Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best college to go for the craic

Options
  • 05-06-2007 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

I will be going to one of the Institute of technologies in Ireland ,I haven't made my mind up yet but will probably choose between IT carlow,GMIT,LIT,DIT,CIT and WIT

Which would be the best craic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

First and foremost, choose a college that contains the course that you're interested in.

Secondly, my advice is go to the college which is closer to you. There's nothing worse in life than spending most of your day commuting or working hellofalot of hours overtime in a monotonous part-time job to make ends meet. If you're located slap bang in the middle of Ireland, then you have more complicated problems to deal with.

The best craic is to be had in the minutes between lectures. It really depends on the type of characters that you'll get in your group, though ;)

The best college for drinking-related craic is perhaps Dundalk IT. Once, I came into the library while being really drunk and nobody cared, even though I crashed into a bookshelf. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

DIT itself isnt amazing but the fact its beside trinity and in town means theres always banter somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I will be going to one of the Institute of technologies in Ireland ,I haven't made my mind up yet but will probably choose between IT carlow,GMIT,LIT,DIT,CIT and WIT

you haven't made up your mind?? obviously you are not doing your leaving this year so, because ultimately that final choice of where to go will be down to the CAO and not you.

As a previous poster said, pick the institution closest to your home town as this will save a sh*tload of travelling and cost on your behalf each weekend. Second don't think going to an IT will mean a walk in the park, too much banter and you won't make it past the first Xmas exams in first year (like two of my friends and about 10 of my class did).

I spent 5 years (cert, diploma, degree, high diploma) in Athlone IT and it was great craic, but some serious studying especially in the run up to the degree was needed even by the guys and gals who were totally off their head each nite :D

I also visited the other side of the fence (ie university) having spent 2 years in NUI Galway doing a masters and that was probably easier study wise (believe it or not) but a little more sedate nightlife wise (still great craic though nonetheless)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

the thing is im going back to do my hons degree in chemistry,it will only one year to do, I have my diploma.The degree is the much the same whereevr I go so in what order would you put these colleges

gmit
    carlow it
    dit
    cit
    wit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The key to the craic is to move into the colleges residence. You usually have more fun when away from home. Waterford IT was meant to be great fun back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

for the craic?

an unorthadox reasoning for selecting a college...

anyway where in dublin would be the best for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

This ladies and gentlemen is the reason why we need to return to tuition fees. To think the state is going to spend €5,000pa to send him ^^^^ to college.

Unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

I have to say, I had a choice between Trinity and Maynooth for the same course and I chose Maynooth, for the craic.It's a perfectly justified variable in the decision.You might aswell be happy, life isn't all about the future but about enjoying the present aswell.

pisslips wrote:
    I have to say, I had a choice between Trinity and Maynooth for the same course and I chose Maynooth, for the craic.It's a perfectly justified variable in the decision.You might aswell be happy, life isn't all about the future but about enjoying the present aswell.

Depends on the degree and how seriously you take your future. I think there are too many people in uni who have no interest, and quite frankly they shouldnt be there. A return to fee-paying universities would weed these people out nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

This ladies and gentlemen is the reason why we need to return to tuition fees. To think the state is going to spend €5,000pa to send him ^^^^ to college.

Unbelievable.

Nah... I'd rather reduce social welfare. :P

Btw, I've applied to a certain course DIT just so I could lead an interesting life after college.

Uni/college/IOT is not really meant to be the most fun-filled period of time in your life. I mean, you've got about 50 or 60 or even more years in your life, people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 gavo82

This guy is unbelieable!! he is choosing his future over which college is the best craic!! teenagers these days are just terrible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Hugh Mongus

Come on buddy. Grow up. Choose the college with the course that interests you the most or just dont go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Unbelievable.

Over 10K pa when you consider the universitys budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,300 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I cant believe the people ridiculing this guy. Did you not read his posts at all?! Especially the guy saying "teenagers these days".

The guy has already explained he's going back to get his Chemistry degree after already doing the diploma in it. He has already said the degree course is pretty much the same between the colleges he's asked about, so the next criteria is quality of life, where he'll actually enjoy the year the most. Seems pretty reasonable to me! If i have a choice of several colleges offering the same course id go for the one in the most enjoyable place!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

Give the guy a break, the end result he is getting is gonna be more or less the same whever he goes, he just wants to know which is the best fun. College is about study AND fun.

From what I have heard Waterford is meant to be a great little place.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

College is also about having fun too.I go to C.I.T. Great fun! I.T of the year 2006 and some other years i beleive!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pinky07

Defineteley CIT I go there brilliant craic and brilliant atmosphere in the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

DkIT is great craic, but the craic in DkIT doesn't want you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Carlow has great night life

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Everyone thinks their own college is the best craic, maybe visit the places and find out yourself?

And a return to tuition fees, terrible terrible suggestion

• Advertisement

:| wrote: »
    Everyone thinks their own college is the best craic, maybe visit the places and find out yourself?

And a return to tuition fees, terrible terrible suggestion

Why? Do you realise how uncompetitive it is making Irish universities when bidding for lecturers? In fact all of Europe is suffering from this problem. But of course, its only a terrible idea because it will mean people wont be getting 3 years dossing on the house anymore. Boo hoo.

Do you realise how many families will have large financial problems sending their kids to college? Also less people going to college means less skilled labour means Ireland becomes much less attractive to businesses looking to relocate means less jobs, economy goes downhill

Do you realise how many families will have large financial problems sending their kids to college?

Thats what loans are for, people still attend universities in fee-paying countries. People below a certain level of income could still get fees paid, as has been suggested.
    Also less people going to college means less skilled labour means Ireland becomes much less attractive to businesses looking to relocate means less jobs, economy goes downhill

Really? Because that hasn't happened in countries that have fee-paying colleges. What a silly, ill-thought out argument.

Thats what loans are for, people still attend universities in fee-paying countries. People below a certain level of income could still get fees paid, as has been suggested.

Really? Because that hasn't happened in countries that have fee-paying colleges. What a silly, ill-thought out argument.

Students who are forced to take out loans then have to worry about repayment of loans, bad credit ratings etc. Already there are huge amounts of people in debt because of student loans that they had to take out to cover the cost of living.

People below a certain income could still get fees paid? This old situation where the only people that can afford to go to college are the really rich or the really poor.

I was talking about Ireland specifically, the amount of companies that have been attracted here because of our skilled labour is huge, with many connected to colleges

Students who are forced to take out loans then have to worry about repayment of loans, bad credit ratings etc. Already there are huge amounts of people in debt because of student loans that they had to take out to cover the cost of living.

When you look at the bigger picture, getting yourself in some debt is a small price to pay for a good salary. At least it will weed out the assholes who go the college 'for the craic'.

People below a certain income could still get fees paid? This old situation where the only people that can afford to go to college are the really rich or the really poor.

What makes you think that the middle classes wont be able to send their kids to college, even it requires them to take out a loan to do so? I love your over-simplistic view to things. Could you give me an example of a fee-paying country where the middle class dont get to send their kids to college?
    I was talking about Ireland specifically, the amount of companies that have been attracted here because of our skilled labour is huge, with many connected to colleges

So what? Is Ireland some kind of vortex where the rules of economics dont apply? Give me an example for a country that has fee-paying colleges and has lost business because of it.

In addition, these connections to colleges are a clause in the low corporation tax that they enjoy here. Multi-nationals dont work with colleges because they want it, its because they are forced to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

daithifleming, you sir, have an attitude problem.

Nehpets wrote: »
    daithifleming, you sir, have an attitude problem.

Que?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

When you look at the bigger picture, getting yourself in some debt is a small price to pay for a good salary. At least it will weed out the assholes who go the college 'for the craic'.

Plenty of people go to college for the craic, probably don't even care what they study. Yet they still get a degree and make an important contribution to society. If this guy gets a degree in Chemistry, with all the pharmaceutical companies in Ireland he'll have no problem getting a job. If people didn't have fun going to college, a lot less people would graduate, and there would be an increased shortage of skills.

His employer isn't gonna say "Hmm, I heard this guy had too much fun in college, lets employ someone a bit more boring."

Also, you're wrong to suggest fee paying hasn't caused problems in England. A lot less people finish secondary school and go on to University.
    OP, the only recommendation I can make is live away from home, if you can afford it. You develop independance and a lot of interesting experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mrDuke

Im in WIT hands down best college in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

mrDuke wrote: »
    Im in WIT hands down best college in ireland
    ja think?

Advertisement