Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jumbo156 wrote:
    When provisional licences are issued the address is not checked, it is checked for Full driving licence.

I don't understand this. In both cases, when you go for a driving licence, the licence is posted out to your address. Therefore, incorrect address = no licence in both cases. Also, in both cases you're not obliged to get a new licence when your address changes. When I got both my provisional and full licences, I had them posted to addresses that I was renting at the time in both cases. So I don't see what extra verification they could have done on my address.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Just get a damn passport, you never know when it will come in handy. You will presumably have someneed to travel further afield than Britain sometime soon, if not then you should expand your horizons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

5starpool wrote:
    Just get a damn passport

no need to be rude

i am a terrible traveller- get awful motion sickness so i dont travel anywhere so dont see the point getting it if its not needed cos i wont be using it

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

robinph wrote:
    Still does not mean that they are governed my England though, and didn't they already ban smoking ahead of England and that sounds a bit like making their own laws to me.
    Either way the Common Travel Area is between Ireland and the UK...Wales is in the UK so that means you dont need a passport to go to Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

Jumbo156 wrote:
    When provisional licences are issued the address is not checked, it is checked for Full driving licence.
    If anyone has joined Xtravision will know, they will not accept provisional licences for a form of ID but will accept Full Driving licecnces
    My provisional licence has my address on it so they obviously do check it if they print it on the thing.
    Wow, it doesnt matter what way Xtravision give out membership, if they wanted they could accept a bus pass. The rules are completely different when you're going to a different country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Basically if you have an ID that has a picture you can use it ie drivers licence or passport. If it doesnt have a picture, you can not "officially" use it.

I fly and/or drive back and forth to the UK on average every 2-3 weeks to do various photography work. As I have a UK driving licence, I have had some stick from the immigration boys at Shannon & Dublin (especially the new ones trying to be all official) as I was told I needed to use my passport.

I always have my licence on me for car hire so I tend to stick with that as its easier to carry and then dont have the added worry about losing my passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

You will need photo id getting back into Ireland, prob won't be any checks in Wales, but deffo checks in Ireland. They can be a bit difficult in Ireland.

Advertisement