Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best college to go for the craic

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Come on buddy. Grow up. Choose the college with the course that interests you the most or just dont go at all.

Jesus cmon ppl go to college not just to learn but meet ppl and have good crack, the course will come 1st for most ppl but you gotta have fun too dont ya? im in carlow, and as the guy above says the nightlife is great and if your science department is anythin like the computer department it'll have nice lecturers and its a fairly laid back atmosphere to the college. cant comment on other colleges as its the only one ive been too though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

athlone it

hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 welish

Plenty of people go to college for the craic, probably don't even care what they study. Yet they still get a degree and make an important contribution to society. If this guy gets a degree in Chemistry, with all the pharmaceutical companies in Ireland he'll have no problem getting a job. If people didn't have fun going to college, a lot less people would graduate, and there would be an increased shortage of skills.

His employer isn't gonna say "Hmm, I heard this guy had too much fun in college, lets employ someone a bit more boring."

Also, you're wrong to suggest fee paying hasn't caused problems in England. A lot less people finish secondary school and go on to University.
    OP, the only recommendation I can make is live away from home, if you can afford it. You develop independance and a lot of interesting experiences.

I agree completely. With the government paying fees, it makes uni far more enticing for a lot of teenagers. I have friends who dossed their way through college but got stuck into the books for exams and got good degrees. And now they have good jobs in the business sector. The same lads wouldn't have went if fees were involved, and I'd hate to think what they'd be getting up to now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

letterkenny it is also a top place

courses are very good, cao points are low (for those interested in doing law/legal studies and science), accommodation is cheap about €50-€60 per week (decent gaffs)

nightlife, was legendary ten or so years ago, fantastic when i was there, even better at the weekend. a lot of choice night life, women are unbelievable, then ya got the muckers from derry (shwing) on saturday nights. the college and town attrached most of the big name comedians and dj's to the town. dont let the distace bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I have friends who dossed their way through college but got stuck into the books for exams and got good degrees. And now they have good jobs in the business sector.

Baaahahaha, they did business, of course they were dossin' for 4 years.

Tis joke subject.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Thats what loans are for, people still attend universities in fee-paying countries. People below a certain level of income could still get fees paid, as has been suggested.

Really? Because that hasn't happened in countries that have fee-paying colleges. What a silly, ill-thought out argument.

i really do not want to sound offensive but you really need to check out some parts of the country so see the realities that not everyone reaped from the celtic tiger. loans were always around but people still could not afford to take a loan out. even in today's society, not everyone is so careless or easy going about taking out loans or even top ups (not everyone has mummy and daddy to fall back on!) they are reluctant to take them as they know full well that they will have difficulty paying off the monthly installments etc as one poster pointed. do you think mature students would be enticed to return to education if fees were back-considering many probably have enough financial responsibilities such a mortgages etc?

the colleges and universities have a choice, there is nothing stopping them from going private like places like griffith were you buy your degree.

why should the bright but less well off child be prevented from higher education? if they wealthy people feel so concerned well then let them off and pay the fees. (in fairness even they have it hard if there are 3-4 children to educate)

ireland is now moving away from manufacturing etc and more into knowledge base and services (well ok tourism was huge in 1990's) how is someone going to gain new skills to met these requirements without college/university?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

going on the city/town they are in id say galway or athlone it would be the best for craic.definately not dit.i know loads in dit who say its ****.the key is to live on campus or in some student accomodation.always the best for parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I cant believe the people ridiculing this guy. Did you not read his posts at all?! Especially the guy saying "teenagers these days".

The guy has already explained he's going back to get his Chemistry degree after already doing the diploma in it. He has already said the degree course is pretty much the same between the colleges he's asked about, so the next criteria is quality of life, where he'll actually enjoy the year the most. Seems pretty reasonable to me! If i have a choice of several colleges offering the same course id go for the one in the most enjoyable place!

^+1

He introduced himself as someone interested in Chemistry that is also interested in having fun. Nothing wrong with that at all. He is going to go to parties whether he is in school or not.
    i really do not want to sound offensive but you really need to check out some parts of the country so see the realities that not everyone reaped from the celtic tiger. loans were always around but people still could not afford to take a loan out. even in today's society, not everyone is so careless or easy going about taking out loans or even top ups (not everyone has mummy and daddy to fall back on!) they are reluctant to take them as they know full well that they will have difficulty paying off the monthly installments etc as one poster pointed. do you think mature students would be enticed to return to education if fees were back-considering many probably have enough financial responsibilities such a mortgages etc?

the colleges and universities have a choice, there is nothing stopping them from going private like places like griffith were you buy your degree.

why should the bright but less well off child be prevented from higher education? if they wealthy people feel so concerned well then let them off and pay the fees. (in fairness even they have it hard if there are 3-4 children to educate)

ireland is now moving away from manufacturing etc and more into knowledge base and services (well ok tourism was huge in 1990's) how is someone going to gain new skills to met these requirements without college/university?

I paid fees to go to a US university. I had a scholarship which paid the "In-State" price (which is about half of the out-of-state price i would have had to pay). Most of the US pays big fees, but only about 20% of the nation goes. Most students' parents take care of the tuition, but everyone works (hard) during the summer (seasonal jobs like landscaping, painting houses, etc) to pay for their living expenses during the year. Most of those living expenses go to parties anyway.

All else considered, you should study hard and have a good time while you still can. Young people are expected to party, which means that the older you get - the more innapropriate it becomes. Party now and get it out of your system before you need to wake up early everyday and go to work to support a spouce and family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 willy84k

wit all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

cit is a laugh, im in 1st year there at the mo and i love it! best nights out and events ever :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement