Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadstone to re-open

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

The photo Victor posted above is where a bridge ran across the main road and over towards Blessington Street.
    I wonder if the Luas was run up to the front of Broadstone, could a new bridge be put in place similar to the old one, crossing Phibsboro road from Broadstone towards Blesington Street basin?

No disruption of traffic, and the Luas could run up to Broadstones forecourt.

BTW, in relation to the versatility of Luas, I think this photo says it all..

Or this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

No..

Blessington Street Basin still exists and it is at the end of Blessington Street.

I think that the linear park is very suitable but is rather a dead end at the canal as another poster pointed out. I would also anticipate local unease at its loss.

The idea of having heavy rail on the old alignment and LRT on top carries merit. There would be 3 at grade crossings at which 2 LRT stops could be located. The route into Finglas from Liffey Junction would be slightly easier that from say Mountjoy. Would require demolition and construction of three bridges though.

Regardless of all this I still don't understand why IE don't push for a station behind the Porter House North on the site of the old Glasnevin station.

Winters wrote:
    Blessington Street Basin still exists
    Yes but the canal went all the way to the front of Broadstone station, which where T21 Fan is talking about as far as I know.. It was filled in after the station opened

Yes but the canal went all the way to the front of Broadstone station, which where T21 Fan is talking about as far as I know.. It was filled in after the station opened

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the Blessington Street Basin.

Broadstone_1920.JPG

The attached drawing would indicate that the old basin was filled in sometime around 1879 then. Interesting stuff.

Would it not be possible to run the Luas along the Canal to Liffey Junction from Cross Guns bridge?

I have always felt that running the Luas under the North circular Road using the Canal bridge and alignment would be more useful than using the Broadstone alignment as the population on the Broadstone alignment really only picks up at at Cabra.

You are going to see mountjoy prison redeveloped soon, so you would have that massive site and the Mater on one side, and Phibsboro village on the other.

I can't see people rushing up to the North Circular road or the Navan road to take the Luas if it were on the Broadstone alignment as that would entail moving away from the city centre to use it

• Advertisement

The RPA shall argue that the Mater metro north stop shall cater for patrons within that area.

Ideally a station at Porter House north as I pointed out would do as much.

The Broadstone route, I imagine, would be straighter and thus faster out to the N2 and Finglas.

Isnt there a Library blocking the canal bed at the NSR or is it to one side? I cant remember.

There is always the possibility of running on-street straight up through Phibsborough, it is a tram after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Winters wrote:
    There is always the possibility of running on-street straight up through Phibsborough, it is a tram after all..
    The streets are tight enough and over-subscribed there already.

The library is just north of the NCR on the old canal branch, there is also some sort of light industrial building behind it also. Much as the library is a nice building, replacing it would be relatively cheap.

One could also do a cut-and-cover job and keep most of the park. Much cheaper and less disruption than an under-road cut-and-cover.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote:
    The streets are tight enough and over-subscribed there already.

The library is just north of the NCR on the old canal branch, there is also some sort of light industrial building behind it also. Much as the library is a nice building, replacing it would be relatively cheap.

One could also do a cut-and-cover job and keep most of the park. Much cheaper and less disruption than an under-road cut-and-cover.
    What about the fact that such a route wouldn't go close to Grangegorman as I highlighted above?

spacetweek wrote:
    What about the fact that such a route wouldn't go close to Grangegorman as I highlighted above?
    Why wouldn't it?:confused:

If the Luas runs to Broadstone and then follows the old canal alignment, it will be serving Grangegorman..

Grangegorman and Broadstone back on to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, Connolly Station also serves Broadstone (but not as well).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Why wouldn't it?:confused:

If the Luas runs to Broadstone and then follows the old canal alignment, it will be serving Grangegorman..

Grangegorman and Broadstone back on to each other
    Using the canal route it would not come closer to Grangegorman road than 450 metres as far as I can see. See my map.

Broadstone is the only alignment which gets you reasonably close to Grangegorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Just saw this over at IRN.....Information was posted there be user Kildare Commuter:

"From Sat IT

Broadstone station to reopen 70 years on

Tim O'Brien

Iarnród Éireann is to reopen Broadstone station in Dublin to passenger traffic some 70 years after services to the north inner-city station ceased.

The company said new tracks will be laid between Broadstone and Liffey Junction, a distance of 2.5km, where the route will connect with the Maynooth line.

Iarnród Éireann said the line could be open by 2010 in tandem with the reopening of the Clonsilla-Dunboyne phase of the Navan rail line.

Commuter services using the station will originate in Kildare, Maynooth and on the Northern Line.

The company also sees the station facilitating the development of services from Athlone, via Mullingar to Broadstone. Currently trains from Athlone serve Heuston Station via Portarlington, Co Laois.

The work will also involve new electronic signalling and the building of new ticket offices and passenger facilities. The total cost of the project is estimated at €35 million.

It is planned that Bus Éireann - which has its headquarters in the original, listed station buildings - will remain in place.

The decision to reopen Broadstone as a passenger terminus follows growth of up to 20 per cent in passenger numbers on some Dublin routes over the last year. It also follows the opening of the new Docklands Station, which is already catering for 1,000 commuters at morning peak times.

The reopening is expected to cater for up to 5,000 commuters per hour in each direction on the basis of a 15-minute frequency of commuter trains.

Iarnród Éireann notes Broadstone would have a wide catchment area in the city itself and points out that a Luas line is to be extended to the station by 2012.
    © 2007 The Irish Times":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Surprised Tim O'Brien fell for this. Ken Griffen in the Sunday Tribune called the DoT and guess what
    a spokeswoman for the department said that it would not approve CIE's scheme
    http://forum.platform11.org/showpost.php?p=20975&postcount=1

Given the Department of Transport turned them down hard to see how this will happen.

I'd be very interested to see how you can run Northern line and Kildare line trains from Broadstone...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I found that rather amusing too.....what are the northern line trains going to do.....arrive in Connolly and the go back the other way down the Newcommen curve??? and then switch direction again at Broombridge???

lol

Advertisement