Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Passed today in Tallaght (centre with one of the lowest pass rates). My door wasnt closed properly when moving off from the centre so had to stop and close. Few places didnt leave enough space between my car and the one in front.

Got 4 grade two errors.

Thought I had failed at the very start for moving off with door not closed properly despite the fact the tester told me to check before we moved off.

2nd attempt. First was in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Galbin

Congrats Slow Show. The driving test is so indescribably hard and I am so chuffed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Passed today. Third attempt. Got 4 grade 2's. Got 11 last time, 8 the first time but 1 grade 3.

The difference this time I think was the fact that I did it in my own car, felt far more comfortable. I bought the car 6 weeks ago and effectively increased my practise on the road ten fold.

My advice to anyone, practise as much as you possibly can, the more driving you do the more comfortable you will be. Also try to do your test in the car you have done the most driving in.

Thank **** thats over.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Galbin

Congrats! May I ask how often you could practice and for how long? I just bought a car after saving up for the car, learner's insurance, and tax. However, my spouse does not drive and my parents died young, so I only have somebody to drive with twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

roguey wrote: »
    Passed today. Third attempt. Got 4 grade 2's. Got 11 last time, 8 the first time but 1 grade 3.

The difference this time I think was the fact that I did it in my own car, felt far more comfortable. I bought the car 6 weeks ago and effectively increased my practise on the road ten fold.

My advice to anyone, practise as much as you possibly can, the more driving you do the more comfortable you will be. Also try to do your test in the car you have done the most driving in.

Thank **** thats over.

Well done! I have a car and a fully licenced driver to accompany me. I couldn't agree more about the more driving you do - the more comfortable you get - I started 6 months ago and I'm now awaiting my test - will do it in my own car. Just to anyone starting out like me - drive everyday if its possible even if it's just down to the local town - I was so scared in the beginning and now I look forward to driving it's amazing the more you do it the better it gets!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

My wife passed yesterday in Churchtown at her second attempt.

No car so 46 hours of paid lessons so it is possible if you get a good instructor to pass without a car beforehand.

Good luck to all reading this yet to take their test.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Julygirl

Passed today in Gorey! First time taking the test! Got one grade 2 and one grade 1. I was positive the grade 2 was a grade 3 and thought I had failed on the spot. So delighted and relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Passed today first time with 2 grade 2's and 2 grade 1's !

Delighted tbh, test got off to a rough start when a car came around the corner at about 60 in a 30kph zone and nearly went into the side of me, however I reacted in time but still shook me for the rest of the test.

There was also a supervisor in the car with the tester so that didn't really help the nerves!

Delighted that is over with now, he commended me on my observations saying more and more are failing due to being too observant and obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 billybh

Passed yesterday in Tuam. First time with 2 grade 1's. I was very nervous before the test but once I got into the car I was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ace120387

Passed today second time at Finglas center with 6 grade 2 and 4 grade 1.
    Messed up on reverse went too far but then asked the tester that if I can go ahead and reverse back. She said alright. I got one grade two in competency in reverse. I thought I failed at that point but I didn't loose focus.
    Rest was fine it was raining a lot which didn't help.
    I think it is important to hold your nerves after you make a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 places

Hi before the test does the tester ask just road signs or is there theory questions as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 billybh

places wrote: »
    Hi before the test does the tester ask just road signs or is there theory questions as well ?

5 or 6 theory questions and 5 or 6 road signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I can't believe im saying this but I PASSED First time :D Did it in Churchtown. I got 5 grade 2's. I was messing up on stupid things due to nerves

I got extremely lucky too as i thought the test was at 2:30 but it was at 2:05. We were just early (or so we thought) Very stupid on my behalf make sure you double check the times!!! Or you'll be waiting months to go again.

Got it done with 17 lessons (12 is nowhere near enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Just passed first time in Churchtown after getting 6 grade twos. I got a few theory questions wrong so my confidence was shot and halfway through the test I had a feeling it was all over, but he looked me in the eyes at the end and said "well done, you've passed!" Feels surreal honestly.

EireLemon wrote: »
    Just passed first time in Churchtown after getting 6 grade twos. I got a few theory questions wrong so my confidence was shot and halfway through the test I had a feeling it was all over, but he looked me in the eyes at the end and said "well done, you've passed!" Feels surreal honestly.

Thank god you found that license so ! :D Well done!

Thank god you found that license so ! :D Well done!

Oh he's the guy that lost the license, I never connected the two :p Congrats EireLemon

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Oh he's the guy that lost the license, I never connected the two :p Congrats EireLemon

Haha thank god for the postman !

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Passed the other day so i went to centre to get full license. Said i need to do a medical? And this is a new thing and is requested of everyone? That true?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ace120387

Passed the other day so i went to centre to get full license. Said i need to do a medical? And this is a new thing and is requested of everyone? That true?

I got my license recently. There is a questionnaire in the form, I you have answered yes to any of those questions then you need to submit. Most of the people don't need it. Also you don't need an eye test either.

ace120387 wrote: »
    I got my license recently. There is a questionnaire in the form, I you have answered yes to any of those questions then you need to submit. Most of the people don't need it. Also you don't need an eye test either.

Nope didn't answer any of them. Also I'm Deaf, as i can hear nothing and i use ISL to communicate. My hearing will never get better , it is not a deliberating illness that will get worse, im Deaf, be like Jesus turning water into wine miracle. A Doctor wouldn't know anything about it, they wouldn't have the qualifications to determine that. I find it discrimatory in a way as you wouldn't ask a hearing person to have a medical to prove they are hearing. *went in, sorted, they don't like the discrimination word being used'.

• Advertisement

Nope didn't answer any of them. Also I'm Deaf, as i can hear nothing and i use ISL to communicate. My hearing will never get better , it is not a deliberating illness that will get worse, im Deaf, be like Jesus turning water into wine miracle. A Doctor wouldn't know anything about it, they wouldn't have the qualifications to determine that. I find it discrimatory in a way as you wouldn't ask a hearing person to have a medical to prove they are hearing. *went in, sorted, they don't like the discrimination word being used'.

Did you tick yes to question 41?

*A serious hearing deficiency which
    has worsened since your last
    application/renewal

Went to the NDLS center yesterday. There is no medical if you answered No to all the health questions.

Could it be because the person doing the application noticed you are deaf and just thought you needed a medical?

What happened when you went in and got it sorted. Did they make a mistake assuming you needed a medical report?

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Went to the NDLS center yesterday. There is no medical if you answered No to all the health questions.

Could it be because the person doing the application noticed you are deaf and just thought you needed a medical?

What happened when you went in and got it sorted. Did they make a mistake assuming you needed a medical report?

Nope, came up on computer, showed it to me. Went back in, complained that i hadn't ticked any boxes, they made a call, apologised and license issued.

Did you tick yes to question 41?

*A serious hearing deficiency which
    has worsened since your last
    application/renewal

I said i didn't answer yes to any of them. Why would i tick that, i can't hear at all:confused:

Nope, came up on computer, showed it to me. Went back in, complained that i hadn't ticked any boxes, they made a call, apologised and license issued.

Glad you got it sorted, Happy Driving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Passed today, Sligo - delighted! Got my permit in April so happy I don't have to do that again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senor Chang

Sorry to mention the medical form again, just a quick question, do you need to submit another medical form with your full licence application even if you submitted one to get your permit and nothing has changed since? Thanks!

I would ring to be sure if you need a second medical form.

When you fill out the application if you tick yes to any of the health questions you must submit a medical form, that medical form must be dated within the last month

Look at the first note at the end of the form
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/Medical_Report_D_501_Form.pdf

Judging by that i would assume you need a medical, even though you had one for the learner permit. But a quick ring and you'll get a definite answer

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭DublinCJM

Passed first time in Churchtown last Friday.

12 Grade 1s and 8 Grade 2s.

He just smiled at me afterwards and said "Just about".....

Delighted I won't have to go through that again.

• Advertisement

DublinCJM wrote: »
    Passed first time in Churchtown last Friday.

12 Grade 1s and 8 Grade 2s.

He just smiled at me afterwards and said "Just about".....

Delighted I won't have to go through that again.

A pass is a pass. Congratulations :D

Advertisement