Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Successful - post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NMC13

Passed on Tuesday in Wilton, Cork. Can't believe it! Second attempt and somehow got the same tester and same route as my first test.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Well done. It really is a great feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Passed in dungarvan a few weeks ago, great feeling, after two failed attempts

What I found that helped me was the following :
    Lessons and knowing the routes , just a case of paying for lessons I know it's expensive but just has to be done

Eat something before test , treat it like a normal drive ,

The day before don't drive and rest up, I got stuck into netfix :)

Good luck all!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Got it today! Absolutely delighted with myself :)

Did it in Churchtown. was half expecting it to be canceled!

28577306_1615530921835832_2204701956832585541_n.jpg?oh=8a6c860284add6782f5de2b7fcc9a552&oe=5B432DE1

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

I passed yesterday with 8 grade 2s! so barely passed. A few weeks ago I sat a near perfect test with 2 grade 1s and 1 grade 3. After failing the first time my driving seemed to go to sh*te and when I was doing my reverse around the corner in yesterday's test my leg actually shook so hard that I had to put the hand brake on and let it rest. My tester actually thought I had some physical condition when I showed him my leg! Thankfully he was understanding and I never felt judged (unlike the first tester). So happy to never have to do that again in my life and drive confidently and nerve-free now that I'm ot in a test environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Passed today in Tipp town on my second attempt! Absolutely delighted, even when I was doing the test I had no idea how it was going :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senor Chang

I'm still learning, and just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on how much practice is needed weekly? For example, did you try to have x number of lessons with an instructor, and x number with your accompanying driver? And how long were you learning for before you took/passed your test?

I know I'm not getting enough practice in as my parents aren't willing to take me out often, so would like to know what I should be doing and hope to convince them!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I'm still learning, and just wanted to see what people's thoughts were on how much practice is needed weekly? For example, did you try to have x number of lessons with an instructor, and x number with your accompanying driver? And how long were you learning for before you took/passed your test?

I know I'm not getting enough practice in as my parents aren't willing to take me out often, so would like to know what I should be doing and hope to convince them!

Do you have your own car?

When I started driving, after I did my first lesson or two with my driving instructor, I would drive everywhere with my accompanying driver (my mam). So if we were going getting shopping or going down the town or anything like that, I would drive. So I'd basically suggest try and drive as much as possible, if your parents are going getting the shopping, ask if you can drive instead to get some more experience. I was learning for over a year before I passed my test due to waiting times for tests, one that was not conducted, one that I failed and then the last one that I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭citygal93

Hi,

I got my car last August and did lessons rights up until March when I did my test. I was doing lessons with my instructor every 2 weeks, with 1 or 2 lessons with my dad between each. I don't live with my dad so it was harder to get a time that suited both of us than it would be for someone who lives with theirs. Just keep hounding your parents, any time they go out to the shops say "I'll drive!". The more used to the car you are, the more comfortable you'll be on the day of the test :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Senor Chang

Do you have your own car?

I do! The only other person that can take me out really is my brother who doesn't live with us anymore, so not many options unfortunately

Thank you all for the advice, I will definitely try driving them to and from wherever they're going and get more practice in!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

My daughter passed the test first time this week. As she is on the achieve package with Aviva and insured until June she does not want to get the full licence till then. Can she not get the licence now and drive as a novice or what way does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Passed this morning in Raheny, 4th time of asking :) Was very nervous as I was afraid I'd never pass after failing three times. think the tester allowed for that as I definitely over accelerated a couple of times. It's not an easy test centre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

Agent_47 wrote: »
    My daughter passed the test first time this week. As she is on the achieve package with Aviva and insured until June she does not want to get the full licence till then. Can she not get the licence now and drive as a novice or what way does it work?

Hi. Congrats to her for passing the test. The tester will have given her a Certificate of Competency.

She has up to 2 years to exchange this for a Full License and change her L Plates to N plates.

Until she applies to the NDLS and receives the Full license back from them, she is still technically a learner driver and must be accompanied and display L plates and stay off motorways etc.

So, she can wait till nearer the end of the current insurance to apply. Bear in mind that there is a lead time to get an appointment with the NDLS and then another lead time to receive the full license in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Passed in Churchtown a little while back, 3rd time of asking: 4 grade twos. Didn't see much of a difference between this drive and my 2nd attempt (which was a bad fail) but I wasn't complaining.

It feels weird to be driving on my own with no qualified driver beside me!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

Passed today in Mallow Co. Cork. 4th attempt but solid enough pass. 2 x grade two and 1 x grade 1. Really over the moon. The last instructor I used was just fabulous with pretexts etc. This was first time in Mallow (I’d tested in cork before). Over the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Passed my theory test today! Had the eyesight check done a few hours later :D

Have my learner permit appointment booked for the start of June - only upwards from here!

Passed today in Finglas, delighted 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 38 shmalentine

Passed today in Sligo! Absolutely delighted. Had gone into the test already having accepted that there was a slim to no chance of passing. (It was my first time)

I was taking lessons every other day for about ten days before the test and I seemed to be getting worse with each lesson. I started overthinking things and getting flustered, suddenly I started becoming acutely aware of every move I made and driving just became really unnatural. I felt like my lessons were really dragging on and thought the exam would as well but it flew by surprisingly .

Although Im sure he wont admit it, my instructor was definitely worried for me.

I have to say a bit of luck was on my side, the roads wernt too busy, the weather cleared up and my examiner seemed really reasonable. I got 4 grade 2's . If I'm being honest i think i deserved a bit more than that, I screwed up a turn on a roundabout so badly at one point i assumed I had failed right there and then.I was in the wrong gear and the wrong lane. He gave me 2 grade 2's for that.

I thought my nerves would get the better of me , I get can really jittery in high pressure situations like this but besides some awkward conversation at the beginning I stayed pretty calm . I drove a touch slower than I normal would , which helped me to stay calm, and gave me enough time to anticipate and collect my thoughts.

Anyways i had been immersing myself in all things driving for the past few days - on boards and youtube so i thought i'd share. Sorry for the long post , just very happy.

Best of luck to anyone who has their test coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Passed this morning in Tallaght

Had a learner permit for years and had failed the test twice before

Took a break from driving for 3 years while I was living in the UK., returned home in April booked my test

Did some lessons to eradicate the bad habits from when I first started driving (never did proper lessons, my dad thought me in an industrial estate, passed with 4 grade 2's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rizdub

passed this morning in Tallaght on my first attempt :) very relieved as it was my third learner permit and i was delaying the test for long time..
    had a valid license from US as drove there for 6+ years but had to go through the classes n theory test etc like a new driver in Ireland.

my test instructor was friendly and professional. overall a good experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Passed today in Sligo! .

I passed in Sligo in Monday as well! Second time round. I had 11 grade twos last time, just 2 grade 2s this time. Funny enough, I had the same person testing me as last time. I had thought this wasn't allowed? And there were two people on that day testing. Oh well, I passed, that's the main thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Passed in Dublin. Was my second attempt.

I was actually more nervous this second time. I wasn't too worried if I failed the first time but I really didn't want to fail a second time. I only got 3 grade 2s. First time had 12 grade 2s!

I don't know if it made much of a difference but the tester I had this time was much friendler. Eventhough I didn't ask, he told me I got all the theory questions right and advised me to just relax and don't worry about the first test.

In contrast, my first tester had a certain cold professional detachment which might have subcontiously intimitated me.

It is really disconcerting when you see the tester out of the corner of your eye tapping away on his tablet during the test. It makes you second guess yourself and wonder if you've done too many things wrong.

Anyway, delighted to have passed. It feels good to post in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Passed yesterday yearly morning in Tallaght, first go, no any traffic on the road.
    Did find it quite easy as i'I've been driving for few years over here on a foreign licence.. .that cannot be exchanged, but allowing me to drive as long was valid and up to date...
    So did got the full in just over 2 months, starting from zero+rsa exemption.
    Good luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Passed on my second try today in Finglas, absolutely delighted.
    Tester was absolutely bang on, made me feel very at ease, talked to me normally (not making me nervous).

Now, the insurance saga is the next thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Passed today in Finglas after previously failing in Navan. Just moved to the area so didn't know the area well, or the routes at all. Thankfully  a quick pre-test lesson with Callan's helped fix a few bad habits I picked up since the last test!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beatricebutrus

I passed last week, on my second go. I actually got more marks on this one, as I failed with a grade 3 on my last way for a right of way when doing the corner turn -4 cars arrived at the junction as I was half way through going around and I tried to pull in (bad move). The last tester was great and said I had it, and would pass next time, but also to improve on blind spots.
    This time, the tester gave me 11 marks, and seemed generally pissed off with me. I was cutting it fine at the test centre, as was feeling very sick with nerves, and went straight into the loo. Even though it was still before my test time when I came out, he called me straight in. Afterwards, when giving feedback, he said it was really bad form for me not to have been there sitting waiting. I felt like telling him it was better than me puking on his desk. He also said I was over-doing it when giving clearance to parked cars (I have never had that comment before, I always give a car door width and avoid weaving with multiple cars). He also said I was overchecking blind spots, which I probably was, as my last tester had said I wasn't checking enough and I was trying to be very conscious of. He gave me a grade 2 for my corner turn, which was a bit sore, and he said it was poor. I was going super slow, as my last tester said I needed to slow it way down, so maybe he thought I wasn't confidant in it.
    I'm feckin delighted to be done with it, as I had been driving for a few years in a provisional, then went away for a few years, and then when I came back had to start with the EDT from scratch. I then kept paying for lessons as I don't have a car, just to keep the practice up, so it hasn't been cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Passed yesterday with 5 grade 2's second effort in Wilton. Thank god its done. Got 3 of them for progression on straight, one more and I'd have failed but he said he couldn't do it to me as my driving was good just to watch it when I am driving.

RELIEF

Even though it was still before my test time when I came out, he called me straight in. Afterwards, when giving feedback, he said it was really bad form for me not to have been there sitting waiting.

This basically happened to me when I passed my test too, I turned up about 15 minutes before my test time, and the tester was standing outside waiting for me seemed pissed off at me for not being there, even though I was early :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Slow Show wrote: »
    I haven't failed (yet :P) but my test is coming up and I'm really discouraged at the moment. I was doing a good bit of driving over the summer and have been on-off learning to drive for the best part of a year, but I actually feel so awful at it. I feel like I can get from A to B, in fact I felt I was getting quite good and confident, but now I feel like I've barely progressed at all... I had a lesson that I hoped to be a pre-test with a different instructor to my usual today, and he literally (very nicely and politely) criticized just about everything I did, from my clutch control to my gear changes to my braking to my steering to my position on the road. We ended up doing a few circuits of a housing estate just going through the gears. It felt like I was back at lesson 2 when this was lesson 17 for me, a mere two weeks before my test...I also had a lesson with my regular instructor last week and that was fairly terrible too, with lots of basic errors and a couple of things that would have been Grade 3s on the day.

A few weeks ago I honestly felt like I was in with a chance but now that I've been back to doing these pre-test lessons I've been feeling so so inept, and my confidence has been really shook. I honestly have no expectation to pass. I'll do the test because it was hard enough to get a date and if nothing else it will make attempt #2 less daunting. And sure I suppose the only way to make my prospects of passing less likely is to not sit the thing at all. :P But at this point I'm feeling quite deflated about the whole thing indeed.

In response to this post of doom...this morning I had my test and I PASSED!!!! :D So delighted. I found learning to drive to be really difficult and something that didn't come naturally to me at all, but got out in the car loads this summer and even in the last two weeks before the test feel I came along a long way. I only had two Grade 2s in the end! From my practicing the test route was a dream and it was a lovely time to be on the roads, just after the school rush.

I am no stranger to stressful exams but that that's very high up there to the most elated I've felt to find out I've passed. I could have cried when I was shown the certificate of competency. So glad that I never have to think about doing the test or booking lessons or pestering my dad to come for drives with me again. :D

Good luck to everyone still to sit their test. Honestly if I can pass it anyone can, it took me so long to start being any good at driving. :pac: Keep practicing, the only way is up. :)

Advertisement