Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport

Options
  • 05-06-2007 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I am going to oakwood in wales in August and I dont know or not weather i need a passport

i have been told by a few people that ireland and england have an agreement regarding this and no passports required

But other people have been telling me i do need it

My passport has to be renewed if this is the case but im getting a different story off everyone

Anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you got a drivers license? That would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bolliwoodi

are you going on the ferry or plane? neither will ask for a passport, they will want you to provide acceptable i.d in either case, which I'm sure you you can find out what they deem acceptable on their website. (ferries don't even ask for i.d) i did the oakwood trip from rosslare last year and no i.d needed just tickets asked for

we are taking the ferry from wexford

nope no drivers licence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭patrickc

are you going on the ferry or plane? neither will ask for a passport, they will want you to provide acceptable i.d in either case, which I'm sure you you can find out what they deem acceptable on their website. (ferries don't even ask for i.d) i did the oakwood trip from rosslare last year and no i.d needed just tickets asked for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Ruu wrote:
    Have you got a drivers license? That would work.
    It has to be a full licence

• Advertisement

we are getting the ferry from wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭patrickc

bolliwoodi wrote:
    we are getting the ferry from wexford

something wierd with the repies in this thread, there shouldn't be any problems we were just asked for tickets..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I always travel with a passport to/from the UK even though I've always been informed that all that is needed is a good means of identity (eg driver's license, etc). My rationale is that all it takes is one security goon who doesn't know that a passport is not essential and your holiday is ruined.

Having said that, here's a link to check out.

Extract :
    A passport is not required for travel between Great Britain and Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Regards,

Liam

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Information from Citizensinformation.ie:

Common Travel Area between Ireland and the United Kingdom

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your going to Wales but then go on to ask about an agreement between Ireland and England over not needing a passport. :confused:

You'll be OK without a passport for getting the ferry across to Wales, but they might stop you at the border to England if you decide to go any further east if you don't have your passport on you though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

When I was on the ferry from Rosslare to Fishguard the bus got stopped and everyone ordered off it so they can search and everyone got asked for ID or passport. Best to get one just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

robinph wrote:
    Your going to Wales but then go on to ask about an agreement between Ireland and England over not needing a passport. :confused:

You'll be OK without a passport for getting the ferry across to Wales, but they might stop you at the border to England if you decide to go any further east if you don't have your passport on you though. ;)

Not to mention the problems they may have getting back into Wales from England... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

davyjose wrote:
    It has to be a full licence

Why, do they expect you to drive the ferry?

Stark wrote:
    Why, do they expect you to drive the ferry?
    No believe it or not, when you pass your driving test, it doesn't include ferries - it's got something to do with tracing it back to your address or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

You don't need a passport to travel to the UK.

Having said that, you can get your passport in 3 days with proof of travel, so if i were you i would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

davyjose wrote:
    No believe it or not, when you pass your driving test, it doesn't include ferries - it's got something to do with tracing it back to your address or something.
    a provisional license has the address on it too. i'm confused, is a pink license easier to trace than other types?

full licenses are pink right?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

davyjose wrote:

A provisional driving licence is perfectly valid as photo ID. Even Ryanair accept it, and they're renowned ***** when it comes to refusing people travel for whatever reason they can think up. The address on your driving licence means nothing, whether you have a full licence or a provisional licence as there's no requirement in Ireland for you to keep it up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

robinph wrote:

Wales is governed by England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Besprechen

a work photo ID is sufficient, i show mine everytime i fly back to ireland from uk and havent once been asked for driving licence (even though i carry it just in case) or a passport, never been asked for ID when taking the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭looksee

testicle wrote:

Do the Welsh know about this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

testicle wrote:
    Cork is governed by Dublin more so than Wales is governed by England. Wales at least do get to make up some of their own laws and add funny words to their road signs.

looksee wrote:
    Do the Welsh know about this?

They do, and have known so since 1536.
    robinph wrote:
    Wales at least do get to make up some of their own laws and add funny words to their road signs.

They don't get to make up their own laws (you're confusing them with Scotland!) - but what they do get to do is amend some English Law, within limits. Powers set to expand after the Assembly elections this year.

testicle wrote:
    They don't get to make up their own laws (you're confusing them with Scotland!) - but what they do get to do is amend some English Law, within limits. Powers set to expand after the Assembly elections this year.
    Still does not mean that they are governed my England though, and didn't they already ban smoking ahead of England and that sounds a bit like making their own laws to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

testicle wrote:
    They don't get to make up their own laws

Don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Irish Wolf wrote:

Burn.

I think the thing with the provisional licence not properly accepted is that it is your local county council that acutally administers the issue of the licence, whereas i presume it is the Department of Transport for Full licence

I think the thing with the provisional licence not properly accepted is that it is your local county council that acutally administers the issue of the licence, whereas i presume it is the Department of Transport for Full licence
    Yeah - I knew there was a reason, I just didn't know what it was, some recent pub talk whittled it down to the address thing, but now I know. Thank you DB

Irish Wolf wrote:

It appeas that the Assembley Elections have taken place so! If you read the last line of my second post, you will note that I mentioned this!

As regards the date of the smoking ban, that was amending westminister legislation.

Wales is still not governed by England though.

• Moderators Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thats not quite correct:
    While the Department of Transport has overall responsibility for driver licensing, your local authority is a licensing authority and issue driving licences.

There is no distinction between full or provisional licences for identity purposes. More information here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

When provisional licences are issued the address is not checked, it is checked for Full driving licence.
    If anyone has joined Xtravision will know, they will not accept provisional licences for a form of ID but will accept Full Driving licecnces

Advertisement