....................;)

crosstownk wrote:
    Point taken - but quite useless at 5am.....................;)
    Didn't think of that! :eek: (although I'm occasionally having my breakfast in the fruit market at that time).

Wait! - Pot Noodle, the ultimate "can't cook" food! :D

(although I'm occasionally having my breakfast in the fruit market at that time)

In Brendan's I hope!

crosstownk wrote:
    In Brendan's I hope!
    Yup, you're on the ball crosstownk! :)

(:eek: do you dine there?)

I used to a few years back when I worked in town. Lately I only dine there if I've a job in that locality which is few and too far between. Man, I miss those batch sambos and the tea - a mighty cup of scald.

crosstownk wrote:
    Man, I miss those batch sambos and the tea - a mighty cup of scald.
    (Apologies Mods for going OT)

Funny you should mention batch bread crosstownk. In Brendan's, I usually specifically order my sandwich with "pan" bread which is embarassing because all the others stop munching to look up to see what class of oddball doesn't like real man's bread! :o:D

(Could I get thrown out of BGRH for admitting that I don't like batch? :eek:)

WA, you'll be easy to spot on my next visit, with your pan bread :rolleyes: :D

crosstownk wrote:
    WA, you'll be easy to spot on my next visit, with your pan bread :rolleyes: :D
    Well ,I usually say "ordinary" bread and they translate that to "pan" bread with a tone of contempt!

I'll have to alter my order now to protect my anonymity!

"Medium breakfast please Brendan, no batch" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

I know a guy who tried to make a pizza on a George Forman. He's not exactly the brightest.

That's something that could only make sense on return home from a long night of drinking :D

Advertisement